Remington Model 6 rebuild

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by jdsingleshot, Dec 20, 2019.

1. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Active Member

I mentioned this in "What gun are you working on" but wanted to give it its own thread.

I bought a Remington model 6 bare receiver a while back. I made all the screws (single pointed them on my lathe), made a tap to thread the take-down screw hole, made all the flat springs, milled the barrel shank to fit the receiver, drilled the hole for the extractor shaft, milled the extractor relief, made the extractor, cut the new chamber, turned the barrel because it was not concentric with the bore at the muzzle, draw filed and polished the barrel (from a Remington model 514), recrowned the muzzle, cold blued the barrel and the receiver, made a buttstock and forearm. Also made the thumb piece, which I made in the shape of a trailer hitch ball. I saw one example of the type. It thumbs up and down very easily and I like it better than the knurled cylinder usually seen. Blue on the barrel is the best I have ever gotten with cold blue.

I am still working on the steel buttplate and have to add sights.

I ran out of good walnut when making the buttstock, so will keep my eye open for a decent piece (cheap, but not a gift).

The falling block locks up tight with good spring pressure. Trigger pull is pretty good, though of course not like an adjustable. rem 6 overall jcd.JPG rem 6 barrel machining jcd.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    crash11049, JTJ, OLD Ron and 3 others like this.
  2. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

Those are great little guns. You did a nice job of customizing it!

Rifling82 likes this.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

4. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one of those! But no forearm or screw for it. Buttstock needs to be replaced also.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  5. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

You said falling block, but meant rolling-block nict wahr?

hiwall likes this.
  6. jdsingleshot

Nope, it's a falling block. Very similar design to the Stevens Little Scout. But the L. Scout had coil springs and the Model 6 started out with three flat springs. The improved 6 got coils.

Can't find my skeleton view of the 6, but here is the similar Little Scout.

Attached Files:

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  7. freefall

Pretty sure the Little Scout is a rolling block.

8. BillDeShivs

No. The Model 6 and the Little scout are falling blocks. The Remington model 4 is a rolling block.

9. jdsingleshot

Here are some mediocre images of the tang sight I made. I made the base, upright, aperture piece, three screws and the threaded brass block that rides the rails of the upright. The rim of the aperture piece and the thumb screws that connect the base and upright are knurled. The edge of the steel butt plate is also visible in one shot, but it's very plain, 1 rem no. 6 jcd sight.jpg 1 rem no. 6 jcd sight 3.jpg 1 rem no.6 jcd sight rifgt.jpg so no separate image of it.

crash11049 and OLD Ron like this.
  10. BillDeShivs

Great work!
    You do know the Model 6 was not made with a pistol grip stock, don't you?

11. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Really nice work there !
    It shows you gots skill there ! :)

Rifling82 and SGWGunsmith like this.
  12. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

jd, you're doing a fine job in bringing that Remington "breech-loader" back to a shooting life.
    From what I've seen on many of those older .22 single shot rifles, many of the bores have rotted away rifling from the use of Lesmok ( half black powder and half smokeless powder ), from lack of cleaning, so how is the bore on your rifle? Hope it's in good shape and doesn't need a liner.
    That forearm wood has some really nice figure to it. The pistol grip addition looks very appropriate, good thinking.

OLD Ron likes this.
  13. jdsingleshot

Bill, this was not a restoration at all. It was a resuscitation and customization. It was along the lines of making a varmint rifle out of a Winchester high-wall, but on a budget.

SGW, I remachined the breech of a Remington 514 barrel to fit the Model 6 action. The bore is in like-new condition, though the 514 was a cheap rifle, so we'll just have to see about the accuracy.

14. SGWGunsmith

Can't see why that wouldn't contribute to your "resuscitation rifle" being a fine shooter. Your plan seems to be a good one and may just be "over the head of some". [​IMG]

15. SGWGunsmith

jd, your statement concerning the Remington Model 6 above is correct, and they are referred to as either a "falling block, or a dropping block", never a rolling block design. Even though it's not considered a 'legitimate' African rifle, by any wanna-be experts, it could probably kill a Dik-Dik when using a CCI Mini-Mag:

[​IMG]

While this schematic is of the Remington Model 6 Improved, the improvement pretty much involves a "coil" spring for the trigger & hammer, rather than simple made flat springs, for those parts and not much else.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  16. freefall

Bless your heart.

BillDeShivs likes this.
  17. jdsingleshot

Found my sectional view of the model 6 first version. Remington No. 6.jpg

hiwall and BillDeShivs like this.
  18. SGWGunsmith

I found my copy yesterday. My files are a bit sloppy and don't always get replaced back into my file cabinets like they should:
    [​IMG]
    As can be seen, both depictions show 3 flat springs used originally in the first version. These springs are extremely easy to replicate. Even rookies can make this type, if they use caution. :)

crash11049 likes this.
  19. jdsingleshot

The tang sight joint was not firm enough, so I made new parts. The joint is good now. Lower shot was the first at 25 yards. Top three were after adjusting the elevation. That's about as good as I can do with iron sights, so I'm pleased that the gun will deliver minute-of-squirrel accuracy. :) target.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020