Remington Model Four .308 issues

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Moparkid13, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

Ok I just bought this gun a week ago and I took it to a friends house today to shoot, unfortunately with a slight issue. It Shoots, feeds, and extracts perfect. The issue is after I shoot a round it does not recock.. I know this gun is supposed to be a better variation of the 7400. The Ammo I was shooting is Tula 150 gr. .308 and it doesn't look like theres been many rounds through it. also I did clean and oil it real good the day before we went... Any ideas??

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Clean and lube the rifle, especially the chamber. Try different ammo.

3. fmj

fmj New Member

^^^THIS^^^

I have a Rem model 4 in 30-06 and have NEVER had an issue with it. (my only issue is the bolt doesnt lock back when the magazines are empty) But i always feed it Remington ammo. Will be feeding it my handloads this year.

4. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol well I was in the same boat as u but my gun was Browning bar and i did the same thing and took it down and cleaned it and that didn't fix it so I took it back to the Store and they got it fix for me and they said something on the firing pin broke and that made it where it wouldn't re set

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

5. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

I forgot to mention i did clean and oil it. the day before we went

6. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

Could it be the cheap steel cased Tula ammo I was using.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Pick some blue box Federal .308, it is decent ammo and lower end of the cost scale. If the federal works in the gun, then you likely have your answer.

Although, I run steel case in my AR with no problems whatsoever.

I have a Rem. model 740, the model 4's great grandfather, and the one time I tried shooting mil surp ammo in it, it misbehaved. But my 740 has run any brand of sporting ammo I have ever fed it.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Try to stay away from steel if you can and tula byfar is the cheapest out there. .

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Ammo would be my first suspect as well

10. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

Ok i'll go buy a box of brass cased ammo. and try it. It might be a few days before I can shoot it though, Cause I live in the city unfortunately... And the range close to me doesn't allow rifles