Repair job gone bad!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bmynrd731, Oct 31, 2011.

1. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

Has anyone ever wanted to just smack someone in the back of the head, becuase they used superglue to reglue the blade of sight to the front of a H&R to the barrel, and why do they always spray paint the wood black???:mad:
    I know that some of the H&R's came in black that were made with the blug barrels but why is it always srpay paint. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I know how you feel. I had to strip the stock on a Marlin 25m after a little Hoppes got on it. Someone did a really good job but spray paint just does not hold up. Finished it with Tung Oil and floated the barrel while I was at it. I need to get it to the range.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

More pics of this project please!!

4. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

Sorry its been a few weeks since i have been in. Being a truckdriver sometimes its hard to get home to the camera to post things. I will post some of the work i have done on my new shotgun. (well new to me) I have stripped the barrel and have sanded all the crappy paint off the forend. am going to have to use paint strippers to get the stuff off the stock. wiil post them tonight i hope. Thanks Brian

5. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

New pix

New pic i took today..:D

Attached Files:

6. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

what i did to gun

I stripped the paint of the wood stock. then i used a 120 sand paper then went to 220, 320 and finally went to a 400 to finish. The barrel is going to be duracoated for a black finish. and the wood is going to have a light mahogany coat with linseed oil added until i get the light red finish. I have done this on small tables so lets see how it looks on a gun.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

looks like a good start so far. i like wood with a red tint to it myself also. post more pictures!

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

that right there is a good clean slate, me personally I like three tone tiger stripe camo, use to paint all my airsoft guns that way... just haven't gotten around to doing it with a real gun.

good luck man hope it comes out the way you want it to.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Looks like you're taking care of it. Thanks for pics.

10. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Black painted H&R like that from factory

back in late 1990's I found the local varity store had a sale going on I bought a new Chinese SKS and a H&R 12ga single shot shotgun, both were display models and had scratched stocks, I bought the shotgun for $69 and the SKS $110 scratched varnish never botherd me any, I sanded off the ugly yella varnish on the SKS and Toung Oil'd it, The H&R I touched up the scratched stock paint with a Q-tip and some aerosol Krylon paint spritzed in the cap and dabbed on the stock

11. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

I had thought about using the new stuff that you can spray on the gunstock and then place it in a large pan of water and it wraps the gunstock in camo, but i wanted the natural look. I will paint the barrel with duarcoat, or i might just hotblue the thing still not sure.

12. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

New pics

I actually changed my mind when i started to finish the gun. I put a little of teh stain on a small part of the forearm and it turned out dull and really not what i wanted so i sanded it again and turned to a nice walnut colored stain. It actually came out really good. For me atleast i like the way ot came out. Then i used Birchwood casey blue and it came out really nice. looks good for a cold blue i haven't used it before so it was different and came out really nice. Maynard :)

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      95.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      94.5 KB
      Views:
  13. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

barrel and the last pic on the one before

After i finished the clean up and stain i went back with gunoil and a ooo steel wool and 0000 steel wool to remove the surface rust on the receiver.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      95.1 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      90.4 KB
      Views:
  14. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

finished shotgun pics

Hello everyone that has read my posting ok i am finished with the gun give me some feed back let me know what you think god or bad. It helps me to make changes to what i do THANKS. Brian:)

Attached Files:

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

not bad! turned out nice. glad you decided on the stain rather than the black paint. looks almost factory now. you did good!:D

16. unclebear

unclebear New Member

it looks real nice man good work, I like the stainless with the bluing it looks cool.