Remington R1 Enhanced trigger issue

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ArrizX, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I just bought this gun brand new, and it has a loose trigger. Does it need work or will that adjustment tighen it up and take the creep out of it? I am unfamiliar with these so I wanted to ask first.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is it your first 1911?

3. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Specifically, yes. Technically, no.

I have a 1930s super .38 colt from grandpa but it mostly stays in the safe. This is my first one that I will shot often.

4. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

OP said it was brand new.:rolleyes:

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you moved the trigger up, would a dust mite or cockroach slip into the resulting gap underneath?
    How about the sides?

The trigger does not have a pivot point and is different that most other pistols. Some movement is expected.

I'm just trying to find out how much you have.

7. FullautoUSA

Check to see if the sear spring is bent

8. danf_fl

Do not use that adjustment set screw to try to take up slack.

The Remington has a firing pin safety like the Colt Series 80.
    The set screw on the trigger is to adjust the overtravel.
    If it is adjusted incorrectly, the firing pin plunger will not move up high enough into the slide for the firing pin to clear. The plunger then gets "nicked" and can cause a "non-fire" malfunction.

9. Axxe55

the sear spring being bent is not going to have any effect on whether it has up or down, or side to side play. only on whether it preloads the trigger inline.

1911's are not a pivot type trigger and can have much movement and still operate just fine. many people not use to the platform are not use to this type of trigger movement.

all of my 1911's have quite a bit of movement and function fine in regards to the triggers.

10. FullautoUSA

He didn't say it was up or down, or side to side, he said it had a little creep

11. Axxe55

most all 1911's have some amount of creep to them. how many have you owned to know how much is too much or how to adjust for it?

the pistol is new and Remington is very quality oriented, so doubtful there is anything wrong with the sear spring. most people not use to the 1911 platform just need to get use to the differences compared to other pistols.

12. danf_fl

No, that adjustment set screw will not tighten it up.

13. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Sorry for the confusion. The gun is brand new, and my terminology was wrong. The trigger has up and down and side to side play that I do not think it should. Maybe thats just the way it is, I dont know. Functions fine, but the trigger has noticeable movement on it in both directions.

14. danf_fl

Now back to my question. Dust mite or cockroach size movement?
    A little slack is not bad. If it functions well for you, then no problem.

When you go to the range to shoot with friends, compare it to others.

15. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Its more than normal. Its more than every other 1911 at the gun shop today. I shrugged it off because the guy said that screw would take out the slack. The more I thought about it the more I thought he was wrong.

So I am going to go with cockroach size movement. Its enough I could take a video and probably show you. Its probably strong of a 1/32" each way. I want to say its almost a 1/16th but I think thats a big of an exaggeration.

16. Axxe55

the guy is an idiot. Dan Fl is correct about the screw. it only adjusts the overtravel, not slack. and it can be adjusted too much. some people even think it's for adjust trigger pull weight. it's not.

if you only have about 1/32" movement total, that sounds acceptable. the only way to fix it would be to replace the trigger with a new one that has a thicker and taller trigger bow. find a competent 1911 gunsmith and let him look at it and see if the amount is too much and if so, send it back to Remington for repairs.

if you can't find a competent gunsmith, post some very detailed pictures of the trigger showing the amount of slack. i'll bet Dan Fl or Canebrake can tell whether it's got excessive movement and needs to go back to Remington. Cane had some issues with his R1 and said Remington was very good about fixing it and quickly.

17. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Okay thanks. I just dont think its right though. I can make it make alot of noise by jiggling it around and I dont think you should be able to do that.

18. Axxe55

my R1's trigger moves around quite a bit and it shoots great. can get an easy 2-3" group all day long at 10 yards. so IMO it doesn't seem to affect accuracy in the least. most 1911's have a lot of trigger play.

19. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Okay good to know. Sorry I thought the quality would be better but here is a video I made anyways

[​IMG]

20. Axxe55

ArrizX, that seems pretty normal to me as mine has about the same amount of play in it. IMO, and i could be wrong, i think your R1 is just fine. it does take some getting use to if coming from a different platform of pistols.

i think after some of the others view the video, they will also conclude there's nothing wrong with yours as well.