Removing glock front sight

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by bigrock44, Nov 9, 2013.

1. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

If you don't have a Glock front sight remover. How else can you remove the front sight without damaging your Glock.

2. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

I used a sharpened ice pick to pry the wedge from the center then squeeze the sight from the bottom and push it up. I was able to install that same sight on another Glock.

3. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You sure you talking the same gun?

The inside hex head screw can be unscrewed counter-clockwise with a pair of small bent needle-nose pliers. Apply the torque gradually. If you want to be extra careful, use a bent "mosquito" hemostat. Once the screw is out, the front sight can be lifted straight up. In a new Glock the screw is typically not very tight, so the job is fairly easy.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Original plastic Glock sights have a split oat that fits in the hole in the slide, and another plastic wedge that fits in to spread the two halves to hold the sight in place. Most aftermarket or night sights for Glocks will have the hex head screw.

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You mean the older ones? All Gen3 and Gen4 I own or remember seeing came with a hex head screw. The sight tool is a nutdriver!

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes the older ones.

7. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I found a front sight removal tool for $9.95 on Amazon that I may order.

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Makes sense. Research has shown that once you successfully replace a gun sight, you will do it again :D