Remington R-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mrb1982, Dec 24, 2011.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I have a buddy with a Remington R-15 in 223. Are these considered good, reliable AR's? I know very little about AR-15's but think it would be a fun gun for shooting varmints and playing around with. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think they're actually built by bushmaster. Could be wrong though, and that's hear say.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I don't know what they go for in your area but I just did a search and saw one for $1150. For that kind of money I'm going another direction.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

They look great, have a fine old name but basically are (or soon will be as supply channels consolodate) just a Bushmaster or DPMS in camo. For that money I'd get a better AR. If you truly just want something to play around with, the S&W Sport can be found for around $600.

5. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

I think I read that their bbl. is not chrome lined I could be wrong correct me if I am.

RemingtonĀ® Introduces Line of AR-15 Style Model 597

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

It probably isn't. Chrome lining is done to increase barrel life and make it easier to clean. The downside of it is that it decreases accuracy. Dice the R-15 is marketed to hunters, the benefits of the chrome lining really aren't needed, and they typically want all the accuracy they can get, so skipping out on the chrome lining is a smart move.

-Fred

7. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Interesting info. I do know that for the money, a guy would probably be best off just buying a Rock River. He would probably give me a fair deal on this one though. How much would one be worth used you think?

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Why would you spend $1150+ on a RRA? :eek:

To me the same logic applies as for the Remington AR - at that price range there are better choices. Or get something as good for less. If you can get a good deal on the R-15 it's up to you. But there are lots of great choices out there.

9. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Cool. Do you have any specific recommendations by chance. I am not very well educated on AR stuff so any suggestions you have would be great. Thanks

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

First, what do you want in an AR? Your applications, preferences, budget, etc. Check out all the "what should I buy" threads over the last couple weeks for ideas. I'd be in no hurry to spend a dime until being able to clearly state exactly what you want. Over and over we see people buy the wrong thing so naturally they aren't happy with what they bought after they finally get up to speed with ARs.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Intended application will make a huge difference. Shop around and learn your stuff.