remington model 12?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by zeke73, Feb 25, 2012.

1. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

Okey first I had to replace the extractor, ecxtractor spring and plunger and fireing pin (flat style) and all had to be filed alittle to fit or work properly or I think it is. It cycle's live rounds fine but when I shoot (rem balk 22 which I will never buy again miss fire's in every 22 I own) the case gets stuck in the chamber. Cleaned very well like I said live rounds just slide in and out. So the question is, What round should I shoot in this old of a gun? Or is this not the problem? Thanks for any info I looked at this gun not working since I was 5 and now 44 and am kind of proud I have it shooting again but want it cycleing while shooting then I will be done with it with a smile.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sounds like it might have a bad chamber. You could still maybe get by shooting a weak load like CB's. Otherwise you would have to have a liner put in the barrel(over $100). Not that uncommon for an old rifle like yours.

3. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

i just finished rebulding a 500a check the chamber for burs .midwayusa has a good video on deburing rim fires to give you an idea what your doing

4. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

Thanks for your reply's! I hope it's the lesser of the 2. And that is a good video from midway I just ordered the menck chamber ironing tool they had on the video it's worth a try and if that don't work when I get my lathe I might try to re-sleeve it Midway had a video on that to and don't look that bad to do.

5. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

on mine i just used a dremmel and carefully polished out the burr

6. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

I thought for 24 bucks then I got the right tool and i don't have a chance of takeing to much off. It will probly be another tool I will use once but I will have it if another one does come's up.

7. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

hope for a few more jobs. or let it be known you have it and rent it out.(with a 25.00 deposit)

8. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

Another good point! Forgot about that kind of stuff, use to rent specially tool's from a cycle dealer when I was starting out raceing dirttrack. Didn't think people did that anymore, but I would to bring back the old day's of trust in people.

9. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

fun is fun but you need to recover your expense the 12a i did had about 300 invested in it. turned it for 450 my time worked out to about 5 an hr but i learned a bunch(why the heii dosnt this mag tube want to go back in). where in wis are you used to live in lake co il grew up partying in lake geniva

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If the ironing tool does not work a low cost solution might be to just sleeve the chamber. That way you don't have to buy the barrel liner or the special liner drill.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I had one a few months ago with the same problem. With block in battery (unloaded), do you have to push the lever underneath to work the slide? If not, then the block is not going to battery completely.

The problem was that the trigger mechanism was not thinking the block was in battery, but close enough to allow the hammer to work. Had to work on all parts to get it to work correctly. (Worn trigger assembly to new block.)

The dog was not allowing the hammer to go full stroke and gave light hits on the .22 rim.

12. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

Tonydewar this is a personal fix not looking to make money on it just the knowledge of being able to do it. Just starting to get more into fixing working on guns not just cleaning and normal up keep. I'm not central but close just south west of Lake Winnabago (the big lake).

hiwall that would be something to consider depending on how my skills come along.

danf_fl yes I do have to push the lever to work the slide and the fireing pin definetly isn't hitting light. I am worry'd maybe even hitting a little hard.

13. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

all my projects are personal.a few i fall in love with and keep(sported 98 mauser, ruger 10-22 built to the max sporting stock no rambo crap but 1 in at 100 yds) but most i turn to start a new one.currant an english ss with realy pitted bores(damn black powder) and 2.5 in chambers still doing resurch on it. the whole thing is have fun, learn and shoot a bunch!!! and if you break even or make a few $$$ life is good.