Remington Model 6 rebuild

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by jdsingleshot, Dec 20, 2019.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Very nice resuscitation.

OLD Ron likes this.
  2. SGWGunsmith

There was some mention in another thread concerning thoughts about how and where a firing pin hits the .22 rimfire rim on the cartridge case. If you notice, the Remington Model 6, original version, does indeed have the firing pin hitting the rim at the 6 O'Clock position, whereby the newer version does not.
    In theory, it may read better to have the strike at the bottom of the case rim, where powder has settled, but I've never read or heard of that making a notable difference.

Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.

3. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Active Member

Yes, mine hits at the bottom. The block was drilled that way, so it seemed the best choice to leave it like that. My block is from a .32 rimfire, so that required milling the barrel to fit lower. I don't know whether the .22 blocks were drilled different or if Remington milled the barrels such that one block type fit both. At any rate, mine goes bang!

The later blocks with firing pin at 9 o'clock might position the tip to hit parallel with the bore rather than a glancing strike in the bottom position. That seems a better plan to me.

OLD Ron likes this.
  4. SGWGunsmith

jd, it can be difficult at times to find useable .22 caliber parts for the Steven Favorite rifles, so I will also adapt parts from other calibers involved with these rifles, and have even made some "custom machined" parts to serve the particular need.
    For example, here is a .32 rimfire breech block that I used in the restoration of a .22 1915 Favorite, but I could not use the firing pin for said breech block as this was going into a .22 caliber 1915 Favorite. So, the alternative was to machine a "custom" firing pin. I needed to calculate the off-set of the tip required so it would strike the .22 rimfire case rim properly when a round was chambered. Worked out very well, with my first attempt, even:

[​IMG]

crash11049, Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  5. jdsingleshot

We think dangerously alike. That's the first thing I tried with my Model 6. But the possible offset was not enough. I appreciate reading your thoughts.

SGWGunsmith and Rifling82 like this.
  6. jdsingleshot

Here are some more pictures with a new butt stock, thanks to Old Ron's walnut blank. Even better wood-to metal fit this time--did NOT want to ruin this piece of wood! rem 6 overall bright 2.jpg rem 6 lengthwise.jpg rem 6 left fit perty.jpg rem 6 lower fit.jpg

crash11049, towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  7. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Really nice work there JD !
    How long did it take you ..... start to finish ?
    You going to do some checkering ?
    Have you ever made pistol grips ?
    You can be proud of that whole job !

towboater likes this.
  8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Awesome wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SGWGunsmith

That is a very nice lookin' piece of wood!

10. jdsingleshot

Ron, I'm going to think long and hard about checkering. The wood is hard enough to hold checkering well, but every cut would be an opportunity to ruin the stock. I have done one checkering job on a Mauser, and it turned out very well as a first effort, but that was 50 years ago. I did make and checker a set of grips for a Colt .25 auto a few years back.

I'm just guessing, but it took maybe 16-20 hours on the new butt stock???

Thanks all for looking.

OLD Ron likes this.
  11. OLD Ron

I can clean up checkering ok but a new job ..... looks like a cat got mad at a gun stock ! :p

crash11049, Oldoutlaw and towboater like this.
  12. jdsingleshot

I'm not content with the lines of the pistol grip. I has a little too much meat on the outsides of the center section. Got to build up my ambition to revisit that. In the meantime, here is something I spent a few days on just for fun. I have ordered clasps and am thinking about a handle... rem model 6 cherry case jcd.JPG

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    hiwall, OLD Ron and crash11049 like this.
  13. OLD Ron

What a great job there JD !
    You can be proud of the whole project there .

14. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Beautiful grain on the stock...

OLD Ron likes this.
  15. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

16. BillDeShivs

One of these days, I'll finish mine! mod6eng1.jpg

Rifling82 and PeeJay1313 like this.
  17. jdsingleshot

Now there's some work that is a lifetime beyond me. If I were an engraver, I would certainly embellish the frame on mine. That is beautiful!

18. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Well hop too Hop Sing !

19. BillDeShivs

I started this gun in 1989. It's about time I finished it. And, I doubt I'll have to put up with remarks about my "amateur" engraving. I just have a few tendinitis issues to get through first.
    Plans are to finish the engraving and silver plate the frame. Barrel will be rust blued. Not exactly sure about the small parts.
    This gun was given to my father by his uncle in about 1917. It was handed down to me a long time ago. When I was about 14 I discovered 600 grit autobody paper and ruined the finish on the gun.
    Thank you!

Rifling82 likes this.