Remington Nitro Mag Slug?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by redneck1676, Aug 17, 2015.

1. redneck1676

redneck1676 New Member

Hey all. Does anyone know if the Remington Nitro Mag 12ga barrel can handle a slug? It's ot the factory barrel on it with the plastic/composite the full length of the barrel. My sons looking to deer hunt with it this fall. If it can handle a slug, does anyone have a suggestion of which slugs to use. Thanks in advance Happy Hunting. Jason

2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

In theory, yes. A slug is softer than the steel of the barrel, so any give should be in the slug, not your barrel. Choke wise, bigger is better most of the time, so use a modified or larger tube for the least amount of slug crush, and more accuracy if you have one with the RemChoke system.

3. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

Yes. I was shooting them in mine last week. 3 inch rifled slugs 1600 fps I believe..No problem for the 887 but hell on the shoulder:eek:

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

And that's why I stick with 2.75 inch slugs. 3 inch won't make it any more dead, and it's easier on both the gun and you. ;)

5. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

I just happened to have bought them for some reason....I have 3 1/2's too.....I don't know if they will ever get used...LMAO..:eek:

6. redneck1676

redneck1676 New Member

Thanks for the feed back guys. Well pick up some rifled slugs and see how they fly