removing light rust

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by old fart, Apr 22, 2014.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

on my service six i have light specks of rust on the gun, i can't afford a hot blue and i don't do cold blue well and wouldn't want to cold blue as it don't last for me. the blueing is good on the gun, just the specks of rust are on it but they are stuborn. they aren't all over it in patches just tiny pin head size specks on the frame and cylinder here and there. i have fritz metal polish and wonder about it. now i have one more question, if i keep it cleaned and oiled will it get worse? it will be my woods gun so as long as it wouldn't get worse i'm fine with it. but if it would i want to stop it if i can. thanks for any help

2. therukh

therukh New Member

There are several here who have good ideas and methods on cleaning up the type of rust you're talking about. I used to take by lightly rusted guns and/or parts to our lgs and there was a guy there who could do magic on it. He used 4 ought steel wool and a good gun oil (on the parts and on the wool) and very lightly rubbed the rust till it was gone. I watched him do it on several occasions and was as amazed each time as I was the first.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am a bit fan of using Kano Kroil with a course cloth or very, very fine steel wool for removing rust from guns. i would use the course cloth before using the steel wool though. IMO, i don't think the Flitz would be good to use on a blued gun.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bluing is controlled rusting (black iron oxide instead of red). If it will take off rust, it CAN take off bluing.

Key words- easy does it.

Flitz is an abrasive- albeit a mild one. You can remove bluing.

There are dozens of ways- I would start with light oil (Kroil if you have it, any light oil if you don't) clean coarse cloth, wet gun, wet cloth, rub til arm falls off, switching to clean spots on the cloth.

Stubborn rust- grocery store, housewares. A COPPER Chore-boy pot scrubber. Not the cheap copper plated steel, you tightwad! :p

Again, wet gun, wet pad, rub lightly. Gun will turn coppery. That's OK- your next step is coarse cloth, oil, coppery color comes off.

Wipe it down with a light coat of oil- how often depends on where you are. Arizona, semi annual, New Orleans, daily.

You CAN use Bronze wool, or 0000 steel wool with oil, but that can be aggressive to some finishes.

Flitz

5. old fart

old fart New Member

ok, i have used 0000 wool and rem oil is what i had, with a little flitz too. there still looks like frecks on the gun but when i run my finger over them its smooth. to explain the best i can is, if i took the cylinder or top strap in my hand now and closed my eyes i can't feel the rust or where it is or was, with a light i can see the small frecks there but they are smooth. do i need to do more? also i have been told a pencil eraser will work, will it? have i got it done or do i continue?with it smooth now i really don't know. it wasn't bad to begin with as it was barely felt but i call it freckling. thanks

6. Axxe55

more that likely if you can't feel it anymore with your fingers, then you have probably got it about as good as it's going to get unless you do a complete stripping and polishing, and then reblueing.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Pencil erasers have an abrasive in the rubber. It WILL take bluing off your gun. We used to use them to clean electrical contacts.

I'd let it be.

8. Axxe55

we used pencil erasers to clean the contacts on slot car tracks. courtesy of our father who was an electrician.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I've used small pieces of nylon wool and a brass tip, just enough to prep for the Bluing Pen.

Anything that removes rust can and will remove a microscopic amount of bluing around the defect. But chances are it will happen anyway as rust expands. Not getting into a theological dispute, I just hate the sight of it and prefer a minuscule reblued spot to a speck of rust.

Touch-up bluing is controlled oxidation, basically black rust. It is a commitment, because the gun needs to be inspected periodically, and cold bluing reapplied as necessary (how often, depends on the finish and on the climate conditions, between several months and infinity.) But you would just as well check on the rust spots, if you care about your gun's looks.

My Browning A5 needs a lot less attention since I filled the safe with silica containers.

10. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

cold bluing has nothing to do with oxidation. It's electroless plating of copper sulphate, usually.
    REAL bluing is oxidation.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I called it cold casually. In the context, it is DIY re-bluing with a bluing pen.

12. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Bluing pens don't cause oxidation, either.

13. old fart

old fart New Member

i have had several messages wanting to see exactly what i mean by freckling, i couldn't get a good enough pic on my own gun but found a pic online that is just about exactly like mine. except for the trigger and hammer, in the pic this gun has a rusty trigger and hammer mine is nice and clean and shiny. but on the cylinder and frame are what mine looks like, just spots here and there, now after cleaning, the spots are smooth and can't be felt. here is the pic, thanks
    [​IMG]

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It looks really minor except just in front of the trigger. I would clean and buff the exterior, then "maybe" prep the spots close to the R for the bluing pen.

Looks like the trigger linkage needs cleaning, and judging by it probably the whole interior. I'd strip the revolver for a thorough cleaning and oiling, and (probably) would replace the mainspring whose age is unknown. Not only will your Ruger get better for it, it will also become more valuable.

15. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

:rolleyes: SHEESH!
    A bluing pen will do nothing for you, except ruin the factory blue that is left.
    Replacing the mainspring is absurd. It's not necessary unless the spring is badly rusted.
    Oil the gun and leave it alone. Anything else you do will do more damage than good.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I hate to say it because these look like something you would use in the kitchen but unless you get crazy with it it wont remove the bluing . I put a drop of oil on in the area and lightly get after it with a piece of this . Its works .
    http://frontiermetalcleaner.com/

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you just handle the gun and shoot it the rust will wear off. In the long haul the gun will look better and you will have fun shooting the gun.

18. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I have found that an old tired spring may not provide reliable ignition. Replacing is cheap and easy, the risk is nil. Only the very young and the very old can find anything here to argue about.

19. old fart

old fart New Member

this is not a pic of my gun, my gun has the spots on its cylinder an frame like this one has on its cylinder. my guns trigger and hammer are in like new shape with no marks. also i've already fired 50rds of federal 158 grain soft points 357 magnum it fired all perfectly and hit the primers hard. in the past i bought new blued guns and kept them clean, this is the first used blued revolver i've bought and wondered the best way to stop the small spots from getting worse. but at $150 i couldn't pass on this one even with the tiny frecks. thanks

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Then it all depends on your tolerance for rust. I am rustofobic, can't stand the presence of it. I clean every gun after every practice. Others may be more pragmatic.