Remington Model 600

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Blaine, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Blaine

Blaine New Member

I inherited a Model 600 Remington and was just wanting to know some info on it.

I know they only made them for a few years in the 60's and they were meant to be a guide rifle.. It is chambered .222.

Anyone have any experiences with this rifle? How much is it worth?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have one in .308- it WILL leave marks on you.

Look on the SIDE of the trigger for a letter stamped there. There is a safety recall on these- if no letter, call Remington with the serial number- under some conditions, rifle may fire when safety is released.

Made 64-67, yours is around $500-$800.

3. Blaine

Blaine New Member

I have no stamp. Thanks for the reply.

4. Blaine

Blaine New Member

Anybody else have any input?

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Light handy rifles. Good idea that did not catch on. A friend had one in .308 anbd it was the most god awful shooting POS short of a Raven .25 Auto pistol. He could not hit the broad side of a barn, from inside the barn.

IIRC, they had rear locking lugs (6?). If yours shoots well, hang on to it. Reportedly they got a few right.

Before I get flamed, I am a Remington rifle fan, just not a 600 fan.

The concept was revisited with the model 7. They seem to have figured it out by then. They work.

6. c3shooter

Robo- 2 lugs at front of bolt- click HERE: 600 (*)

7. Blaine

Blaine New Member

Is the front blade type site on the 600 the same as the Nylon 66? It looks the same.

8. c3shooter

Similar, not the same. The 600 takes part # 85940A, the Nylon 66 takes 82670C

9. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

I have one in 35 Remington that is supposed to be somewhat rare due so few in that caliber being made. Very handy size while not a tack driver, it is fairly acurrate at about 2 MOA. It wears a 2.5 Weaver old style with post/crosshair. Fast handling little brush gun. Never hear of any recall on their safeties that are similar in design to the old 1917 and 1914 Enfields. I know there has been some talk of the Remington 700 model's safety, but other than comments, I don't think there is a recall on them. It was the military and still is used as a sniper rifle

10. c3shooter

OOrah- there is a recall on the 600, or I would not have posted. I just got mine BACK from Remington, they having completed the recall.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Check for the recall and have the fix completed and then shoot the heck out of it. I personally really prefer shorter, faster handling rifles and carbines.

12. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Thank you, I will check into it. I hesitate to send it in with a bad memory of sending in a Winchester 100 in for a firing pin recall. It was packed for shipping so well, I would not fear driving over it with a car. You guessed it UPS managed to break the stock. This was a pre 64 and had not been made in years with a checkered walnut stock. No clue where it came from, but the people doing the recall firing pin replacement had but on a brand new nicely figured stock at no charge. The downside is the pre 64s had hand checkered stocks and newer ones a stamped or carved type basket weave areas where the checkering used to reside. Would you believe it was less securely packed for it's return journey?