Remington Mohawk 48 Photos

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by CA357, Dec 4, 2009.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I picked it up today. Click twice on the thumbnails for the largest photo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That's sure a pretty 12 gauge CA!!

3. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

if you had warned me you'd be posting this I'd have worn a dribble bib.

4. CA357

We're going to hit the trap range in the morning. :D

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I hope you keep a close eye on it, because it surely looks like someone polished all the bluing off of that gun. In otherwise nice shape though.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Great looking shotgun, but can you hit anything with it?

7. CA357

I'm gonna find out a little later this morning. :D

Virginian, it seems to be chrome and was manufactured around the same time as the Nylon 66's that Remington made, so it very well may be. I'm still researching it.

It shows wear. The checkering on the pistol grip is quite worn and the full choke is more like a modified now, likely from shooting steel.

My best guess is that it has broken a lot of clays in its time.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I did not consider the polished off bluing angle. Remove the trigger group. Is there any evidence of chrome/nickle inside the receiver? Brushed chrome, maybe.

9. CA357

It's too cold and foggy to go trapshooting this morning, so I'm going to stay nice and warm on the internet and research it as best I can instead. ;)

10. CA357

I emailed Remington with the serial number and asked if it was actually chrome and if they could tell me anything about it. I'm not really finding anything helpful on the net right now. :(

11. suprdave

suprdave New Member

It's a looker. Let me know how she shoots!

12. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

CA357,

Excellent Remmy Shotgun, I'm turning green!! :D
    For info, have you gone here?: Remington Society of America -

Great place with lots of knowledge about vintage Remingtons.
    I'm a member there and got a lot of help on my Civil War era Remingtons.
    You don't have to be a member to float through their forum. There's been topics before on Mohawks.

Good Luck!!
    I want to hear about you dustin' some clays soon. :)

13. CA357

Thanks UF. I went to the Remington Society, but it looks like there's a fee to join and money's a bit tight right now.

I emailed Remington customer service on Friday and am waiting for a reply.

14. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Please excuse my noobness, but you guys seem to really be drooling over this thing, whats so wicked about the mohawk? (first time Ive heard of this model) :confused:

15. CA357

It's just an old recoil operated shotgun and not the best shotgun they ever produced. However, it's a looker and I'm trying to find out it it's actually chrome or not. It was produced around the time of the early Nylon 66 .22 rifles and they made a 66 in chrome. So, it's a quest to figure it out.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Noobnes forgiven. Finding older guns still in nice condition excites some of us. Finding unusual variants excites some of us. Sharing in a fellow member's new purchase is what the brotherhod is all about.

17. YJGUY

YJGUY New Member

The Mohawk was a less expensive variant of the 11-48. They were mostly sold thru chain stores like Wards, Sears, etc. Good guns, based on the original John Browning design. I have never heard of one offered in Nickel, but I may be wrong. It is a good looking gun none the less.

18. CA357

Yup, it's mystery. It's been suggested that it has had the blueing removed and then been polished, but who knows? I have an inquiry including photos into Remington, hopefully they can come up with something on it.

19. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Semi-auto?? How much did you snag it for if you don't mind me asking?

20. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Most of us gun guys who have have modest collections like finding off-brand type guns or guns of a less expensive nature that are still high quality. I have a couple of expensive (to me) guns but some of my favorites are my Westernfield 550 20 ga, my Rossi 68 .38 sp 3", and my Sears Ted Williams 94 30-30. These three cost a total of $430. All were great deals as they are all almost like new. That makes for a pretty good brace of weapons and they all function well and look nice though plain compared to say a Rem 870, a S&W .38 and a Winchester 94.