Remmy 597

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Madderdaddy, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

Ive been looking at a remington 597 for a little bit now and would like to know pros and cons everybody has expierienced. It feels nice, looks nice and has a nice price. Ive heard alot of negatives and alot of positives. So tell me what you think

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I've had mine for a couple of years. It is very accurate and very reliable. I can rapid fire my 30rd mags without a hitch and get good groups at 50yards. I don't practice any further than that, but I suspect it would do fine further.

You can't go wrong with it imo. I believe it is much better out of the box than a 10/222, but you don't have as many modification options.

Get the VQ hammer and extractor for better performance. :cool:

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I have had one for a couple of years and I love it. I did nothing to it but put an affordable rimfire scope on it. Good out of the box shooter. Are there better competition shooters out there, yes. Does the 10/22 have tons of aftermarket stuff over the 597, yes. Is it a good, affordable Remmy for plinking and small game, Hellz yes.

My wife wants her own in the pink camo. She shall have one shortly. :D

4. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I've had a 597 for 7 or 8 years now. It is the rifle I shoot far more than anything else I own (probably more than anything because of the price of .22).
    I havent had any problems with it except that every once in a while I wear out a magazine. But that is the beauty of the 597, I can find magazines for them in every WalMart.
    I think everybody needs one, IMO. ;)

5. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

I know more of you have to have the 597. More input please

6. paperboy

paperboy New Member

I have shot the stainless/ wood stock one and it was very accurate and no reliability issues

7. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

thanks guys/gals. another question, Does the 597 chamber .22 Long rifle, Long, and shorts or just .22 long rifles

8. paperboy

paperboy New Member

It's 22 LR only

9. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

ok, I made my decision and bought a marlin model 60. Feels like a nice choice although i liked the sights on the 597 more. That doesnt matter though because i plan on scoping it

10. paperboy

paperboy New Member

Don't forget, if you want to use open sights that Tech Sights makes em' for the model 60

11. Blackwaterkatz

Blackwaterkatz New Member

I have two: a 22 lr, and one in 17 hmr, now converted to 22 magnum. Both of them shoot very well, except for a heavy trigger pull, which I have worked on. I've polished the hammers and helped both, but am getting ready to install a VQ hammer on the 22 and see how much difference it makes.
    The feel of the rifle is very comfortable and solid. MOA accuracy is the norm, with some ammo performing a little better than that. The 17 hmr would shoot 1/2 moa consistently right out of the box. Sorry those models had to be discontinued.
    Both of the rifles have been very reliable as far as function and accuracy. I've had two blowups in the 17 hmr versions, but won't have that issue again.

12. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I know you already made your purchase but I will tell you about mine.
    I have one I bought 2 or 3 years ago. The only time I have had a problem with it was when I shot Remington bullets through it. I don't think I need to go any farther on their reputation of rimfire ammo. JUNK!
    IMO it shoots great and never a problem with any other ammunition. I have mine sighted in for 50 yard with a tasco scope I picked up somewhere. Even with that scope I enjoy it and it does a very good job of hitting what I point it at.
    The only dislike is the trigger. It does not seem as nice as others I have shot.
    I would love some type of trigger work to make it a better feel. Other than that I like it.
    I also have a 10/22 like it the same!