Remington Disintegrator Buckshot

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 2ndAmendmentFreedom, Apr 26, 2012.

1. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Hey all,
    When I bought a box of 25 Disintegrator 12 Gauge 00, I completely overlooked the fact that they were lead free and I'm a bit worried about what they could do to my barrel (and cylinder choke). I can't find any information on the metal used, I hope they're not steelshots. Part of me tells me that since it's reduced recoil and frangible it should be safe, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I know that Remington sells reduced recoil lead buckshot and that's what I thought I was buying until I saw the box in person.
    http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Ammunition/Shotgun/Disintegrator-shotgun.aspx

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I can tell 1 it isn't steel. Maybe copper?and I doubt it will damage anything.

3. Retaks

Retaks New Member

I tryed some disintigrator buckshot a friend had before. I dont know what brand they were but they were trying them out for the local pd. They were told the shot was made of powdered buitsmith(sp?) and its packed very tightly in a press.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They use powdered lead for breaching. Takes the hinges and or knob off without any chance of bounce back.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Powdered iron (sintered) that has been copper plated.

FWIW, there has been at least one case where a LEO in training had a first-shot blown barrel using those. Forensic investigation found that pellets had fused together in barrel, obstructing barrel. Believe problem was limited to one particular lot number.

In doubt, give Remington Customer Service a shout thru their website.

6. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Wow that sounds reaaaally bad! Oh well if my Remington shotgun breaks shooting low recoil Remington ammo they'd probably be helpful!

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

This isa C&P of accident investigation

Initial report from Colonial National Historical Park

On 11/4/2008 during semi-annual firearms qualifications at the US Coast Guard Training Center range, Ranger Ken Doak was injured when his NPS issued Remington 870 shotgun barrel exploded during the qualification. Ranger Doak received a laceration to his left hand which was on the wood forearm of the pump action shotgun. The qualification course for shotguns had just started, Ranger Doak had attempted to fire his first round when the barrel exploded. The firing line was immediately made safe and all weapons checked and made safe. Rangers provided medical care to Ranger Doak for the laceration. Ranger Doak's weapon had been functioned check by

Ranger Officer Tillson prior to the qualifications, including a check of the barrel for an obstructions. The park was using Remington Disintegrator OO Buckshot, 2 3/4 inch length purchased from the FLETC approved list for Lead Free Frangible. The US Coast Guard Range Officer was contacted and responded to the scene. The Range Officer was also an armorer and inspected the barrel of the weapon along with Firearms Instructors Larry Smith and Tom Nash. This inspection revealed the OO buckshot pellets appeared to be fused together in the barrel, which created an obstruction in the barrel. The obstruction was just forward of the ejection port in the barrel. As a result the gases and pressure expanded in the barrel caused the barrel to explode. The target had a small tear in the target, where apparently the front plastic covering of the shell hit the target. The tear was not from the wadding in the shell. Ranger Doak received medical care for his injury, several stitches to close the wound. Follow-up investigation will be coordinated with FLETC to determine cause. Remington shotguns were purchased in 1991.

Jill R. Kinney

Firearms Program Manager / Armorer

National Park Service

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  8. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Yikes. That could have been a lot worse than it was. And the rounds sound like they will be a good home defense round where over penetration is an issue.

9. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

i dont understand "fused together in the barrel" (This inspection revealed the OO buckshot pellets appeared to be fused together in the barrel, which created an obstruction in the barrel. The obstruction was just forward of the ejection port in the barrel.)

must have been from a PREVIOUSLY fired squib load, therefore negligence on prefire inspection

otherwise, an explosion great enough to blow the barrel would expelled the bucksot whether fused together or not