Remington wingmaster receiver wear?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by PlasticGunner, Oct 16, 2012.

1. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

I am looking in to buying a 1979 Remington Wingmaster 2 3/4" smooth bore with a fixed choke. Over all the shotgun look good, The stock is still in great shape but the receiver has seen better days. I have provided a photo of the receiver, About how much would you guys pay for this shot gun?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

What would I give, maybe $100 but I'm not looking for one. Its worth $200 to $250.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I do not see that much wear. It has been used, but not to excess. Non-vent rib, short chamber. Maybe $250 but some knucklehead will give $350. Not worth that.

4. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

without the vent-rib, a full-choke barrel, 2 3/4-inch capabilities, and no etching on the receiver.........no more than $300. $225 would be the highest high that i would go tho.

if it had the extra barrel, i might would go $260.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

GUNNER!

RUN LIKE A DEER FROM THAT DEAL! THE GUN IS A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW!

That damage to the side of the Receiver is because someone has filled or ground the Serial Numbers off the gun. It either has been stolen or used in a crime is my guess!

6. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

lol, i think that he "airbrushed" the serial number out. lol

the slight bluing wear, and very small rust/pock marks is what i think he was talkin bout. ;)

7. Sniper03

Bothhands,

That would make sense but just wanted to tell him incase they had been removed. That is all one of our members needs!:)

8. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

sniper

what IS the red and blue item near the buck's horn base?

is that a craftsman flathead screwdriver? and if so, HUH? lol

9. Sniper03

Gunner,

If you did airbrush it as my friend Bothhands advised the laugh is truly on me!:D But wouldn't wish any trouble on you if it was not airbrushed.

On the other hand there is an inexpensive option to a finish if you do not want to go to the expense of sending it our for a reblue job.

Depending on what type finish you want you can actually Parkerize it yourself. There is a parkerizing solution you can buy. And all you need is a metal container large enough to hold the parts and the Barrel off of the Receiver. As I recall since I use to do several including some for the PD. You just heat the water and chemical solution up to 165 degrees. After using light emery cloth or mild abrasive to remove most of the rust. Just plug the barrel if you are concerned about the bore and let it set in the solution for a short period of time and you end up with a great Parkerized finish. Just one option.
    Also there are some of the painted coating finishes available today. Some of the guys here can help you with that application. They have them in all selections from Camo to Tiger Stripe or what ever. Another option!

Like I said the "Jokes" on the Old Man! Don't scare me like that the Old Ticker is not getting any younger! LOL! Take care and good luck with your project if you buy it. $150 would be a good buy!

10. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

What wear and tear. All kidding aside this looks nearly new. Hunting out west and up north leave our guns with little finish at all after a few decades. I have so many guns with so little bluing left that many assume they are stainless. Our guns are carried way more than they are ever shot.

11. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

Thank you for the input every one, Yes I did block out the serial numbers. If I do buy this Wingmaster I most likely will not fix the receiver up to much, I just wanted to know how much it was worth over all with the damage to the receiver. They are asking $250 but I am thing $180-$200 and I wanted to make sure that I was in the right ball park before I insult someone.
    I am looking for more or less a home defense shotgun but I am not in to the black plastic looking shotguns and I want to buy this one for a good price and buy a shot barrel or cut the one on it down to 20 or 24" and maybe shorten the stock. I love Remington and grew up next to the Ilion NY factory and I know the older ones from my experience are made well. Thanks again for all the input.

12. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

i would ONLY tout the "messed up finish" on the receiver as i was buyin it...............other than that, the marks on the side with the serial number will come off with some a cotton rag, some elbow grease, and WD-40.

13. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

it looks to me to be a well used wingmaster not an express 250 is fair if you want to chop this gun up dont! go find an express or mb 500. this one looks as if it had a story to tell

14. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

I just want to add a chapter to the story.

15. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

I went ahead and bought the old girl... I am pretty happy with my purchase.

ForumRunner_20121021_162336.jpg

ForumRunner_20121021_162354.jpg

16. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Where I live (minnesota) that gun would fetch $250. As long as the rails and action work well, which they probably would being a Wingmaster.

Bought a similar aged one in magnum (3"). It too had a fixed choke (full), but I was able to get a good condition used modified choke barrel for $80. I didn't want to bore- out the original barrel - just me. Plus you don't want to fire steel shot through a full choke

I use this as my upland carry gun. I expect a scratch here and there. It gets rained on, laid in the brush from time to time. I wipe it down when I get home, clean after every 25 rounds or so. Use Johnson's furniture wax on the wood, rem oil on the metal

17. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

I traded some ammo + cash for it, I really like it. It has a improved cylinder choke witch is ok for me, I will most likely buy a barrel also. I broke the gun down completely and cleaned it out, did not look like it was ever done lol. The only thing that I noticed when I cleaned her out was the magazine spring is missing..... Oh well a $5 part and the spring retainer another $5.