Reparkerizing My Garand?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by CA357, Apr 11, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

There's a place where I can get my Garand re-parkerized for around $163. It would be zinc parkerizing which is correct for my '43 Springfield.

My rifle is a mixmaster, Winchester trigger group, Buffalo Arms barrel, etc. The finish is fairly worn. I cleaned up the stock and Tru-oiled it to a nice low luster that shows the grain, but is not shiny and looks good. Now, I'm thinking of refinishing the metal.

It's obviously not a collectors rifle, but it's an excellent and accurate shooter and I hold great affection for it. Since I've winnowed my collection down, it's definitely a keeper. It's also my SHTF rifle if it ever comes down to that.

So, re-parking it isn't terribly expensive and the turn around is short. My question is, would you reparkerize it, or leave it alone?

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I wouldn't think twice. I'd re-parkerize it in a heartbeat especially if it needs it.

3. CA357

Thanks mrm, I'm definitely leaning towards having it done.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey Don, see how much your buddy would charge you for Cerakote.

That would be a great looking finish and you said it wasn't a collectors piece.

5. CA357

Yer' killin' me 'Cane. That would be very cool, but I think I'll go with zinc parkerizing if I have it done.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

If it was ME, I'd repark it. You already have the wood done, why not the metal?

7. CA357

Hmm, good point Bear.