Remington thunderbolt destroyed my 10 22

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tnel74, Apr 13, 2014.

1. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397442265.897192.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397442289.749596.jpg

These are pictures of the leading I had to ram out of my ruger 10/22 takedown after shooting about 300 rounds through it. I began to notice a terrible decrease in accuracy and so I took the forend off with the barrel and look at the rifling seeing intense leading to the point where I can not even see the rifling. I tried to clean it with a brush and hoppes and could not get the rod past an inch or two so I flipped it around and rammed a rod with a brass jag down the muzzle and pop!! Out comes that lil beaut. I post this because I want to let other shooters here know of the possibility of what can happen if you choose to shoot Remington thunderbolts (as I have heard this happening to other and always thought "thatll never be me") and to vent some anger. I am a person who cleans there guns after every shooting so I know that it was this ammo that caused the leading. Also I was wonder if there are any suggestions on how to get the rest of the lead out. I am soaking it in hoppes 9 and will try some Remington bright bore if the hoppes does not work. Thanks for listening to me vent and for any replies! They are all appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Product called Kroil. Really, I mean REALLY good penetrating oil. You can get it at Tractor Supply, I order mine from the maker, Kano labs.

Wet the bore, let set 24 hrs, brush. I have used it to clean copper fouling from milsurp rifles. Gets between the fouling and barrel metal, loosens fouling so you can get it out with a brush.

3. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

Thanks c3shooter! The hoppes is not working so I will have to try that!

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Amen! finest bore solvent i have ever used.

lots of benchrest shooters swear by Kano Kroil.

i also find it to be a great penetrating oil for rusted fastners as well.

Kroil and some coarse cloth or very fine steel wool works wonders at removing rust from blued surfaces.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

6. Axxe55

as long as we are giving credit here, C3 and Canebrake were the two gentlemen who recommended it to me almost three years ago. so i simply like to pass on a good product to others as well.

Kroil goes a long ways as well. i bought two 8 oz. cans over two years ago. i have only used maybe half of the first can so far. so IMO it's also a very economical product as well. it was about $9 for an 8 oz. can IIRC.

7. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

Thanks for all replies! I will definently have to get a hold of some and hopefully it will convert me too! :)

8. Axxe55

let me give you my perspective. i have been in and around the automotive and large truck repair industry for almost over 35 years now. rusted fastners and corroded fittings and such are daily occurences for me. i have probably tried just about every type of penetrating oil out there over the years. i tend to be a bit sceptical when i hear claims about something being better than another brand.

i tried the Kano Kroil on a suggestion from C3 and Canebrake, both of whom i havea lot of faith in their recommendations. i was not disappointed in the Kroil in the least. it even exceeded my expectations of what it could do.

Kroil is a good all purpose product for guns in general. it is now now my number one got to product on firearms. yes, it is that good. and no, Kano Kroil didn't pay me to say these things!:p

9. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

Your gettin me all excited about this stuff!! Haha I've heard it mentioned on here before but never paid much attention to it!

10. Bayou

Bayou Member

After reading about Kano Kroil on this thread (the first time I've heard of this stuff), I went to their website and ordered a small can. They also had a promo for a free can of AeroKroil with the first order. I'm always in need of something that can free locked up screws, nuts, plumbing joints, etc.

I hope I get the same results as y'all have posted about the use of this penetrating oil!

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Bayou

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Thanks for the Link input Kano Kroil, I had never heard of it. I just ordered a can.

12. Bayou

Bayou Member

I guess we'll find out together about how this stuff works!

13. string1946

string1946 New Member

They used to use a lot of that stuff in the machine shop at the power plant I worked at. Those orange cans were setting all over the place. I should have stocked up before I retired.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've use quite a bit of that ammo in my 10-22 with no problems.. May be that your barrel needs lapping.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Okay, you all talked me into it. I am going to get me some Kroil.

16. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

I would agree with you but just do a quick google search on Remington thunderbolt and there's countless horror stories. I've also shot probably 2000 or 4 or 5 bulk packs and all have shot fine. It seems as if sometimes there's a bad lot and I must have got one :( I was so excited to find 22 ammo too.

17. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Hoppes isn't really too good at anything.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Maybe that rumor that cleaning a 22 LR barrel is a waste of time and it just wears out the barrel is bunk. I have been cleaning the barrel on a Marlin 60 for 35 years and I have yet to wear it out. I sure have not had any leading from bucketfuls of Thunderbolts.

19. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Thats what it means when they say "I Hoppes this stuff works!" :D

20. string1946

string1946 New Member

I like to put a little behind my ears before I go out.