Remington's parkerized finish

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by pe175, May 18, 2012.

1. pe175

pe175 New Member

I left my Remington 870 in a mildly humid basement for less than a week and today I discovered that the entire metal surface was covered in rust! Is this due to the parkerized finish? I

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Have you ever given it a light coat of oil??? There is nothing that you can put on steel that makes it completely resistant to rust.

3. pe175

pe175 New Member

I oil and clean it as if it were a $15,000 perazzi. I just can't see a gun that has been blued rusting that easily.

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

Those remington finishes are junk they rust so easy

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Remington makes some beautiful polished blued finishes. They also make some excellent Parkerized finishes. The Express is neither. The Express is a bead blasted rough blued finish and often there are residual bluing salts ready willing and able to make more rust given half a chance. You pays your money and makes your choices, or not, as the case may be.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Agree, for $256 I got a syn stock 870 and it just LOOKS parkerized but that process cost $$$. I asked my gunsmith what happened to the beautiful blue & wood of yesterday ? He said they still make it but it cost $600-800 wood dependent.

I keep mine in a silicone impregnated gun sock that is supposed to breath. Midway USA and I run a dehumidifier 24/7. My gun safe has its own dehumidifier ($24) but the 870 doesn't rate space in the safe.

OP - do you have kids ? Teenagers love to play w pumps and leave paw prints everywhere. The more you forbid it....well, you get the idea.

7. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I do not own an Express but an acquaintance who does says he disassembled his and washed it good with warm soapy water, and then dried it good and sprayed it with RemOil and wiped it down. He has no rust issues, I do know that.

8. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

No, no, that's not rust. It is iron oxide. It's an 870. They are the best.
    Rustproof.
    MINE is just fine.
    My grandad had one and it never had a problem.
    You are making this up.
    Exaggerating.
    You are a Remington hater.
    You just got a bad one.
    It was secretly used.
    It is your fault.
    They weren't designed to be stored below the first floor of a home below 14,000 feet in elevation.
    You used the wrong oil: use RemOil, 3-in-1, WD-40, Hoppe's, Butcher Block Wax, silicone, Butter flavored Crisco...
    A bathed Yeti snuck into your basement and licked it.

Did I miss any?

10. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Oh my, that's so amusing.
    Friendly advice; don't quit your day job.

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

Lmao I've heard ppl using about all of these excuses trying to defend 870s

12. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

ROFL. the year. do your 870s rust? i know you have/had some.

Edit: ROFL!!! I MISSED THE YETTI COMMENT!!!

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

My only 870's now are Wingmasters (though I fancy a Police Express). No real problem with rust though quite used. And I live on an island. Kept clean and lightly oiled of course. Expresses? Not any more -- I can hear them rusting.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  14. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

The only rust issue I had was on the threads for the choke. Sell a rusty 870 to some one in the rat rod comunity. They are proud of their rust.

15. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

I store all my guns in a basement not one has rust u just clean n oil them all the time