Rental apartment gun storage

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by waxman895, May 5, 2013.

1. waxman895

waxman895 New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for inconspicuous gun storage for a rental apartment ?
    The new place I'm moving to has a no-firearm policy, but the lovely girl at the office winked at me and told me she keeps hers in a nightstand and told me don't ask don't tell.... The problem is my ar mossberg 500 and .303 don't fit in a nightstand... I keep my doors locked but I'd like to have them and my ammo out of sight

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

what country are you in,they can not tell you you cant have a gun.

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

What Rifleman1 said...

If your in the US... Request that policy in writing.

Do it after you move in and show it to an attorney.

I'm pretty sure being evicted for gun possession would give you a doozy of a lawsuit.

I personally despise anyone who looks for a reason to sue people but landlords seeking to violate civil liberties are a "special" kind of azz hole! ;)

Tack

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I agree with Tack! I would take them anyway. There are all kinds of good ways to conceal them. If they can't see them they have no right to pilfer around your place without your permission! For example an apartment, if they want to change a furnace filter or make repairs. Best, don't let them in without you being present! Simple as that! And if you needed to give them permission not being present. And if your items are concealed and out of sight in an area they should not be pilfering in and locate them? Well in that case if it caused any problem at all, the serious problem would be theirs.!!!!!!
    If you wanted to shoot them take them out in a inconspicuous box or container. Like a box blinds or a sweeper comes in. So if you passed another resident they would not be aware of the contents.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Do you have any kind of a storage or hall closet?

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Go get a couple of the GOOD wooden suit hangers. Drill and add a wire hook the will allow the rifle to hang from a sling swivel. Get a zippered suit bag. Put hanger in bag. Hang rifle. Zip bag. Put sports coat over the bag. Hang it in between shirts, suits, etc.

They make one like this for handguns, have not seen a store bought one for rifles.

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

THAT^^^ right there is a cool idea!

If I am not mistaken, a landlord has the right to go into your apartment without you being there in certain cases. Fire. Water issues, ect.

Why not just get a locking cabinet, and put it in the closet?

8. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I'd buy a gun locker from Stack On for $100. That will keep them concealed. Personally, I would hope the landlord is that stupid to try and deny my civil liberties. He'd be giving me free rent for a while.

9. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

My apartment has a no gun policy also. I just laugh at it because in my opinion it violates the United States Constitution, Oklahoma Constitution, and the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

Most of the time that is in a lease simply as a liability with their insurance. If push comes to shove, any good judge should side with you. It shouldn't get to that point though.

I ordered some ammo at one point and it came in a small heavy box to the front office with a "small arms cartridge" sticker on it. The guy asked my, "what did you get? A lead acid battery?" I should have just said, yeah sure, but instead I said "Nope. ordered some ammo." The guy was just like "oh I didn't hear that". Haha. My apartment has 4 individually leased rooms with deadbolts on each door. I changed my deadbolt without the apartment knowing so they cant get in. If they have to do maintenance I leave the door open, hide the guns, and usually leave a camcorder rolling on my desk under some papers. I'm not paranoid, just cautious.

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Certainly doesn't leave one much choice. Do you love yourself? Then your firearms are your best bet if life is threatened by home invaders. 911 or your landlord's number will NOT do the trick.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I think the suit bag thing in the closet is the best Idea!!

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I bought one of these a while back (link). If it wasn't for the locks on it you would have no idea it was anything other than furniture. I have it turned to where the locks face the couch. So most people never even see the locks. Even sitting there you really don't pay attention to them. I have an end table that matches it that has three drawers.

I've never heard of a rental property that tried to negate the 2A. I think I'd wan to have a legal man challenge that.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  13. JW357

JW357 New Member

As far as I know, in most states if the landlord or company owns the property, I would think they can deny guns from being in their units. I don't like it, but I would think its the same idea as a store/business owner posting a sign that reads "No firearms."

My recommendation other than the closet hanger thing, which is brilliant, is an under the bed safe.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I.m not sure they can deny you guns in you unit. While they may own it, it is your domicile, and therefore, you have certain rights to have whatever you want, as long as it's legal. I think there are legal terms and laws for it, but I don't know what they are.

Drumjunkie, I followed your link to the table. And I clicked on the April 2013 link to the left. I will have to say, I'm more interested in the ladies' panties with the secret compartment. If my wife had those, I'd be constantly bumming a few bucks, even if I didn't need it.:D

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The owners of the apartment have the right to put any exclusions that they wish in the lease. If you don't like it, you don't have to move there. I suspect that breaking that rule could get you evicted, just like moving a dog into a "no pet" place. The "rights" issue is a strange thing, other folks want their rights too.

That said, I would move in a gun safe for my stuff. It is no one's business what is in your safe.

16. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

Insanity. I'd tell the landlord exactly what i thought. A landlord cannot enter your residence without 24 or 48 hours notice (i cant remember exactly) unless it is a dire emergency. If they had to get in and then found your guns in your closet or underwear drawer, there could potentially be a serious lawsuit( considering they are legal otherwise and its not a 1919 you are hiding) I fought this battle twice in my time, and refused to rent ever again. As a renter you have a ton of rights. Become informed on those and make sure your landlord is aware that you are not a dumb pushover

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

[QUOTE="Papa_Woody" A landlord cannot enter your residence without 24 or 48 hours notice[/QUOTE]

I believe this is one of those things which is dependent on the state you live in. Possibly even the locality. Heck, it might even come down to the specific terms of your lease.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Legally in the states the most that the landlord could would be start an eviction proccess which can take up to 90 days sometimes less sometimes more depending on the state.

Having a gun in your domicile under lease isnt breaking a law just a rental agreement. Under eviction in wisconsin the landlord can keep your deposit.

Your state law may vary. Some states its excessively difficult to evict anyone for any reason.

If you choose to go the safe route check the load capacity of your flooring. Some safes can be dangerously heavy.

19. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

All of this..
    Just think of it this way, if YOU were the land lord and YOUR rental agreement said 'no pets' or whatever you want to add, regardless of legality, you would expect renters to be truthful and abide by the rules of the agreement.
    This is not a 'rights' issue. No one said you can't own or buy guns, it's simply saying you can't have them on THEIR property NOT YOURS. Understand? Do yourself and others a solid and find somewhere else to live.
    No laws are being broken, so save your lawyer money for a better place to live.

I don't mean to be harsh but this IS a straight forward issue.

20. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I don't know what you decor is, but I always liked furniture that can hide guns.

Attached Files: