Remington R1 Range Report

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by UnderFire, Jun 13, 2010.

1. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Got a chance today to get away & test my new Remington R1 at the range.

My 1st 14 rounds (2mags) through my R1 at 10yds.
    As you can see I started low, then went high, then found center of target.
    [​IMG]

Next 28 rounds (4mags) through my R1 at 15yds.

[​IMG]

Several rounds through my R1 at 20yds.
    Even used pasters to repair target.

[​IMG]

My 2nd attempt shooting at 10yds with my R1.

[​IMG]

I didn't use any Remington 45ACP ammo during my 1st outing to the range with my new R1. I figured the mfg. (Remington) would mostly use their own ammo to test the newly manufactured R1. I wanted to see how it handled the others. My test ammo consisted of: PMC Bronze 230gr. FMJ (50 rounds), Winchester 230gr. FMJ (50 rounds) and Hornady 200gr. JHP (50 rounds).

Happy to report no malfunctions whatsoever. The only problem after 150 rounds, the left side Walnut Grip Panel became a little loose. While cleaning the R1 tonite I tightened the two screws that secures the wood panel. If it continues to loosen during use I'll use Lok-Tight on the screws.

The trigger pull is light & crisp.
    The R1 shoots accurately.
    Has been very dependable during it's Break-In period.
    With the R1's accuracy up to my tested 20yds. shows me the R1 has street fighting capabilities. The groupings between my 1st attempt at 10yds. and the 2nd attempt at 10yds. shows the potential of this 1911 pistol.

The only corrections I see needing to be addressed are as follows:
    1. The R1 has no checkering on the front strap of it's handle/grip.
    2. The thumb lever on the safety needs to be wider & longer rather
    than the nub that it has.
    3. Beavertails would make it more comfortable to shoot.

But all & all, not bad for Remington's 1st 1911 offering in 91yrs.
    I have a keeper here and will recommend this Remington for anyone interested in buying a quality performing 1911. I have no plans to make any upgrades/changes to my R1. Right out of the box it's a performer.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. Pwnacles

Pwnacles New Member

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Now I definitely know I'm going to buy one. :D Thank you for the range report Underfire.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Very well done range report. Thanks!

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Might have to get one in the future to ad to the Remington Rand. Great report and I hope you enjoy your Remington...

Jim...............

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Have you considered using small o-rings to keep the grip screws tightened? They will not "weld" the screw to the frame.

6. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Great looking gun and good shooting! I wish I could afford one of my own!

7. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

Excellent range report, thanks. :cool: This one just moved up to the top of my buy list! ;)

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good stuff. Thanks for the report. The R1 is now on my wish list.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Very nice pistol and really well done Range Report. Nice shooting Under!!

JD

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Great report, well done! :cool:

Looks like Remington came through.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I just found out that I can get a screaming deal on one these thru my dad's place of employment(hopefully mine if I get hired there).

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Nice report, Under. Well done. I do have to ask though, is the break-in only 150 rounds? I suspect it will get even smoother the more you put through it, which is a good thing! Remmy may just get my business for a good base model for my next 1911. :D

13. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

Very nice UnderFire awesome range report!!!:D

14. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

Nice looking piece and shooting, good to hear a first hand report that backs up what the magazines are saying!

15. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words & compliments. *sniff* :)
    I'm going back to the range Father's Day and run some more ammo down range through the R1.

Soon after finding out Remington was releasing the R1 this year, I wanted one. Although I'm a fan of Remington shotguns & rifles, I was very skeptical of Remington's new 1911R1. With Remington really never making a 1911 and being out of the pistol business for awhile I didn't know if the R1 would be a reliable firearm that could be used on a daily basis or a safe queen that would occasionally be a conversation piece. It was a risk in my eyes, but I wanted the new Remington 1911R1 for my collection. The engineers must've done their homework to create such a fine 1911 pistol as this one.
    Thumbs UP!! Remington

Thanks for the tip. If the screws become an issue I'll use your advice before using Lok-Tight.

Bro,
    The owners manual doesn't mention any "break-in period" per si. I'm a firm believer that precision machined parts need lubrication and adequate breakin time for peak performance and longevity.
    I like to break-in all my semi-autos a little at a time with thorough cleanings in-between. Next trip to the range (Father's Day) I'll run 250 rounds down range. I agree with ya that it'll get smoother the more I put through it.
    Once I've ran 500 rounds through the R1 I'll be very confident in it's preformance.

16. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Looks like I have decided which 1911 will be my first! At the price and performance you describe, you have made up my mind.
    Thank you for a very thorough range report and some fine shooting there too! Enjoy that R1!

17. LuckyGunner

LuckyGunner New Member

Thanks for the range report. I've been curious about how the R1 would turn out. Looks good.

Happy Shooting

18. flatlandhillbilly

flatlandhillbilly New Member

remington 1911

like the way the rem looks i have one of the old ones that is still going strong will checkout the new ones