Removing history from national cemeteries

Discussion in 'History' started by boatme98, May 25, 2020.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Deleted by alsaqr.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

upload_2020-5-27_10-46-15.jpeg

1700 years old religious artifacts destroyed
    by zealots
    and yet we have absolutely compunction letting our elected overseers do this to our historical artifacts...just cuz...

upload_2020-5-27_10-51-39.jpeg

24 may 2020 daily progress:
    Charlottesville officials are preparing to begin discussions about removing the two Confederate statues that were at the heart of the deadly 2017 Unite the Right rally.
    https://www.dailyprogress.com/news/...cle_276b19e7-c12b-56bb-8a18-a21f22c595ad.html

G66enigma, alsaqr and ellis36 like this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Asking out of ignorance (curable), what are the histories of WWI and WWII taught in German schools/universities ? We've seen the "politically correct" versions being taught in the U.S.A. change over the years including sanitizing/banning Sam Clemon's fictional but accurate works depicting 19th century America. History (good things/bad things - all of it) is the basis of our world and that of those following us. Again, just curious.

alsaqr and Ghost1958 like this.
  4. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Sheriff, as a rule, the whole Nazi thing is verboten in Germany. At least in the 1980s when I was there. There were exceptions: I visited a German cemetery in the Hürtgen forest where there were swastikas on some of the headstones, as well as a monument for the German fallen in that battle. But it was not a thing that was offensive to any as those were a monument to the fallen who died patriots - however misled. I honoered those fallen as I would any.

We forgave them and honored their loss - as we would any fallen soldier - under the flag they represented and died for. Dyed-in-the-wool Nazis who executed innocent civilians and prisoners...not so much and I wished I had drunk some extra coffee to "properly honor" those graves!

I'm neither a "Northerner" nor a "Southerner" in our nation - born overseas to American citizens serving their country, and growing up in an Army family in both the South and the North. But I am retired Army and recognize, as a semi historian, that there was heroism and patriotism on both sides in the Civil War - just like there was in all wars. I live less than ½ mile from Stonewall Jackson's magnificient "left flank" movement during the battle for Chancellorsville. He was a skilled tactician and as a military guy, admired his acumen. Same with Robert E. Lee: not only a fine General who gave up his fortune and family honor (much like our founding fathers) to serve his Virginia (one of the United STATES), but an honorable man who took care of his troops and his prisoners as well as he could. He just chose the losing side and recognized that too late.

To erase recognition of the heroism and patriotism of all soldiers who led and gave the ultimate sacrifice is an abomination, regardless of which side "won". Are we going to erase all recognition of Cochese and Geronimo???

This insanity needs to end!

G66enigma, primer1, Ghost1958 and 3 others like this.
  5. sheriffjohn

Thanks ! Aside from individual grave stones, there is only one Civil War monument nearby on the courthouse lawn in Palmyra, Missouri. It commemorates an atrocity committed by occupying Union forces who hanged a dozen Confederate soldiers in retaliation for the disappearance of a Union snitch. Since several of those hanged still have families living here, not much chance of removal/alteration. There are bad people on both sides of every conflict, best not let future generations forget.

RJF22553 likes this.
  6. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Revisionist logic is the same kind of logic that made people stampede for toilet paper during a pandemic that has nothing to do with bowel movements.

alsaqr and Ghost1958 like this.
  7. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Think Hank William's jr had it right.

The snowflakes worry about symbolizing hate, which is a human emotion by the way, when our nation is seething with REAL hate

Some of it for good reason

alsaqr, towboater and sheriffjohn like this.
  8. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Sheriff, my Mother was born and (mostly) raised in Hannibal. Apolitical regarding the Civil War. Her Father died of TB contracted during WW-I, for which he served. He passed from it in NM (at a VA Center) when Mom was ten, and then his widow, my Mother, and her Brother returned to Hannibal. Grammy never re-married. Mom and her Brother both served in WW-II.

There were heroes and good-and-evil on all sides of the equation, in every war. To blanket all on one side (usually the losing side) as evil is as evil as any "supremacy" movement or racism.

Ghost1958, G66enigma and sheriffjohn like this.
  9. sheriffjohn

Then you know what Clemens was writing about, at least geographicly (sp) speaking. When history is "sanitized", truth gets washed away as well. Back in the day, historical research took time and effort, sometimes travel to learn about an individual or event. I doubt very many have ever used the Dewey Decimal System to find a book and darned few ever crack one open. Online searches are great for some things but miss a great deal as well. The Civil War in Missouri is a good example. Literally hundreds of battles, yet scant attention to what life was like for people who lived through bands of lawless murdering theives, neighbors and relatives forced to take sides, livestock stolen or killed by whatever army unit passed through, etc. Anyway ... not all truth is on the internet, some is still in "the stacks", newspaper morgues, and courthouse attics.

alsaqr, G66enigma, RJF22553 and 2 others like this.
  10. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Truth. Google is not the be-all/end-all it's made out to be.

ellis

11. sheriffjohn

During the Union occupation of Missouri's Capitol City, Jefferson City, a confederate bushwhacker was executed by firing squad after being paraded through town on the back of a wagon sitting on his coffin. Apparently this was to intimidate southern sympathizers.

That night, a number of "Home Guard" Union men were dragged from their homes onto the road and shot dead. Several bodies lay on the roads for days after families were told "they" would be back to burn them out if the bodies were moved. Public executions were not held for more than a decade due to the outcry from citizens. Reconstruction under Union Occupation was similarly distasteful to most everyone. The "War of Northern Aggression" left scars. Confederate gravestones around here often have pointed tops so no Northerner could sit on them (or so I was told). At any rate, once the history has been wiped, the terror that Civil War brings will never be known to future generations.

12. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Venezuelan Warns Americans: Statues Coming Down Is Where Revolutions Start.
    download.jpeg-1.jpg
    Venezuelans recognize signs of a communist takeover better than almost anyone.

https://www.facebook.com/100002463129347/posts/3080813635344044/?sfnsn=mo

What she said on facebook.

ELIZABETH ROGLIANI: Why do I even worry about some silly little statues coming down or some silly little street names changing? Why do I care?

It is because the last time I didn't care about this, I was a teenager. I have already lived through this thing when I was living in Venezuela. Statues came down -- Chavez didn't want that history displayed. And then he changed the street names. Then came the [school curricula]. Then some movies couldn't be shown, then certain TV channels, and so on and so forth.

You guys think this can't happen to you, I've heard it so many times. But always be on guard. Never believe something can't happen to you. You've got to defend your country and your society or it will be destroyed.

We didn't believe it could happen to us. Most Venezuelans --Cubans warned us-- and we were like, "This is Venezuela, we know about freedom. That's not going to happen here." Yet it happened. And there are literally a lot of people wanting to destroy the U.S.

13. Rex in OTZ

History is like scars.
    Scars like history tell a story of how things went.
    Getting plastic surgery to remove scars is denying it happened.
    20200626_104000.jpg 20200626_104004.jpg
    I call this Av-gas, Fire and Skin dont mix.
    Im damn lucky I still have fingers that function.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I see people calling out for payment to families of former slaves. How much are they planning on paying the families of the white soldiers that fought and died to set them free? Payment has been made in blood. Maybe it would be better to demand payment from the Democratic Party to the families of the victims of the KKK which Democrats founded and funded.

RJF22553, Ghost1958 and alsaqr like this.
  15. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

how about $14 trillion?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ro...ery-reparations-payments-to-african-americans

RJF22553 likes this.
  16. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

To deny history is to sabotage the future to the benefit of the despots and dictators.

17. JTJ

Venezuelans are warning the first stage of a Communist takeover is the destruction of the statues and history of the country. They have been through it.

RJF22553, G66enigma and Ghost1958 like this.
  18. Rex in OTZ

Winners of the Mega Millions and Powerball held onto their money how long?

Lets play this on out shall we?
    This 14 Trillion Dollars is coming from where?
    Who is footing the bill?
    Will I be paying what?, 70% taxes to pay these people off?
    If blacks thought they were hated before.
    Well guess what?
    They will No Doubt be hated after grifting off that load of BuLL $#!+. :confused:

Nobody will cut them any slack after soaking up a cash settlement.
    That 'Im entitled because Im Black' crap would come to a screeching halt.

I be darned if any of my grandkids are going to be paying off that bill for the next 120 years.

You know, blacks that wanted to ho back to africa didnt have any place thry could go.
    So somebody (not Negro) bought land for them to settle on.
    The Society for the Colonization of Free People of Color of America, commonly known as the American Colonization Society (ACS), was founded in 1816 by Robert Finley (not Negro), to encourage and support the voluntary migration of free African-Americans to the continent of Africa.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Colonization_Society

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  19. JTJ

I am white and I have ancestors that were slaves. Most of us have ancestors that were slaves. Yes whites were slaves in ancient times. Those servants the Bible talks about were slaves. I am 2nd generation American and I have never owned a slave or supported owning slaves and now I am supposed to pay for something I had no hand in or control over? This is a guilt trip some individuals are trying to lay on us and Rex is right. It will foster nothing but hatred. It is stealing from one person to give to another. The Democrats are responsible for all of this. Let them pay reparations.

RJF22553, ellis36 and Gatoragn like this.
  20. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Democrats never use their own money!

ellis