Reminton 770

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hareebrownbeest, Nov 4, 2012.

1. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

Oil it out to the range today and was hitting 1x1 steel plate at 700 yards consistently. Not bad for a cheap rifle with a cheap 3x8x40 no name scope I guess;) cheap magazine didn't fit though so I had to load one at a time by hand.

image-3164098126.jpg

2. cook089

cook089 New Member

What caliber?

3. hareebrownbeest

So I discovered why my magazine didn't fit, I miss placed a piece in the stock

image-2262682402.jpg

I put the metal support block where the release clip goes, my bad.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You sure it was 700 yards? And 1" or 1' plates?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i was kind of wondering the same as well. cheap rifle and a 3-9x40 cheap scope. hmmmmm........ i smell ....... :eek:

6. hareebrownbeest

1 foot by 1 foot, not 1 inch, come on! Ha ha I wish.

7. hareebrownbeest

I can take a video next time. I was pretty impressed with myself to say the least. Rifle was $300 with the scope and all. Lot of people don't like the Remington 770, but for me to do that was pretty satisfying.

image-2522641164.jpg

There she is in the back:)

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Then take a video. Until you do ill say your full of shyt. Iv shot more of them damn things than you've probably handled and can tell you for a fact they aren't that accurate. Also you better have a damn good video camera to zoom 700 yards well enough to show a hit.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  9. hareebrownbeest

Wow! Man... Dude I'll video it through a spotting scope. It's really no big deal:/ I'm not acting like a bad ass or anything, just sayin.

10. hareebrownbeest

I'm pissed that Obama won too, don't take it out on me.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I'm just telling you those guns aren't capable of hitting a plate that small at that distance every time.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I'm curious how you worked out the ballistics to 700 yards. What weight .308 bullet at what velosity? W/ a 150 yards zero a 150gr partition w/ a MV of 2800fps has 147" drop at 700 yards. What MOA adjustment did you make??? Most cheap scopes may barely have enough. Even a 175gr comp bullet at 2700fps has a 142" drop w/ 100 yard zero.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

This is my point exactly. Isn't possible w a) the gun itself b) his scope can't do it c) 700 yards is a whole hell of ALOT farther than most people can shoot-especially w a high arcing trajectory round like 30/06

14. hareebrownbeest

I had a guy that works the range spot for me, I also kept my eye through the scope to see where my bullet was hitting, looking for the dirt to kick up, I then kept making adjustments until I hit the target, I didn't hit it every time, but three outta five shots. Why does this seem so unlikely?

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

At 9x you had about a 101' FOV and could hit a 12" target. That would be the equivalent of hitting a 1.11" target at 100 yards without dealing w/ the distance, or windage involved.

16. hareebrownbeest

Well I know it's a 200 yard zero, the bullets were a Winchester Super X 180 grain. I don't know crap about trajectories and all that ballistics jargon (but I'm learning) I was just trying to see if I could hit a target at 700 yards and I did. That's all.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

then it sounds like pure luck! walking it into the target! that says nothing about the rifle being accurate. with a someone spotting and enough ammo even Ray Charles could have hit the target!:rolleyes:

and before you think i don't have an idea of what i am talking about, i have owned one of those POS rifles, and have shot and sighted in many, and they are at best, minute of deer rifles. mine even with a decent scope, could only get a 2.5-3" group at 100 yards. those rifles are not known for being accurate, and when paired with a cheap 3-9x40 scope............

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  18. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Ok guys cool it. I'll be the first to say that the Remington 770 is one of the worst bolt rifles ever. The Mossberg 100ATR and Savage Axis are twice the rifle it is.

That being said, it's not impossible to think that he couldn't do this. It would more than Likely be more to the shooter than the rifle.

It's not like he is gonna come waste his time telling a lie on the Internet.

I believe him