Reminton Model 770 Scope included

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by tjacobson, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

"Please forgive the title" my finger hit send before I was done (on my iPhone) please see title as REMINGTON MODEL 770

Purchased a Model 770 with scope. 270 cal. The action sticks and is slow, the clip is very hard to put in. It does feel good at the shoulder but needs work. Has anyone experianced this as well and can we fix them (the action on the bolt)...?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

I purchased one for my son at Gander Mountain. I'm not to happy with the action. The gun feels good but the clip is hard to get in and the bolt action is very loose and catches. Has anyone had any experiance with this and can they be fixed.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

The 770 has always been,and will always be a turd.
    The only way to fix it,is to get rid of it. Sorry!

4. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

That sucks. I like the style of the stock and the feel of the gun but, I have to admit I had about 10 minutes to get him a rifle before they closed for opening morning ... I guess I'll take her to the gun show next weekend.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

If you haven't shot the gun,I'd take it back and see if you could trade it for something else.There are many other brands/models of rifles that will serve you well,but the 770 has always been plagued with problems and poor quality.

Just Google-Remington 770 Problems,and you'll see what I'm talking about.

6. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

The mag on my 700 is tough to get out as well. With mine you have to push it in a little before pressing the mag release. I've never had the pleasure of shooting at six deer at once, and i only have one mag anyway, so a minor inconvenience at worst. Good news is, it will shoot what I point it at and it's comfy in the shoulder.

7. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe I can fit another rifle in the stock? In Input on that one?

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

If all you are gonna do is hunt with it keep it. I have some friends with this rifle and have worked on a few. Not much to do about the sticky action, but it is an ok rifle for hunting out to 500 yards.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the 770 is a turd as hillbilly put it and IMO, that is being generous. i owned one a few years ago, bought it thinking it was a less expensive version of the M700, boy was i wrong! nothing at all like the 700 or anything in common. there are few firearms that i can say have ever displeased me as much as that one did. i even lost money on selling it, but was glad to be rid of it. there isn't much that can be done about it's defects, other than sell it or live with it. buy the Marlin X7 series, or the Savage Axis series, much better, way more accurate, and built much better and at about the same price or cheaper than the M770.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I can fix one and make it "right" but itll cost you s&h and about $200. If you like the way it fits then try a tikka t3. Same design just alot better made...also t3 is made by berretta. Marlins are the bomb as axxe said

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The best fix would be run it over with a dump truck beat it against the concrete an then go get a marlin x7 270 for what u paid for the 770 or should we call it the green brand turd.

12. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

yeah what they said as far as the 770 goes. all the rifles that they told you about are good replacements. just want to add one more to consider, the thompson venture is a well made firearm with good shot grouping out of the box and a decent action, the price on them is just right. most dont come with glass on them though.

13. Axxe55

another option, check out the pawn shops and gun stores for used rifles, i have seen some really decent buys on used rifles lately. just last month i bought a used remingtom M700 in 270 for $360 + tax. i refinished it and bought a decent scope for it, and i am still only into it for about $600 now. i saw a savage 110? i think it was, in 30-06 the other day in excellent shape, with a scope for $275 +tax. seemed like a decent deal to me.

14. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I have a Remington model 770, it's fine for what I use it for which is very little. I shoot about 20 rounds to sight it in and for play about once a year and shoot as lucky as I get when I hunt ( once or twice a year ). The rifle sucks compared to other rifles but it DOES work. It goes bang when I pull the trigger, it puts deer down, and it's accurate over 200yds for me. If I was an avid long distance shooter or hunted a lot, and I mean a lot, I would buy something better. It's hard for me to complain too much when I only hunt 3-5 times a year.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Personally id sell it and get a better gun. Or strip it down and sell all the parts except the bolt, reciever, and barrel to someone you know who has a tikka t3

16. Axxe55

this is pretty much what they are about, and if it serves your purpose and does what you expect from it, then it's fine. but too many have bought one expecting more than it was capable of, (me included) and found themselves displeased with it. i bought one several years ago when i wanted to add another 30-06 to my collection, wasn't happy with it all. never could get consistent groups even with handloads, and just didn't like it. sold it after about a month, (at a loss) and bought a Mossberg ATR in 30-06, much better shooting rifle, was able to get 1/2" groups with handloads out of it. problem i had with the Mossberg, was because of the stock design or material, it hammered my shoulder. i kept it about a year or so, then traded it for a pistol in 44 magnum. now i will end up buying a remington M700 or a marlin XL7 in 30-06 to replace it in the near future.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Get the marlin jonas

18. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Get the damn marlin jonas an smile all the way to the ten ring

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Agreed

20. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

All I can say is that to date I have not heard anything good about a Remington 770 from someone who bought one and used it.