Repairs for my Czech 98K Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Phelenwolf, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I purchased a Czech 98K Mauser a couple of months ago and have finally had time to tear it down and clean it before I go to the range.

After disassembly I notice the barrel is pitted on the outside and when cleaning the barrel it looks pitted inside and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get a new barrel and have it installed.

2. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

is it a original or a remake?

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My suggestion is to take it to the range and shoot it before considering a re-barrel. Some of the old battle rifles are surprisingly accurate even with barrels that look like damaged sewer pipes. This may be one of them.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I agree. Many of my old milsurps shoot great with barrels that should have been trashed years ago.

What kind of shape is it in otherwise?

5. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Honeslty if it still shoot striaght and works I would leave it alone like the guys above me said. But if you really want something new I would talk to a local competent gun smith and see if he can make you a new barrel.

6. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I am not sure if it is an original or remake.

The side of the reciever looks like an old sewer pipe, but not as bad as the barrel. I have had a lot of old military rifles, Enfields, Moisn Nagants, 03's, but this is my first Mauser and I was hopping I did not get screwed. The gun shop owner here is a hit and miss type of guy. SOMETIMES he will work with you but not to often, even his regular's have second thought's at time.

I should have taken pictures of the barrel and reciever but did not think about it till it was in my safe. When I get back I will take pictures of it and post them.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

1st off, there is no remake!! Clean the barrel and shoot her. It may really suprise you. Now if you do need a new/used barrel, http://www.sarcoinc.com/mauser.html#4

8. hcso617

hcso617 New Member

Use some old #9 and a bore snake, you should be just fine.

9. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I finally had time to tear down my Czech Mauser and found that the bottom of the barrel was pitted in some areas and it is worse in other areas. I have never come across a rifle like this in this kind of condition, any suggestions or comments? If I get time I will dig it out of my safe and post some pictures.

10. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I agree with CA357, just shoot it.

Is it in 8mm or 7.62 NATO?? Alot of the Czech 98k's are Israeli guns.

You should post some pics so we can drool.

11. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Here is the only picture that I have of my Czech Mauser.
    [​IMG]

Left to right:

Enfield No4 MkI .303 Brit
    SMLE 7.62mm Enfield, 2A1 .308
    Springfield 1917 Enfield, .30-06
    Springfield M-1 Garand, .30-06
    91/30 Mosin Nagant, 7.62x54r
    Czech 98k Mauser, 8mm

Missing Universal M-1 Carbine

Love those old rifles. Semi's like the AR are great but they do not have the feel like the old bolt actions.

12. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Nice collection, I cant tell anything by the photo but I posted a tread in curio in relics about my israeli k98's one of which is a czech, you might look at it and see if any of the markings are similar

13. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Thanks, I had to rearrange my closet to make room for another safe and had everything out so I took a quick picture of these. I will try and post some more pictures in a couple of days.

I will look in to you post and check out your pictures. I did find a Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine that is in good condition but the local gun shop wants almost $700 for it.

14. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Pass on the Enfield....way too much $$, double what its worth

15. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

That is what I told him. But he is the type of person that does not like to deal with anyone even his regulars. He had Mosin Nagant 91/30's for $250. One was missing the bolt and he wanted $200. Go figure, but he is the only gun shop for 100 miles.

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Here are some pictures of my Mauser. Sorry if some of them are not in focus but my camera on my phone is not great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

These were on the barrel, not sure what they are. I tried to get a better picture but this was the best one.

[​IMG]

18. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

700.ooDouble for a no5??????? .you looked up the price of no5s recently , cheapest i could find is 895 in fair shape , not many left that were not battered in burma and other jungles in pacific. you find a nice one good investment they never last long on auctions.But firing them is like trying to tame a rhino:eek: brutal recoil.I have one myself.And horrendous flame bursts out front .Have fired a few ,my m44 can not compare in recoil and muzzle blast to the no5.And it can be brutal as well .

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

This thread is 2.5 years old. Last post was 1.5 years!!!!

20. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

OOP,S :eek: guess i need to start reading the dates ya think lol.:D