remington woodsmaster 742

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by mike23, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mike23

mike23 New Member

I have a remington 742 with probably a 10 lb trigger pull and about an 1/8 inch of slop I talked to a gun smith and he said he can't do a trigger job on it that can't be right any ideas?

2. GunDoc

GunDoc New Member

Your gunsmith doesn't want to. I've done many 742/7400 trigger jobs including my own. You can work the factory parts or use aftermarket parts from Timney available from Brownells. I have one on my bench right now I'm doing a trigger job on as soon as the Timney part arrives.

3. mike23

mike23 New Member

Cool thanks gundoc I kinda figured that was the case but I wanted to be sure looks like I'll be finding a new gun smith

4. CarterPowell

CarterPowell New Member

Remington 742 Trigger

If you will call me I will explain how I solve the Remington 740,742,750 etc trigger problems. I can make that trigger work like a jewel! NO TAKE UP, NO CREEP, NO OVERTRAVEL. JUST EVEN PRESSURE AND THEN BANG. I EVEN PUT AN OVERTRAVEL SET SCREW IN THE TRIGGER GUARD.

Best wishes, Carter Powell

carter@barsnake.com or 541 416 1120 or 541 570 0955 here in Oregon

www.barsnake.com

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The problem is they use a shotgun type trigger. They are not the easiest thing to clean up. Check out Remington7400.com

6. CarterPowell

CarterPowell New Member

Remington Triggers,742 etc,

I have done over a hundred in the past thirty years and what I do makes a completely new trigger out of them. They are not necessarily a shotgun trigger at all. Remington designed this trigger group to fit many guns in their lineup. When I am done with a unit it has a set screw installed from the rear of the guard to stop overtravel, about 75% of the trigger movement is eliminated, the trigger is shimmed to eliminate any wobble, the engagement surfaces are stoned to give a smooth non gritty pull and the weight is set to your number. I wont take one down to less than three pounds for a safety issue. It completely changes the who charactor of the trigger and finishes what shoud have been a great trigger to begin with.

Best wishes, Carter Powell