Remington Corelockt Ammo

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by chloeshooter, Sep 16, 2012.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter Active Member

I just floated my Remington 700 ADL barrel, and I am very happy with the improvement in the 3- shot grouping. (pics are from 100 and 200 yards, both aimed at center bullseye and the ones closer are obviously from 100) The barrel in oak, and I sanded the contact points forward of the receiver, so the "dollar bill" test works well.

I know I need to sight a tad higher at 100, and I'm not totally disappointed by the grouping at 200 but wow, do these ever drop. They are Remington Corelockt 150 grain. Wind was negligible and the shot was from a concrete bench with sandbags. The optics are Nikon Buckmaster 3/9 x 40, a decent scope to be sure with a Leopold mount. So here is my question: what factory load under $40/ box of 20 will perform better at the range and also in the field? I know both patterns = dead deer BUT I want to hedge my bet. (and yes, I know I can always shoot better!)

Attached Files:

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

What caliber is your rifle???

The 200 yard POI with 100 yard zero will be determined by velocity and the bullet's ballistic coefficient.

A .30-06 with 150 grain Core-Lokts will not drop half that much. A .30-30 will drop that much or more.

3. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

with Hornady Custom(TM) 140gr BTSP (boat-tail soft points), my .270 is "suggested" to be sighted @ 1.6-inches high @ 100yds in order to zero out @ 200 yds. @ 300 yds the drop is 6.9-inches.

are you shootin a .30-30 or .35? you have near 5-inches of drop between 100 and 200 yds. (or didju shoot for the lower left target on your bottom pic?)

4. chloeshooter

are you shootin a .30-30 or .35? you have near 5-inches of drop between 100 and 200 yds. (or didju shoot for the lower left target on your bottom pic?

Shooting 30-06 and yes I was shooting at the center target at 200 yds :(

5. locutus

My best guess is that you got ammo from a bad lot, or ammo that had been improperly stored in a hot warehouse for several years. Remington Core-Lokt is normally excellent ammo. I've taken several animals with it.

I'd write (or e-mail) Remington with your photos and see if they will replace that particular ammo. There definitely shouldn't be that much drop with 150 gr .30-06.

6. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

the .30-06 is actually the parent to the .270 (it was originally the .30-03, but with a reduced projectile)..........with that being said, the performance is almost identical @ yard, except for the bullet weights.

if the 5-inches of drop happens again, move back to 100 yds, and try to shoot another 3-shot group and see what happens/happened. if everything is okay, try 150 yds and go from there.

i just don't believe there would be a 5-inch drop between 100 and 200 yds from an -06.

cuz in all theory, that means that you would have to sight in you rifle @ 5-inches high @ 100 yds, just to be on @ 200 yds. somethin not jive n...........

7. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

first i would ask if there has been a recall on the lot you have......the number is stamped on the box flap end, inside IIRC.

8. chloeshooter

The only thing that makes sense to me is the 200 yard bench was lower than 100, and I did have a hard time getting my eye positioned with respect to the scope.....the fact that they all grouped low makes me think it was operator error?

Either way, still looking for ammo recommendations

9. locutus

Agreed! 1 to 1 1/2 inches would be closer.

I sight my .30-06 in dead on at 100 yards, with 150 Speers and have no trouble with 300 yard shots with a little holdover.

You can try Winchester or Federal 150 spitzers if you like. Somehow, the 200 yard group just doesn't look like operator error to me. Operator error would be a much larger group, not excessive drop.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  10. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Core-Lokts are good bullets for the price. I've taken many deer with them. Set your scope 2" high at 100 and you'l' feel much better about them.

If you want a slight improvement in trajectory you'll probably have to go with high performance Hornadys (what ever they are calling them now), but I would stick with the core-lokts. All bullets drop you're just aware of how much which is more than most people can say. And wait until you try a few at 300yards. They start falling like rocks after that :D

I love guns and I have a couple because of that, but as a hunter I believe a hunter should use one gun and that's it. When you shoot only one gun you get really really good with that gun, and you learn how that gun shoots. Most people rarely shoot much past 100 yards unless they are hunting. Shoot at enough deer with the same gun and you eventually reach a point where you know where to hold over at different distances. Every person that shoots whatever caliber you're shooting (I'm guessing .308) is getting that same amount of drop with the rifle zeroed at 100 yards using almost any 150 gr. Again, you now know what it's doing.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Remington Corelokt .30-06 at 2700fps MV drops 4.4" at 200 yards w/ a 100 yard zero. That is about the result you have. A 150gr does no justice to the .30-06. You might be happier w/ 180gr. If you really want to shoot 150gr, try a 150 yard zero for 100 and 200 yard shots. +1" at 100, -2.6" at 200.

12. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

even tho the bench was lower, you should've been alot closer. the bench just made it uncomfortable for you, and didn't make you shoot as good as you could have.

your particular scope is 1/4"@100yds correct? so @ 200 yds, by examinin your 100 yd target, you should've been off by approximately 2-inches (+/- 1/4" - 3/4") to the left of center. up and down, you should've been no more than 2.5 - 3-inches low.

now that i think about it, @ 200 yds, the parallax from your scope coupled with the awkward table height (cheek weld, shoulder mount, etc, etc), MIGHT have played a role in your shot placements. HOWEVER, your shots were ON @ 100 with the same table height.....YES?

13. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Amazing what you can miss in just a few minutes.

You're ammo is good. The charts you see from the ballistics manufactures are based on 24" or 26" barrels to get get extra velocity, and the point of zero at 100 yards is almost always above 1". That makes their bullets look better on paper.

And just to knit-pick here; I believe the parent cartridge of a .270 is actually the 30-03 which is also the parent cartridge of the 30-06?

14. jpattersonnh

A little hold over?? Like at the top of the back? At 2700fps, which is pretty slow, there is a 16" drop at 300 yards. CoreLokt is cheap ammo. With Premium ammo running at +-2900fps there is a 13" drop at 300 yards. 3.6" at 200 yards.

15. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would go with a 200 yard zero, which would be like 1.7 high at 100 yards. If deer hunting with it, it won't be too high at 100. Also, don't try to shoot a game animal at any range that you haven't practiced at, and are confident you'll be able to make a sure shot at.

16. chloeshooter

The table height WAS NOT the same; this particular facility has different sheds for 50, 100 and 200 yds. and I was slouched over a little more.

17. jpattersonnh

Believing that Remington actually loads to 2900fsp, what you say is plausible. In actuality, they inflate the MV. I would put money on the fact that the shooter is either a lefty, or anticipating recoil, both of which will magnify the drift he is experiencing. Your statement of parallax, table height are Way off. I'm not sure how 1/4" adjustments effect the shot, I'm thinking you need a bit more experience actually shooting and here is a ballistics calculator to tell you what will happen in certain cases. http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Knit pick!!! The .30-06 was derived from the round nosed .30-03. But when it became the .30-06 (Jacketed Spitzer) and the .30-03 disappeared, the .270 was based on the -06. BTW both the -03 and -06 are children of the 8x57.

18. chloeshooter

Not a lefty here, a new-er shooter is correct. Also these were shots 13-15 for the day with no recoil pad, so my shoulder was starting to take a bit of a beating and anticipated recoil is a maybe. Only question is, how could my "flinch" be so consistent and group do well? I'll set to 1.5 high at 100 then hit the 200 yard range earlier next week- thanks for the comments

19. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

Parallax is...
    When the image of the target, and the reticle, are not in EXACTLY the same plane, and by moving the eye up and down... or side to side, either the target OR the reticle appears to move in relation to the other.

You might see the target move and the reticle stay still, or you might see the target stay still and the reticle move over it... both are exactly the same, and which you see, is only a matter of your OWN perception.

It is NOT possible to have parallax while moving up and down, but not have it when you are moving side to side.

If you think that is what you have, you have other problems... either you are moving the rifle, or you have eye problems.

the reason i mention parallax and table height/cheek weld/shoulder hold is because if he had his scope on 9x, and he was looking "thru the top" of his scope, "down on the target" OR "thru the bottom" of his scope, "up on the target" then he could be experiencin parallax. IT REALLY DEPENDS ON THE SCOPE, AND THE QUALITY OF GLASS IN THE SCOPE. it's a Nikon, and is has some. i know, i have 3 Nikon's.

as for 1/4-inch increments........yeah, that was a brain fart. lol but, if you are missin a target by 1-inch @ 100 yds, then THEORETICALLY, you will miss your target by 2-inches @ 200 yds. the 1/4-inch thought was to adjust your windage 4 times to the bullet strike (right). he had 1 flyer (if you wanna call it that) in his 100 yd 3-shot group, which was about an inch outta center. but his 200 yd shots were 4 1/2 - 5-inches outta center.

either parallax, cheek weld, shoulder hold, or shoulder hurtin. :D MOST PROBABLY A COMBINATION OF THE FEW.......

20. jpattersonnh

When you shoot a rifle, it is in many ways similar to shooting a traditional bow. With a bow it is called a kissing point. It is the same place your knuckle touches your face every time. With a rifle, it is the same principal. If you move forwards, back, up, down, it will effect your accuracy.

Parallax is the most finite focal point of a scope. Most scopes are set for 100 yards. If your eye is positioned in the primary axis of a scope, Parallax does not exist. Your target has to be on the same focal plane, weather aiming up, down or level w/ a firearm to make consistent hits in the same place. Parallax happens when the eye is not aligned w/ the finite focal point or center of the scope. If the scope is out of the parameters of eye relief this will compound the issue and usually lead to bad groups. When you see a black ring on the edges, you have serious issues.