removing the warnings....

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by BRSmith, Jun 1, 2007.

1. BRSmith

BRSmith New Member

:confused: I was wondering if it would hurt the barrel any if I had the engravings removed from the barrel of my New Blackhawk?

2. Splatter

Splatter New Member

You'll probably want to fill the stampings rather than machine them away.
    A good epoxy (JB Weld, or Devcon 10110) then refinish the whole gun with ArmaKote or something similar.

3. JoeLee

JoeLee New Member

You'll devalue it that's for sure to a Bubba gun.

4. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Not if its done right. If you fill it with Bondo, and Krylon over it sure. If you properly weld in and grind the offensive roll marks, then have it refinished properly I doubt it will harm the value to any buyer with the exception of serious collectors.

5. JoeLee

JoeLee New Member

OK.4!I just learned something?

6. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Removing the Warnings!

BRSmith/ALL

I'm gonna try and rewspond to this post with out turing it into a piece of why I hate Ruger, But here goes! This is one of the many reasons I will not buy a new Ruger firearm! That, apart from a company that will not sell you critical parts you might need in the Future, one that has been first to NOT SELL YOU HI CAP MAGAZINES long before any ban and a company who's CEO said to a Group of Police and Military that "If he had his way, he'd sell to the GOV and Law Enforcement only"! That tore it for me and I refuse to buy any Ruger once I heard Bill Ruger state that comment! As for the markins, Yea, you could grind them off, cover them up, OR YOU COULD ASK RUGER WHY THEY DID SUCH STUPID THINGS IN THE FIRST PLACE? Tel them that you'd start buying Ruger only after they stopped defacing your Pistol or revolver or rifle? Just a thought, Not meant to pick on any one But Ruger, it just tweaks my jaw!

7. westernamerican

westernamerican New Member

Sounds like enough to tweak a jaw!

8. brengraver

brengraver New Member

I'll bet Ruger was bitten in the back side by some lawyer because some stupid SOB didn't know how to use a revilver safely, and hurt himself or someone else. Those warnings, like heavy triggers, are put there by Other lawyers! I leave them there and frame them with engraving.

9. roadglider

roadglider New Member

"If he had his way, he'd sell to the GOV and Law Enforcement only"

WoW - I had no idea that jacka$$ said that and I just bought a new Super BlackHawk in .44 -

I feel violated !!!

Not buying specific weapons/firearms because of what the owner/CEO say's when he had to many glasses of wine is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS like your post...:rolleyes:

10. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

markings

have never tried but you might be able to roll the marks out.get a round bar about 1/2 " and several inchs long and pressure roll the area.might roll the metal in again.:confused: :( :p :)

11. Ruger Redhawk

Ruger Redhawk New Member

Another thought. If for some reason you need to send the gun back to Ruger for repair.They might not work on it unless they put a new barrel on it, if the
    "warning" has been removed.I've heard if you send one in that's had trigger job they will change it back to original specs.

Ruger supposedly was told or agreed to the "warning" from a court order from a lawsuit.You hear so much you don't know what to believe.
    Bottom line thank all the hungry lawyers out there.

12. dclevinger

dclevinger New Member

Redhawk, you're right about the trigger work. I had just finished an action job on a Vaquero and while test firing it, discovered a flaw in one of the chambers. It was bad enough that the fired brass had to be driven out with a punch. It went back to Ruger to have a new cyl. fitted and came back with a new hammer and trigger as well. I had to re-do everything.

The best way to get rid of the stampings is to have the barrel draw filed, re-polished and re-blued.

David

13. Ruger Redhawk

Ruger Redhawk New Member

I guess that's Ruger's way to C.Y.A.

Even though we don't agree with it,they're going to do it unfortunately.
    My thoughts are once that gun is sold to a individual, Ruger(or any other Mfg) shouldn't be allowed to touch or change anything other then it what it was sent back to them for.Allot of people spend hard earned money into getting their guns the way they like them. One trip back to the factory and all that work is ruined.
    About the only way around it is take it to a smith,then again some parts are factory fit or exchange only.No win situation at best.

14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Why didn't you simply hone/polish cylinder? The flaw you experienced is actually very rare-so rare I'd never heard of it. While I agree the warnings do detract from looks, I usually don't worry about them. The warnings are easily covered up/filled in. I wasn't aware of that Bill Ruger quote and I'd like to know where to see it-even if Bill Ruger is long since dead.

15. dclevinger

dclevinger New Member

The flaw was actually a depression in the cyl. wall. Honing enough to get rid of it would have made the chamber oversize to the point of splitting cases.

You're right about it being rare. I've worked on more Rugers than I can count and it's the only one I've seen. I have no problems with their guns at all, it was just a freak occurrence.

I've also never heard those quotes before. No clue on the validity.

David

16. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

I once saw a warning on a barrel of an AR-15.

"Warning May Cause Cancer in California."