Removing old lube from RCBS bullet resizer ?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Desmond, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Desmond

Desmond New Member

A couple of years ago I inadvertently stored my RCBS LubeAMatic bullet resizer with lube still in the chamber.

What is the best way to remove this old lube from the chamber and the lube channels so I can refill with fresh lube ?

Thanks for your assist,

Desmond

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What kind of lube is it? Most lubes will remain stable for years and not cause a problem. I leave lube in my Lyman and simply use it the next time. I don't know how you would get the old lube out anyway. Perhaps a heat gun and warm things up a bit.

3. Desmond

Desmond New Member

It may have been Lyman I was using. Digging some out with a screwdriver it is still soft so I will give it a try as is, I just didn't want to take a chance of blowing out an O ring or something.

Thanks.

Des

4. 1hole

1hole New Member

Unless you are changing to a different lube I see no reason for cleaning it out. Bullet lube doesn't die from old age and the machines aren't made to allow removing it readily.

The only time I ever "cleaned" my Lyman 450 was to switch from the original Lyman black lube to the NRA formula Alox. I simply removed all the parts and put it into a bucket of water. Heated the water over a Coleman stove until it was boiling and the lube melted out, floated to the top. Inside it was a clean as if new. That was in '71 and it's never been cleaned (internally) or had the lube replaced since.

5. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

lyman luber

take the luber and turn it upsid down heat with a hair dryer,it will all flow out.
    I have lube in mine and have stored a case of sticks and blocks for 20 yrs. and its still good.its just grease and wax.