remington or mossberg

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by dcm, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dcm

dcm New Member

ok im sure this has been talked about berfore but i need to know what people like about either shotgun to help make up my mind. Im going to get either an 870 or a 590 with an extended tube and no pistol grip to use as a tact shotgun. Right now Im favoring the 590 because the pump release is behind the trigger guard and can be actuated by my middle finger without moving my hands and also because on the 870 the little lever underneath the chamber that lifts rounds up to be chambered pinches my fingers when i load the tube. Anyway I want to know if there is any hidden benefit/thing i dont know about the remington that makes it a great gun. For those who have an 870 why do you like that gun over others?

2. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Both are good shotguns, but the 870 has proven itself to be the most reliable pump action shotgun ever made and I believe has sold more than all other pumps combined. I read somewhere a comment by a law enforcement armorer who had to do an investigation every time there was a weapon malfunction--he said of all the investigations he did on malfunctioning shotguns, none was ever a Remington 870. If you pick up a used 870 and any other pump, and work the action, you will most likely know immediately why everyone likes them by how smooth and positive they are.

3. rfdallas

rfdallas New Member

I have an 870 and love mine. I am sure 590's are just as good.

4. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

870, in EVERY police car in america. Carried by our troops. Fewer moving parts. Easier to field strip.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Mossberg is a Walmart Delux. Much cheaper made, MANY more parts, A ***** to field strip.

Had a friend in a dove field have his barrel on his 590 just separate off the mag tube AND receiver mount as he cycled a new round in the chamber. BRAND NEW gun.

Had a guy short stroke an 870 a few weeks ago in a dove field. Pulled the barrel, drove out the two trigger pins and presto, fixed. re-assembled in seconds, back in the game. To this day still have not figured out HOW he short stroked it.

I own 6 and I can't replicate the issue. He was shooting a cheap cost cutter ammo, can't remember the brand.....

In my book I avoid mossbergs.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I just picked up a Benelli Nova with extended tube and ghost ring sights. The dealer had some centurian shells that were interesting. Pumpkin ball with 6 #1's. I need to pick up some slugs and get to the range.

6. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Great gun but why spend more money than you need to to get comparable or even BETTER quality and dependability?

7. JTJ

$425 OTD. One of the dealers has another one without the extended tube for $470 OTD ($430+tax) and a $50 rebate from Benelli. He has all his Benelli's on closeout. I dont know if he has them on his website.
    Sam's Shooters Emporium

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. orangello

orangello New Member

"Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements.[2])

While the Marines officially switched to the semi-automatic M1014 Combat Shotgun in 1999, various branches of the US military are still acquiring pump shotguns. The Navy acquired several thousand Mossberg 590A1 shotguns in 2004[9], and the US Army placed an order in 2005 for 14,818 units at a price of just over US$316 each[10] (The Benelli M1014 is considerably more expensive).

In 2009 US Special Forces Groups procured Military Enhancement Kits to provide a standardized shotgun configuration based on the Mossberg 500. The kits included a collapsible stock, "shotgun retention system", 1913 receiver rail, forend rail system and breaching barrels. A total of 1301 shotguns were converted with the first unit being equipped in July, 2009. The majority of the kits convert the standard issue shotgun to a 14" compact model with a 16" accessory breaching barrel."
    Mossberg 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia From wikipedia, so worth reading buy should be verified before a purchase.

I've been very happy with my Mossy 500. I will say that every 500 i have used myself had a rattle between the forestock and the ammo tube, but it hasn't bothered me. I have also heard Mossberg given poor reviews by higher volume shooters (trap & such), but i am not remembering why they didn't care for it.

Classicarms.us has a more budget-minded Mossberg 500 "persuader" for tactical use for $289ish, "8 shot".

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I personally like the 870. Why......I guess cause I've never had a problem with it and my family has used them for generations.

I've never shot a Mossy 500.

I really like the Winchester model 12 too. Also, Just picked up a Winchester 1300 from a buddy looking to get some money to buy books for school and I really like it too (except that the winchoke is almost extinct and hard to find).

10. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have 870 and love it.

I just acquired another 870 for Home Defense. :D

I going to take the new 870 to the range. I do a range report without pics, reason is we have to have the shotgun targets set at 25 yards (Range rules). Last time I took the 870, was on target and was had a very big spread, using mostly 1 oz. 8-shot. Will use some managed-recoil slugger (Remington) for the wife shooting!

11. 9mmar

9mmar New Member

Both guns have there perks. I am an 870 fan, only because you can interchange parts and put a extended mag tube on any 870. The gun can go from having a 30 inch barrel for dove hunting to having a 18 inch barrel, a pistol grip, and extended mag tube in just a few minutes. With the Mossberg you have to replace the barrel and tube. I have Training 870's with several thousand rounds of "00" Buck threw them each year and they require very little maintenance.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have a Mossberg 835 and a Remington 870. If I was hunting turkey I"ll take the Mossberg any day of the week. But that's what ti was made for. The 870 on the other hand is much easier to modify to suit multiple needs. Tons of things out there to make an 870 work any way you might want it to. Mossbergs can be dealt with this what too but it seems much easier to find parts for an 870.

By the OP post it seems that there is a leaning to the Mossberg mainly due to comfort. If this is the case then I would say run with the 590. How a weapon feels to the shooter is just as important as the weapons function. Mossberg makes a quality shotgun. They are not the most popular maybe but that's not because they are not a good shotgun. I know plenty people that will swear by them. The biggest reason I got the 870 I have was because I can get parts easier and can make set it up any way I want with ease. And I got a really good deal on it so it was actually more cost effective.

13. Harley4ever

Harley4ever New Member

Would you guys recommend this Remington 870 as a suitable weapon for home defense?

I might also want to do some sport shooting with the same gun...

Sorry didn't see this post before posting my question!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I am not an 870 fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. The 870 is a good shotgun. The Mossberg 500 or 590 are also good shotguns. A major difference is ease of cleaning. The way Mossberg has the shell stops set up is a major PITA to properly clean. When you take out the trigger group on a Mossberg, all kinds of parts fall out. The 870 comes neatly out in one unit.

The 870 is not perfect. The shell stops are staked in. They are a little more difficult to get good and clean, but they do not normally fall out. When they do, the gun gets to make a trip to the factory or a good gunsmith.

Give me a Winchester or FN

15. Harley4ever

Harley4ever New Member

From reading this it would seem to me that the 870 would be good for someone like me who his relatively inexperienced with shotguns (I have a shot a few times with various different ones over the years but never owned one myself) especially in the maintenance aspect of being a gun owner.

As I mentioned before, my primary interest in owning a shotgun is for home defense if the need ever arises (God foribid) but I am keen on getting a good bit of shooting in with the weapon be it target or maybe some sport like trap or skeet (which I have never done but damn it looks fun!)..

So being able to take care of the gun without having to be a gunsmith sounds like a bonus on it's own right.

I like alot of the Mossberg models I have seen for the 'cool' factor they possess but I want to make a smart purchase my first time out if possible with out getting dragged down by cool paintjob and pistol grips etc.. (which is hard for me not to do!)

16. JTJ

You can buy a Mossberg 500 with a long vent rib tube with screw in chokes along with an 18" barrel as a set. Very inexpensive. Big 5 had them advertised under $400 at least locally. That would give you a hunting barrel and a home defense barrel. About 5 minutes to change.

17. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I believe the gun selected by the military was the Mossberg 590A1, which is not a 500. 500s have plastic safeties which are prone to breakage, among other differences. Remington did not choose to even submit a gun to the tests, figuring it was not worth the expense I guess. They have sold tons of them to the military and police over the years, just not this go round.
    The Remington Express 870 is built to a low price point. It is the same basic gun, with several cost cutting measures employed; if you pick up a good used Wingmaster or Police model next to an Express you will quickly see what I mean.
    There have been some reports of Expresses having rough chambers and having difficulty ejecting cheap shells, but I have seen people beating Mossbergs on the ground to get them to eject too, and one Nova. I have not heard of anyone who sent a gun back to Remington or Mossberg to get it fixed where their problem wasn't resolved. The people who continue to moan after one home remedy or another didn't work I ignore, because I didn't see what they did or how they did it. I have fixed a couple myself and it was very simple.

18. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Remington 870 in either a LW20(5 lbs, 3" chamber, 20" bbl) or a Special Field 12 (3", 21" bbl).

Maneuverable enough for home defense, and well suited in most shotgunning hunts.

I took pheasant with mine last year.

19. VAGlocker

VAGlocker New Member

Doesn't Mossberg's receiver made from aluminum? Remington's made from a block of steel... more tougher anytime than aluminum.