Remington R1 SS

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by NorthMtn, Jun 27, 2012.

1. NorthMtn

NorthMtn New Member

I have the opportunity to buy a new R1 stainless from my local gun shop guy for $525.

I've read many reviews and theme of most are the same:
    -shoots accurately
    -good company service
    -American made

CONS:
    -Poor finishing work from factory for external surfaces
    -some models seem flatout flawed causing jams, misfeeds, etc.

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts who owns one.

This'll be my first 1911 so I'm willing to wait and step up in cost and quality if necessary. This'll just be a plinkin pistol for me.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well i bought a Remington R1 Enhanced just a couple of months ago. excellent blued finish, yes, very accurate, fit and finish are very good, so far has fired anything fed through it. i am very pleased with buying it and would do it over again, without hesitation.

at the time i bought my Enhanced, i also looked at the R1 SS version as well, and was very impressed with it. fit and finish were very good, priced decently and the only reason for going with the Enhanced were the extra features i wanted. now if they would come out with the R1 Enhanced in SS, now that would be perfect.

so far i am very impressed with the R1's and very glad i bought it. for $525, for the SS R1, i would jump all over it. for that is about $150 less than what they go for in my area.

3. NorthMtn

NorthMtn New Member

Great input. Thanks!!

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

A SS R1 for $525? I'd be all over that like white on a clansman!

I bought one of the first when they came out. It had some early production issues but a quick one week trip back to Rem on their dime made it right.

I have ~1K rounds down the tube and it runs with any ammo I feed it.

[​IMG]

Here is the report on my R1:

Impressions on the Remington 1911R1

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree thats a GREAT price :)
    Don't own one but have shot one- Fit & finish on that one was real nice & it shot better than me (ya'll dont start now :eek:)

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

No kidding. Does this shop have a website one may purchase said 1911?

7. sjn1955

sjn1955 New Member

I just bought the Remington R1 SS three weeks ago. The fit and finish on the gun were fine. I have put about 1000 rounds through her without a
    hitch and the gun shoots on the money. FYI I paid
    740.00 plus tax for the gun. So the price you saw it for is a steal. Go get it and enjoy! By the way this is my first 1911 and I am ready for another one real soon.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get a Colt's and be enlightened!

[​IMG]

9. sjn1955

sjn1955 New Member

I just may do that. Thanks for the input!

10. yayamamasami

yayamamasami New Member

With all due respect to canebrake and his allegiance to Colt (great weapons!!), may I suggest Springfield Armory? IMHO, some of the best M1911A1's available (along with Colt ;))

11. Axxe55

as much as i like the Springfield 1911's, and i really like them, the Colts are the Holy Grail of 1911's! the original and the one that everyone else copies.

12. NorthMtn

NorthMtn New Member

I appreciate all of the feedback.

I've gotta say.......doing my R1 research reminds me of when I was shopping for my first Harley after owning nothing but rice burners back in the early 90's!!
    -performance very good
    -looks great overall
    -poor factory quality control during assembly
    -fit & finish issues
    .....And I bought one!!!

After reading these posts and tons of other 1911 forums over the past few days, I'm going to refocus my goggles toward getting a Colt or an Ed Brown.

13. yayamamasami

yayamamasami New Member

Can't go wrong with either!! Good luck, send pics and range report!!

14. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle New Member

I have had a R1s in stainless for about 2 months now. This is my first .45 cal and my first 1911A1. I started getting an interest in the R1 because it was the first handgun Rem. had made since their contract in 1913. When the stainless model was introduced at the S.H.O.T. Show I really started looking for one in earnest. I finally found one, and I jumped all over it at nearly $600 plus tax.

Fit, finish, function, accuracy, everything is super good. The slide fits like it was hand fitted. As smooth and tight as the slide on my Browning Medalist for instance. I am totally happy with it. As much as I would also like to have a hand made custom .45 like a Wilson or one of the other fine custom shops, I don't have the $$. The R1-s in stainless, and the Ruger were in my price range, but the Remington is the one I wanted. After shooting it, I can understand why the 1911A1 has survived 100 years + as the iconic handgun. It is a ball to shoot. And what really gets me, my daughter out shot me the first time she picked it up. She says she has dibs on it when I pass my firearms down. :) Tb

15. Axxe55

Tigerbeetle, i have the R1 Enhanced and am really liking it. Remington hit a homerun with these pistols. accurate, good fit and finish and so far mine is very reliable.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

An enlightened man! [​IMG]

17. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Well sounds like from your last post you're letting the R1 go, I went with the Enhanced model like axxe55 did and I have run at least 1,000rds through it without any problem I think the Enhanced might worth looking at I got mine at Budsgunshop.com for $750 or $775 it was worth every penny but like a few others have mentioned you can't beat a Colt. Here's a shot of my R1...
    [​IMG]

18. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle New Member

Reminds me of the "knowing" people who have bypassed the Model 110 Savage over the years, looking for a more accurate rifle or "shootable, won't break rifle," spending 4 or 5 times the price and not having anything better. It isn't always who makes it, it is how good it works. As with some of my fishing rods, I hope I live long enough to wear them out. That would be a goal for my bucket list. :D

19. billt

billt New Member

This is exactly what I found on my Stainless R-1. The slide to frame fit was exceptional. I handled 2 others in addition to the one I purchased, and found the same on all of them. This surprised me, and was a contributing factor as to why I bought the gun.

I had read a lot about the supposed fit and finish issues with this gun, but I honestly didn't see any. The gun is as well put together as any 1911's I've come across. I'll be headed to the range in a couple of days with a good supply of ammo to wring it out. But I must say out of the box, this gun impressed me far more than I thought it would have.