Remington quality?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MAX4utah, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MAX4utah

MAX4utah New Member

I have owned a few Remington shotguns, all bought at least 7 years ago. Lately, the last 2 years or so, i have read several reviews on remington's shotguns and their poor quality, and poor quality control ontop of a couple re-calls on newly released guns. I have not come across to many remington fans lately.

I have been a remington fan for years. I am in the market for a new rifle and considering a Model 700. I am a bit sceptical on buying a Remington product these days. What are your opinions on Remington rifles? I am looking at all the major brands in 30-06, Browning, Rugar, Tikka, Winchester...

2. Wambli

Wambli Member

I have been a Remington fan for years too and still am. I buy a fair amount of Remington products a year for myself and others (mostly 700 rifles and 870 shotguns) and have had 0 problems atributable to Quaiity Control. I would buy a 700 tomorrow without any reservations at all...

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

remington quality is taking a big nose dive in many product lines. usually the lower end stuff stay away from. i have a remington 700 xcr compact in 308 it is of recent manufacture and very high quality. but i wouldnt buy one sight unseen.

remington atm is on a quality downswing and until they stop out sourcing i would be hesitant to buy one without putting eyes on it. the higher end product lines seem to be fine but again inspect before you buy.

your prolly better off looking at savage

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

FANBOY right here.

I love Remington and have always loved the 700.

That being said once they were taken over by cherrybus they were in the hole and worth nothing. Cherrybus is an investment corp. They buy floundering companies and trim them down streamline things and make them profitable then sell them for a big profit. These people to reduce cost cut corners on many things. Bottom metal is not POT metal. The stocks are just JUNK on anything with an SPS on the end of it and many others.

If you buy a CDL, VLS, VSSF II of one along that line you are going to get a decent rifle with decent fit and finish. You are also going to spend $700+ on a rifle that is the same quality as a HOWA which you can get for $350 to $500...

Savage is also a good choice as is CZ, Tikka and others.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I agree with Tango's assessment. Remington USED to be a fine firearms company.

Now they are an EXCELLENT marketing company that also makes firearms of varying degrees of "good''.

For a boltgun I would look at the Howa, the Weatherby Vanguard ( which is the same as a Howa imported by Weatherby with a couple of differences ) or a CZ.

Unfortunate to say but the "American Made" Remington Rifle is no longer made with all US parts, nor is it the same quality ball park as their rifles produced before Remington became a footnote in Cerebus' Investment Catalog. :(

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

MAX

I will start by saying there are a lot of fine rifles out there.
    But I have and still like the Remington's. Two years ago I purchased a new Remington 700 CDL in Rem. 7mm Mag. I did take it to the Remington Service Shop and have them do a 3.5 pound trigger job on it. I am a Remington Armorer also but since the gun was brand new I had the pros do it. I will say that it is the most accurate skinny barreled hunting rifle I own. With the 150 Grain Remington Accutip it will group three rounds at .461 at 100 yards. That is plenty good enough for me. Some of my bull barrels do not shoot much better. Anyway I think the guys hit the nail on the head. If you by one that is not the top of the line you obviously are possibly sacrificing some quality. That makes perfect logical sense. If a company cuts things on the rifle to cut the cost one could expect a difference. I believe if you stay at the top of the line with any manufacturer you will in all probability get a good rifle.
    No hesitation here buying a good quality Remington. A lot of the bad press regarding the triggers came from the anti gunners and MSNBC Imagine that!
    Not that it couldn't happen but is simply a trigger adjustment if it does. One should have shot his or her rifle enough to realize there is a problem if there were to be one!

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

From everything I found or read the triggers that had problems were all "Adjusted by owners". Yes Remingtons triggers can be adjusted by the owner there are instructions all over the web. The thing is you have to know what you are doing and you have to do your homework. You need to make sure things are safe and many people don't.

When I adjusted mine it was 13# from the factory sorry on a varmint rifle your lucky I set it to 2# that is way to heavy for me on a varmint rifle. I wanted it as light as I could get it with out it being unsafe. What I did was adjust it down to where I really wanted it. Then I would put the gun back in the stock and drop it on the butt from about 8 to 12 inches controlling it the whole time. If the trigger fired it was to light. I adjust it and did this till I got it as light as I could with out it firing from an 8 to 12" drop on the but. It was set at 2# that was light for that trigger it felt like it had gravel or metal shavings in it.

I ended up replacing it with a timney it is now set to 1# and it breaks like glass.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I totally agree with '03 and Tango. Everything about Remington Factory triggers was end user caused and SHOULD NOT be of buying concern.

I can't not assign any blame to Remington for the reports of the "accidental discharges" or the "firing by itself" claims. And this comes from someone who is not a Remington fanboy. ;)

JD

9. Wambli

Wambli Member

Ok I figured I would ask someone that deals with Remington a lot. My buddy works for a big box outdoors store that sells more Remingtons in one week than most folks will handle in a lifetime. I asked him how many Remingtons has he had come back for warantee repair in the last 6 months.

His answer was ONE. And it was caused by a dope running steel shot through the full choke of his new 870. He did get three shots out before it bulged and peeled back like a banana. Even though it was operator error Remington fixed it no charge...

My last Remington purchase was the low a low end .223 SPS Varmint. Took it out of the crappy stock it came in and bedded it to an HS Precision I had laying around. It is a consistent .5 MOA shooter with .45 HP UMC cheap bulk ammo. Don't know how good it would actually get if I ever decided to reload for it... Just saying...

Oh BTW Cerberus is run by some of the most conservative folks in the world. The CEO is George Bush's ex-Secretary of the Tresury, John Snow and the corporate spokesperson is Dan Quayle. They have combined all their Firearms business acquisitions into a company called Freedom Group and are in the process of investing boatloads of capital in tooling, marketing, and in general updating these companies so they can move into the 21st century.

They are probably the best thing that has happened to our firearms industry that historicaly has been a dinosaur run by a bunch of inbred close relatives. The same folks that almost bankrupted S&W and made Colt into the joke that it became in the 80-90's. Too bad they were not able to save Winchester from falling into European hands.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

They can be the most conservitive all they want. They are producing JUNK.

Sorry every SYNTHETIC stock is nothing more than injection molded Chinese plastic. I know I have an SPS take off stock I paid $35 for. When you shoot it there is a horribly hollow sound. I had to fill the butt with greatstuff spray foam. Why can't remington do that seeing as they get the stock for $1 each. I had to take a dremal to it to get my POT metal bottom to fit the stock.

I have seen more than a few sitting on the shelf where the stock was touching the barrel in 3 places because it was bent like a TACO.

Sorry that is not my idea of a quality product in my eyes.

So when they can fix that they will get my business back. Till then if I buy a rifle it will be something other than a Remington.

Don't even get me started on their nasty Russian imports that they were trying to pawn off on people.

Oh and that wonderful piece of engineering called the 770. I wouldn't shoot one if they paid me. I see them looked at them that right there is a disgrace to the Remington name.

11. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

I have to agree with tango on this, You are probably alright with their higher end stuff. I have a VLS and I am very happy with it, if I were to look for a new rifle in the $300 to $800 range I would certainly look at Remington, but would probably buy something else.( At least that is what has been happening with me lately). The trigger thing was obviously anti-gun generated, I have never personally had a problem with Rem 700 triggers. I have owned and used a 700 BDL and other Rems since 1983 without any issues. As to Cerberus investing in new firearms equipment etc. for Remington and other firearm companies they own I hope this is true. Other companies owned by Cerberus have not been so lucky. My two cents.

12. BearTaylor

BearTaylor New Member

I've never gone wrong with Remington rifles and shotguns. I recently bought two of their new 1911 R1 handguns and they are excellent quality--steel construction, cycle with no jamming problems and shoots straight.

13. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

I bought a basic Rem 700 ADL in 30-06 in 1997 and never had a problem with it. It even grouped around one inch with CoreLokt 150gr ammunition. This year I traded it in toward a Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08, which turned out to have a headspace issue. To their credit, Remington sent a box with shipping label and repaired the rifle at no cost to me in under three weeks. I have yet to go to the range again to make sure it is functioning properly.

Based on my limited experience with Remington rifles from different eras, Remington has let their quality slip. I am, however, still rooting for the company to get their act in gear and rebuild their reputation. I even bought a Rem 597 .22.

If my Model Seven gives me any problems when I go to the range next, I shall swear off the brand and replace it with a Thompson Center.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Bought my wife a Remington 700 in .270. Not one issue with it, accurate, reliable and quite happy with it.
    I realize every company makes a lemon now and then.

15. fmj

fmj Active Member

Remington produces MILLIONS of guns a year...your gonna get a couple duds due to shear numbers. Buy with confidence!!

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

from my personal viewpiont and experiance, i like most of remingtons firearms. i own several remington M700's in different calibers and am very happy with them. i just bought a M700 action from brownells to have barreled, with a custom barrel. brand new with no ISS! that being said, a few years ago i bought a new M770 in 30-06, worst piece of junk i have ever owned. i sold it for a lot less than i gave, and was glad to, just to get rid of it. IMO, if you buy aremington buy the upper grades as i think they take too many shortcuts on the lower grades to be able to make a profit.

17. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

My gun safe has a good number of Remingtons in it. My favorite gun of all time is my 18 year old 870 that has had a $hit ton of shells through it and put down more clay pigeons than I could guess on, 8 turkey, 2 deer, and again more squirrels than I could guess. I have the first model year wing master from grandpa and several in between. Everyone looks brand new and I've never had so much as a jam out of a single one.
    Ruger and Remington are at about a dead tie for quality in my book.

18. ba_50

ba_50 New Member

A custom action maker told me to get a 700 SPS varmint vs Howa, and Savage. The only Savage he recommended was the F-class in 6BR. Nobody else can touch it for the price. I want a LH rifle so the Howa is out anyhow. He didn't recommend spending extra money on a different 700 stock and that most shooters either don't know how to evaluate factory ammo or can't shoot well enough to judge. I think there is a lot of truth in that. He could have suggested another make but didn't.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  19. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I feel I can be adequately objective on this topic. I have 2 Remington 700's, and have owned 1 other one. I bought a 700 BDL 270 in 1996, a 700 SPS 7mm Rem Mag in 2005, recently sold that and bought a Sendero 7mm Rem Mag that I shot for the first time yesterday. Yes, I will agree, the SPS stock is not an optimal stock. If you want an optimal stock, then pay the money for it. You are getting what you pay for. With that said, it is a fine stock if you are a casual shooter in my opinion. The Sendero, I only have one word for it, awesome. I have not shot it much yet, but I don't see us having any troubles getting along from what I've experienced thus far.

I do know that I have talked to other people about other stocks from other gun makers and the opinion I gathered was kinda the same for all of them. The stocks on all these cheaper guns are cheap. That is one of the main places of cutting cost. Same actions, triggers, and in some cases, same barrels.

If you were looking for something that would be kinda cool, take an SPS, put a nice HS or Bell Carlson stock on it, and you will have the best of both worlds. I have seen a couple guys put pics on here of them and they look like a real nice gun and would shoot well.

20. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

A quick follow-up to my original post...

Remington returned my Model Seven and the head space problem has been repaired. The rifle still has problems chambering a round from the magazine (though that may be due to the range requirement that only one round be loaded at a time) and the bolt has so much play that it can bind if you are not careful when cycling it. The rifle will shoot around one inch groups if you let the barrel cool between rounds.

I bought a Rem 597 and took it to the range. On the third shot it threw off the ejection plunger and stopped functioning. Their service rep simply sent a new bolt assembly for me to install myself, They did not offer to make the repair and they did not want to see the failed bolt to perform an engineering evaluation and learn from their mistakes.

I made several calls, penetrated the bureaucracy, and found the Remington Director of Service Operations. I wrote him an email stating that I used to be a loyal Remington customer and described my recent problems with his firm's products. He never responded, and that speaks volumes.

It is too late to switch rifles before opening day of deer season, but in November I am trading in my Model Seven for a Thompson Center Venture.