Rendering Aid to a Victim -- A Twist on the Theme

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Joshua M. Smith, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith New Member

Hello,

While I do not intend to make this a religious thread at all, religion is what got me started thinking about this particular tangent on coming to the aid of a person being attacked.

Yesterday I was in my favorite restaurant getting a tall Concrete Mixer (like a Blizzard but with egg yolks and a lot less healthy -- they call it "frozen custard :tup: )

I have a usual seat, which probably speaks volumes about my eating habits :eek:hno: However, this time my seat was occupied by a Quaker couple. We have several of this religion around here, and they are some of the best folks I've ever met.

However, they do not believe in violence at all. I'm not sure of their exact beliefs, but I do not think they're even allowed by their religion to defend themselves -- though I may be wrong.

Likewise, I have some Amish friends. Granted, I've not seen them forever, but they did save my life during a blizzard when I was only a few months old and my parents had a country house. As I understand it, we had no power and no heat. We were snowed in. When the snows stopped falling, they came and got us in a horse-drawn sleigh to ride out the remainder at their place. They are good people.

I came to the conclusion a long time back that if a person is physically and mentally capable of resisting an attack, I would not interfere. I would call the police and be a good witness until they arrived.

If a person were in a wheelchair, say, or seemed a bit mentally impaired, I would intervene.

However, I never did consider moral and religious attitudes.

If a person simply will not resist due to character or lack thereof, I will consider him physically and mentally capable of resisting the attack, but unwilling to do so. I will not mix up in it further than the aforementioned calling of the police and being a witness.

However, if a person is raised in a religion that teaches pacifism, or even an extreme that would endanger that person to his religion (much like joining a secret society of any sort would earn a Roman Catholic excommunication), then I'm thinking that I would intervene.

In trying to justify this action to myself, I am chalking it up to being mentally unprepared to resist, much like, but not on the same level as, a mentally challenged person.

What would you do? If a person were were religiously prevented from self-defense, would you come to his aid, or would you view him as making a rational choice in not defending himself?

Thank you,

Josh

2. Comeswithbacon

Comeswithbacon New Member

Well yes, if it were absolutely needed i would

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just as it is their religion to not fight back it is mine to not allow anyone to be maimed killed robbed or murdered if i have the oppurtunity to render aid.

If they are offended i didnt let em die at least they will be alive to be angry.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You are not bound by their religious tenents. You make your decision based on YOUR beliefs and let the chips fall where they may. If they verbalize to you that they do not want your help, then let them be. Until then, I'm gonna do my best to help.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If everyone had the same beliefs, then maybe we would not have so much violence.

I would not interfere, unless my life or the life of others are threatened. Words alone will not inflict harm. Physical assault is another story.

Cool heads have to prevail.

(Good post by the way)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  6. opaww

opaww New Member

It is something to think about, but on the same note if it were a 4 year old getting pushed around and smacked by 4 older teens would you step in to stop it? They can not fight back and I view it as need to step in in most cases to protect them that can not defend themselfs. But the ones capable of doing so and not doing it that is the real question that one needs to think about.

7. JohnJak

JohnJak Member

I am not a cop.

If the need did arise given the situation, I would have to come to the aid of a human being.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I can't stand by and do nothing. I won't watch someone become a victim, I just can't.

9. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

It may be their religion to not defend THEMSELVES...but what's to say it prevents kind hearted strangers from intervening....

I don't think I could sit by and watch another human being die if it could be prevented.

10. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Well, not helping goes against my beliefs.

So........

11. orangello

orangello New Member

First off, i do not currently have a permit to carry concealed outside of my car or home where i usually carry.

My beliefs are limited. If i have to watch somebody dressed like a pilgrim get their *** kicked or get shot, i will probably feel bad about it later. That is enough justification for me to step in with whatever i happen to have handy. After all, what are they (the Quaker) going to do, kick my butt?

12. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I have asked a similar question to several preachers, Bible study leaders/teachers and regular church members like me: Based on the parable of the 'Good Sumaritan" what do you think Jesus would've done (or told his disciples to do) if the priest, Levite and Sumaritan had come upon the robbery/assault while it was being committed?

Many have answered that if it was in their power and ability (including the means) to stop the robbers from continuing to beat the victim without becoming victims themselves that they should certainly have stopped them, that doing otherwise wouldn't be showing any brotherly love for the victim. Some say that they believe the one seeing it happen should go to the closest military post and tell the soldiers (calling for the police today) and some said they don't know.

I could not and would not stand idly by and allow another person to be robbed/raped or assaulted by one or more violent criminals. Whether the individual being victimized was a sheep due to their religious beliefs or not would not matter to me.

It's kind of funny how most sheep are scared of sheepdogs when they aren't being attacked (because they have teeth like the wolves), but are happy to see them when the wolves are after them.

13. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

To me, it's sad. If we had more Sheepdogs, the wolves wouldn't be so quick to come out and prey.

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Command Briefs: Bible Affirms Our Right to Self-Defense

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"In Proverbs 25:26, we read: "A righteous man who falters before the wicked is like a murky spring and a polluted well." Certainly, we would be faltering before the wicked if we chose to be unarmed and unable to resist an assailant who might be threatening our life. In other words, we have no right to hand over our life, which is a gift from God, to the unrighteous. It is a serious mistake to equate a civilized society with one in which the decent people are doormats for the evil to trample on."
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"God expects us to defend ourselves, otherwise why would He speak to us through the psalm, "Blessed be the Lord my strength, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle" (Ps. 144:1)"

One does not need to stand for or behind something to stand up for themselves or others, unless one is physically incapable.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  15. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Definitely! If they do not have the desire or the moral commitment to defend their own life or are physically unable to do so; I would intervene.

I have no problem being the sheepdog!!