Remington Core-Lok HANDLOADS!!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sureshot43, Aug 31, 2008.

1. sureshot43

sureshot43 New Member

I am just starting to learn how to handload. My buddy who is showing me loads for the 270 Win.(among others). I love my 270,and have always had good results with Remington Core-loks in130 gr.. Since they are the most inexpesive bullets out there,and I like the "on-game"results, That is where we started. I was looking to duplicate factory performance at a cheaper price. I bought new brass(even though I have plenty of once-fired), taylored the OAL to my gun,and went to working up loads with H4831sc. Being new to this, I was surprised at the starting loads lack of recoil(less than My243). We tested a couple of loads that were just a tad above max,but accuracy fell off(nothing bad showing on the primers though),and since I had had enough fun for one day(actually two),I settled on the load that gave the best accuracy(2 grains under max). The part that I cant believe,is the tight group I got. With factory ammo, i would get consistant 3/4" groups. With these handloads, It is less than 1/2". I know that 1/4 of an inch at 100 yds won't make a bit of difference to the deer(My shots are generally less than 200 yds), but not only are the groups tighter,they are more uniformed in shape.
    Has anyone else been as pleasantly surprised with their results as I am? I know I am not using a premium bullet,but I do believe "if it ain't broke...",and maybe down the road I will try some, but for now I am sticking with what I got.
    Next on the agenda will be my 44 revolver ammo. That's getting way outta hand. Then My 7mm mag. Thanks for letting me vent some of my excitement.

2. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

In a word, yes. Core-Lokts are really good accurate bullets; effective on game too. A few weeks ago i loaded some FC .30-06 cases with 180 grain C/L bullets and 57 grains of IMR 4831 and a CCI primer. That load shoots a consistent .5 moa at 100 yards.

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Absolutely - in every caliber too. I think I bought a few hundred rounds of factory ammo in 10 years, and that was only to build up a supply of brass for a new caliber I bought while I waited for the dies I ordered. I've had a lot of success with the 30-30, .303, .223, 6.5 x 55, .308, and .40. Once you find the right load, it's always gonna be more accurate than factory ammo because you're tailoring it to your particular gun. PArt of the fun is testing all the loads. I used to have a range in my backyard, which really speeded up the process. Now I have to drive 5 miles. Good luck and happy shooting.

4. 1hole

1hole New Member

I've only used a few Remington bullets, from .224 to .358 dia, over the years but have always been VERY pleased with both accuracy and terminal performance on game.

I think Remmy components are the "sleepers" in reloading supplies and wish more people would wake up to them; that should make them easier to find!

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

A lot of people frown on Remingtons bulk packaging (plastic bag) of bullets. I've used them for years and short of bench rest shooting, see no problem with bulk packaging. Hell, Sierra bullets are packed loose in a box, what the hell is the difference?

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have shot only a few core lock bullets and they are accurate for a hunting bullet.

I think I might have to order some from my 06 for deer season.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Remington factory ammo has, IMHO, lagged behind the others in the accuracy and innovation categories. Remington components are high quality and work well. Every gun will show distinct preferences for ammo. This does not mean that Federal is better than Winchester is better than Remington. They are just different.

Velocity, powder choice, powder charge (weight), bullet, manufacturer, weight, design, seating depth (OAL), bullet hold (amount of crimp),primer, case, chamber dimensions, free bore, barrel quality, bedding, etc, etc all have something to do with the accuracy of a shot (or rather a group of shots). Consistance is one of the keys. As long as every shot hits in the same place, every time life is good. If each shot hits exactly 1" low at 100 yards, you simply adjust the sights/scope to that spot.

Handloading allows you to take a mass produced item and duplicate it removing as many of the variables out as you care to and creating a superior product for your application.

8. JPBeck

JPBeck New Member

Core-Loct pointed soft point 165 grain, Lapua Brass, 45.8 grains of Varget, and Federal 210M primers-- .50 MOA out of my VSF 700 @ 100 yards, prone using my pack for support.

Thought I could get better out of them-- but I just couldn't. I use them in my G3 now. I bought 1000 for $150 shipped.

BTW when I buy 175 SMK's in bulk (500) they come in a plastic bag-- so don't let the loose bullets scare you.

9. seedy

seedy Member

I have used H4831 with Sierra 130gr bts and have had excellent success. Its a powder that matches up very well in the 270WIN. Give credit where credit is due.:)

10. sureshot43

sureshot43 New Member

Remmys

As far as the loose bag, I had a total of 3 damaged bullets. I set those aside to use as de-fowling shots.

11. sureshot43

sureshot43 New Member

BTW, I can't wait to try the Ultra-bondeds in my 7 Mag and 243.

12. J3ff3r50n

J3ff3r50n New Member

Reloading Managed recoil .270/115

Howdy Ya'll,
    First I will say please fogive me for my ignorance. With that out of the way, I noticed someone wrote about reloading for a .270. I am a first time reloader and although I have done lots of research I still have the first time jitters. But could someone tell me about reloading a managed recoil. I dissassembled one to see what made it what it was. Speculating from, Modern reloading 2nd Edition (Richard Lee), the closest I can get to the recipe is a, 100 gr. jacketed bullet/30.5 grains of SR4759 (which is intended also for pistol and shot-gun) but is listed under .270 Win./for a FPS of 2720.
    The bullet of the Rem. 115 mang. recoil is of course 115 gr./the powder is about 33.567 grains/and the FPS is 2710. From reading a description of the SR4759 it sounds about like what the "powder" more less tiny solid cylinders if you ask me look like in the 115 grain managed recoil for Remington .270. However in my research I seen where it is commonly used in Managed Recoil. It also seems that when I add the 3 extra grains to the recipe it will compensate for the additional 5 grains in the bullet. And lastly the 6.8mm has a .277 diameter, can I use this as my 115 grain bullet for my .270 rounds seeing it is the same diameter? Any suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated, God Bless.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have used them in my 30-06 hunting rifle and they shoot crazy good I think. We are talking 1/2 to 3/4" 5 shot at 100 yards for a hunting rifle. WOW.

14. 1hole

1hole New Member

I've been told by an ex-Remington engineer that the company doesn't provide freebies to magazine writers as others do. Therefore Remington components rarely get mention in the press. Therefore, since many of us follow the writers, Remington components get ignored a lot. Except for those of us who know better.

In my opinion, Core-Lokts are as good or better performers as many so called "premium" bullets and cost MUCH less!

No brand of bullet shoots best with any rifle but I fequently start with Rem, IF I can find them, and quite often stop there too. Thank God for MidwayUSA!

15. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I am a student of terminal ballistics and an ex big game guide. I have had good hunting accuracy with Remington core-loct bullets but have had poor hunting luck with their never bullets (post 1970). In the earlier years the core-loct was the best non pemium bullets on the market. They had a heavy mid section and tapered jacket. After @ 1970 many failures started being reported and Remington admited they no longer had the old design and was simply building just the common cup and core bullets of early 1900's. I have had and seen a few failure but havent had many clients use them. This year I had a core-lokt failure on a mid sized mule deer buck shot at 200 yards with a 270 Win. and using 130 grain bullets. The bullet only penatrated 4" before it desentagrated.

16. J3ff3r50n

J3ff3r50n New Member

Although Inexperienced....

Although I was raised on a single shot 12 gauge Iver Johnson (older than television), I have become very fond of my 2 year old Savage 111 .270. I bought it in 2007, took it hunting and the man said, "It's ready to hunt right out of the box," HA- HA, although I was pretty inexperienced in the .270 or any other rifle, I had shot a few. So I took the following year, after missing a nice 10-12 pointer, just getting use to the rifle and sighting it in for myself. So I hunted with my Winchester 1300 pump W/double 00 Buck and took to feeling out this, on the most part new, light, and kicked pretty good rifle. Once I sighted it in I realized, (and maybe it's just the way I shoot) it was about 4" low and 3" to the left. I also learned that I am more compatible with shooting the 270, 115 gr. managed recoil corelok by remington, with a synthetic stock. So after a year of practice and adjusting I got me a 7 pointer, doube lung shot at 105 yds. at the close of last season. Great feeling. I could move up to the 130 or even 150 grain corelok, but with a synthetic stock and not shooting more than 183 yards where I am hunting now, I am happy with the 115 grain. Hats off to Remington on their managed recoil corelok ssp. I like the way their bullets are seated uniformly compared to other brands also. And by the way guys and gals, that big buck I missed the next day after I bought the rifle, I knocked a piece of hide off right beneath his chest plate and he didn't bleed but one drop where I grazed him. But he won't be that lucky next year!:D And by the way I always heard a bullet comes out bigger than it goes in, not on this 7 pointer. The entrance hole where it hit him in the rib was just as big as where it came out on the other side. About an inch in diameter. Happy hunting to all in the 2009-2010 season.

Last edited: May 12, 2009