Remington gun club shotshells

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hockeyjr1, Mar 9, 2014.

1. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Hey guys I recently got given 150 rds of gun club shells that are rusted from hurricane sandy.. My brother in law doesn't reload and figured I could take the shot for new rounds..

Now when I started taking them apart I started to think about the powder.. Can this be saved?

As of now the primers have seen better days but don't appear to be rusted or ruined.. I would much rather use the new fed 209a I have but I know I can't just swap them out..

I weighed 5 rds and got an average of 15.5 grains.. Now the real thing I'm trying to find out is what type of powder does Remington use in these rounds? I know they have the sts primers and that they are way lower in pressure and temp compared to the fed 209a..

What are your opinions? Use the primers and powder in new hulls? Powder with new primers at a lesser charge? Of just save the shot and wads and go from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Shoot them if they dont go off you can save the shot, Remington probably won't tell you what kind of powder they use.

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies

3. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Shooting them as they stand now is impossible, to much rust and 1200 buck shotgun don't mix lol.. U mean reload them with the same primer and load in another shell? Ill put some pics up later to show what shape they are in..

4. SRK97

I would just take the shot then, if you wanted to go through thw hassle

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally, i'd save the shot and ditch the rest. trying to unseat a primer is dicey at best without having it go off. not a good idea IMO. without knowing the exact powder and how they determined it for that load could be just as dicey. just my thoughts. just too many variables that trying to duplicate that load in another shell case, could have bad results.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

+1 on shot salvage. Dump the powder on the lawn. It is high in nitrogen and a good fertilizer. Remington likely uses a custom formulation with no commercial canister equivalent

7. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1394413654.333367.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1394413719.762785.jpg

Here's what they look like.. Think ill just save the shot and wads.. Really don't know if the primers will even work..

You can pop them out rather easily.. Just go slow and wear glasses.. I did it to 50 others before but they and no rust around them..

Anyone got tricks to cutting these open faster? Going so slow with a knife..

8. SRK97

You could just uncrimp them with a flat head screwdriver and then use neetle nose pliers to pull wad out if you wanted to save it.

9. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

150 rnds of target loads...? Are we talking about $38 worth of ammo here..? Dont take any chances.