Removal of the DPMS FF Tube

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by pagj17, May 19, 2010.

1. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

So... no matter where I look, I can't find out if the DPMS(aluminum)free float tube comes off clockwise or counter clockwise... anyone know?

2. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

I would assume that if it doesn't say otherwise, the threads are standard and it will come off counter clockwise.

Vince

3. moshpit

moshpit New Member

The fact that it screws on over a barrel nut would have me calling DPMS before I did anything to find out for sure.

4. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Yup, I actually emailed them, but they weren't responding either. the did finally send a reply a bit after I decided to try and sell it as a complete unit

5. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Yeah, email isn't going to work on tech support issues. Did you go to the Contact Us section of their site? They do have a phone number. (320) 345-9223 and they also have a Live Support Tech at DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. simply click the Live Help button on that page during regular company business hours, pretty sure they don't do 24/7 Live Help, you usually only find that in the tech industry, not the firearms industry. It's business hours or no hours in the firearms industry :p

Honestly, it doesn't sounds like you much cared to try that hard before giving up. If I had given up that easy when AR Barrels ripped me apart verbally for building a junker rifle, I wouldn't have learned anything. Instead, I decided he was a dick with good points and addressed those points and now I have teh badass, wicked EBR from hell, and am beaming proud of it. Can't give up so easily when dealing with firearms. Frustrations are common and come up too fast with any brand, it's the persistence to get past the hurdle that pays off in the end.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Have you looked on youtube or Brownells for a vid on installing a FF tube. Watch the direction it goes on and reverse to remove.

8. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Awww, do I have to? Quoting can be fun too!

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

My Blackberry posted that on its own. I had nothing to do with it, honestly...lol

10. moshpit

moshpit New Member

I figured as much, hence the silly response :D

11. Larry in SD

Larry in SD New Member

All of the free float tubes I have installed (on Bushmaster and DPMS AR's) have right hand threads, ie clockwise to tighten and counterclockwise to loosen.

Larry

12. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Well each time I went through their webpage during the day, "help" wasn't available. My internet search went pretty 'in depth' but it wasn't really helping either. Since I work graves it's hard to sit up during the day waiting to talk to a tech.
    At the same time I also found the barrel nut for my Oly Arms rail system(attached to one of my longish forgotten airsoft ARs) an decided that on my build I would use it instead of using the DPMS free float.
    as such I figured I'd rather start a mil-spec build from scratch with an upper that would match height with the rail, where as the DPMS will not.
    I just figured i'd sell the Bull barreled upper complete as it's currently configured since I doubt it'll see much use, not because I was giving up on it or anything

13. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Meh, nobody can tell you what to do or not, and I didn't mean to come off pushy, I apologize. You have a decent sounding plan and that's what matters in the end.

14. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Nah, no reason to be apologetic sir. You were trying to be helpfully, and I am appreciative beyond words.
    well, the way I eventually imagine my build will be nice, it's just the getting there(being a security "officer" doesn't pay too well lol.
    Thanks for the help sir.