Remington model 58 project

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by TINCANBANDIT, Sep 24, 2014.

  1. TINCANBANDIT

    TINCANBANDIT Member

    400
    25
    18
    So here I am with another shotgun project......

    I didn't go looking for this one, my Father-in-Law picked it up at a yard sale for $40 for me.

    anyway, here is what it looked like when he brought it to me:

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. Que

    Que Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

    32
    0
    0
    looks like a good basis for your fine work. be watching for updates.
     

  3. TINCANBANDIT

    TINCANBANDIT Member

    400
    25
    18
    Dis-assembly, the trigger group is removed just like any other Remington 870/1100, just push out the two pins.

    The stock had two holes, one for the bolt and the other for???

    [​IMG]


    In this picture you can see the action bar where it attaches to the piston (which is mounted in the front portion of the magazine, which is why the magazine only holds two rounds.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The trigger housing is aluminum and the finish looks horrible, since I have not tried anodizing yet and a polished housing would look good on this gun, I decided to strip and polish it

    [​IMG]

    OK now what? I guess I need to take this mess of parts and make a working trigger mechanism out of them

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  4. deg

    deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

    2,410
    135
    63
    Way to get in there - and $40 what a deal!!
     
  5. TINCANBANDIT

    TINCANBANDIT Member

    400
    25
    18
    While I was at it I polished some of the other parts

    [​IMG]

    I also polished the bearing surfaces of the hammer

    [​IMG]


    After much cursing, dis-assembly and reassembly I finally have a working trigger mechanism

    [​IMG]


    now on to the steel
     
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. TINCANBANDIT

    TINCANBANDIT Member

    400
    25
    18
    The next step was to remove the rust and old bluing using naval jelly

    [​IMG]

    I then remove the remaining bluing along with the acid "etching" with the wire wheel on my grinder

    [​IMG]

    Then we start removing the pits, starting with 120 grit emory cloth, then moving to 220 grit sand paper

    [​IMG]

    I kept moving up on the grit until I got to 2000 grit (wet/dry) sand paper, the metal is almost ready for bluing


    [​IMG]

    I then went to work on the barrel, there was a large rust pit on the magazine ring, I used a file to get it smooth again

    [​IMG]

    then I sanded the barrel to 600 grit and used the buffer to make it shine, the black stuff on the metal is buffing compound


    [​IMG]
     
  7. deg

    deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

    2,410
    135
    63
    Well don't stop now - this ain't no rest home, there's work to be done!
     
  8. TINCANBANDIT

    TINCANBANDIT Member

    400
    25
    18
  9. TINCANBANDIT

    TINCANBANDIT Member

    400
    25
    18
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  10. deg

    deg Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

    2,410
    135
    63
    Well done.
     
  11. TheOldMan

    TheOldMan New Member

    1,014
    0
    0
    Very Nice work TinCan.... ! I especially like the Nitre blue and jewel work you did to the bolt.