Remington semi pistol notice!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Sniper03, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Remington Asks R51 Pistol Owners To Send Them Back
    The company released an announcement that problems had indeed been found and that customers who bought an R51 will be allowed to exchange it for a new one after production resumes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Big black eye for Remington.
    How on earth did they let it hit the market. maybe some gun testers need to lose their jobs lol

3. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

What happened? what is the issue? Did Remington learn anything from the Springfield debacle?
    I'm not an owner, just interested.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

People are probably going to keep their R51. They think the worlds most screwed up pistol will become a collectors item.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

C&P from Remington-

Remington R51 Pistol Product Update

Earlier this year, we launched the innovative R51 subcompact pistol to critical acclaim. During testing, numerous experts found the pistol to function flawlessly. In fact, they found it to have lower felt recoil, lower muzzle rise and better accuracy and concealability than other products in its class.

However, after initial commercial sales, our loyal customers notified us that R51some R51 pistols had performance issues. We immediately ceased production to re-test the product. While we determined the pistols were safe, certain units did not meet Remington’s performance criteria. The performance problems resulted from complications during our transition from prototype to mass production. These problems have been identified and solutions are being implemented, with an expected production restart in October.

Anyone who purchased an R51 may return it and receive a new R51 pistol, along with two additional magazines and a custom Pelican case, by calling Remington at (800) 243-9700.

The new R51 will be of the same exceptional quality as our test pistols, which performed flawlessly.

We appreciate your patience and support.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

This seems to be a result of trying to take shortcuts from how a prototype was developed.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Sort of old news now but still a pain to deal with them.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it happens occasionally when a product goes from a prototype to being mass produced and there sometimes need to be minor changes made that improve the mass produced version to where it functions as well as the prototype did in testing. this nothing new and many new products experience these growing pains. i think it's great that Remington is taking a very pro-active position in correcting the minor problems.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is another thread on this.

10. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

The problems were identified almost immediately upon introduction in January and a voluntary recall was issued in July. Also in July they announced they were no longer going to manufacture the R51 as the flaws in the design could not be corrected.

For a short time all evidence of the R51 disappeared from their website and has now been replaced with an announcement it will resume production in October. In the meantime, if you have one they will replace it with a new production gun along with a pelican case and a couple of magazines...

Scott Blackwell, President of Sales and Marketing for Remington was one of the early casualties of this fiasco, being fired in March over what many consider his roll in pushing out a faulty product, then trying to cover up and/or ignore its deficiencies. Some speculate his roll in delaying the recall of the the faulty M700 rifles was also a contributing factor.

Keep in mind, the early 'rave reviews' of this pistol were mostly purchased by Remington, and all reviewers received specially hand selected guns for their evaluations.

Having owned and shot a Remington UMC 51, I was surprised when Remington announced they were updating and reintroducing the delayed blowback Pederson design. It seemed unnecessarily complex and outdated to me. Indeed, in it's day the Model 51 was a commercial failure.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

C3

Thanks for the information on the R51. I had just saw the notice but had no knowledge of why they were recalling them.

12. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

Anyone have new information on the status of the R51?

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

They are sold at gun shops. Nobody talks about them.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Let this old tread go back to the grave where it belongs !

15. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

By all means, lets only talk about those things that hardluk thinks are important.

16. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Any forum members R51 owners? What say you are they Good? Better? Best? or mediocre? or worse?

Some of your voices are respected on contact, and some need some convincing. All are accepted as trying to contribute to the barrel of information.

17. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I think everyone is afraid to buy one.

18. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well , from what I've read and see , i won't buy one , too if'y ? :confused:and ugly .....! Ackhttp://cdn.bearingarms.com/uploads/2014/01/R51-DetailGripSafety-541x660.Ackhttp

Can't get it to play , oh well ! :confused: Never mind but I won't buy it !

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  19. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

Yep, not even Remington, who dropped them from the line.

20. tazzman55

tazzman55 Member

I just looked on the R51 forum. One of the members there had a conversation with someone within Remington in February who said the redesign and testing has so far been successful and that if all goes well they expect to release it in the second quarter of 2016.