remington coping benelli?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by DavidTurley, Mar 15, 2010.

1. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

Am I the only one that feels the 887nitro mag is remington trying to build a shotgun more like benelli I know underfire doesnt think so but he is a remington fan so I wouldnt expect him to admit it what does everyone else think?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Doesn't look that way to me.

The Nova has a polymer receiver the 887 is an upgraded version of the 870 that is coated in some sort of a rubber compound.

Why don't you give some reasons that you feel this way. Instead of just trying to start a interwebs fight.

3. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

upgraded version of the 870? Please dont put my 870 in the same catorgy as that piece of crap. And Im not trying to start a fight Its just my opion that the 887 nitro mag is remington trying to make there newest shotgun like benelli. But I take it you have not had much experince with the 887 if youre calling it a upgraded version of the 870 if I was comparing the 870 vs the 887 nitro mag I would have to say 870 all the way I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. And as far as giving some reasons have you ever seen both guns side by side. Hell I was reading one magizne a while back talking about the 887 and one coment they made was benelli needs to check and see if they got some novas missing. But like I said thats just my opion dont trying to turn it into more than that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Yes I have seen them side by side.

I am not going to get in a fight with you as that is exactly what you are wanting.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

David Turley, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, however it would be beneficial to your argument to back it up with facts.

6. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

And thats all I was doing is giving my opion and was just wondering what everybody else thinks now Im being acused of starting a fight

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I don't think Remington is trying to copy the Benelli because the interior design is still vastly different. Remington is simply attempting to market a shotgun that needs 0 maintenance in regards to rust prevention. That should go over big with the waterfowling guys. Having said that I don't see myself owning either. The only pump shotguns I have are Browning BPS and 1 870 set up for home defense.

8. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

ive heard alot of good things about brownig shotguns never got to use one myself what kinda price range are we talking for a new one

9. stalkingbear

I think the 12ga or 20ga versions are going for about 400$ now for the BPS. It's been awhile since I bought 1 so I could easily be off.

10. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

Do those eject the spent shells out the bottom of the gun I thought I heard something that wasent sure if it was the bps or not

11. stalkingbear

Yeah the BPS feeds and ejects from the bottom, quite similar to the old Ithica model 37.

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I do think Remington copied Benelli on this gun. No reason to let them reel in all the people who want an ugly gun without a contest.

13. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Ever since you and Underfire started this I have been looking at the 887 and comparing it to the Benelli Nova. The only similarities that I can see is that they are both shotguns and they are both are pump models. The forearms are slightly similar but other than that the receiver designs and materials are completely different, the vent ribs are different, etc.

It appears to me that these shotguns are only similar in the ways that pump shotguns have to be similar. Other than that they're pretty different.

IMO, I side with Tango on this. It does look like you started this thread to pick a fight with Underfire. You made a statement followed with it being your opinion, threw Underfire out there in the first post and then offered no reasoning behind why you feel Remington is copying Benelli. This has you picking a fight with Underfire all over it.

14. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

A comment like this in your Op and you're not trying to start a fight, huh? :rolleyes: You're going to make a lot of friends here. :rolleyes:

Back on topic...
    I noticed you didn't include any facts in your comparison, only personal opinion. You being a Nova fanboy I wouldn't expect you to.

The 887 Nitro is a modernized 870- same platform. So in order to compare the Nova to the 887 Nitro we have to compare the Nova to the 870 platform.

1. Nova's trigger group design is the same as the 870's. The slide release is in the same general location just on the opposite side as a 870.
    2. The safety design ( Cross-Bolt) same as a 870. The safety is also in the general location as a 870. Instead of the safety button at the rear of the trigger guard (870) it's on the front (Nova).
    3. Nova's detached trigger assy. group; consisting of hammer, trigger, disconnector, action release lever, steel shell carrier contained in one piece is the same design as a 870's.
    4. Nova's rotating bolt head with two locking lugs that engage locking recesses in the steel barrel extensions- basically a locking bolt.
    Locking the bolt to the barrel extension is a common design in modern shotguns THANKS TO THE REMINGTON 870
    5. Nova's barrel removes the same as a 870. Break-down very similar to the 870.
    6. Nova's fore-end has a similar design to the 870 including the fingering channel.
    7. Nova has a barrel rib like the 870.
    8. Nova has side ejection port like the 870.
    9. Nova loads from the bottom like the 870.
    10. Nova's stock design resembles an 870.
    11. Nova has removable "screw-in" choke tubes like the 870.

Now for Nova's "superior" differences
    1. The Red Log front sight
    2. Grooves instead of checkering
    3. Tool molded on the end of the magazine cap designed to push pins
    through the receiver making trigger assy. removal easier.
    4. Button in the middle of the Fore-End that when used retains the shells in the magazine tube as the action is opened. Basically a magazine cut-off that Browning has had for many years.
    5. Modern look making it cosmetically appealing.
    6. One piece stock & receiver- which is a mistake in my opinion because you can't change out the stock if it gets damaged OR if you decide to have a collapsible stock.

For the above reasons is why Remington is not making the 887 Nitro like the Nova. Actually the Nova (like the 887 Nitro) is just a modernized 870.
    So who's copying who?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  15. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Remington states the 887 is based on the 870. This is straight from their site. Remington 887 Shotgun

Why do you make false statements then when someone calls you on it you recite it's your opinion. With that logic I could say John Denver was the best death metal artist there was....in my opinion

I'm not really the type to pick a fight, but someone has to call you on this.

EDIT: Little tid bit of info.

The 870 was designed in 1951 and Benelli was created in 1967. I just saw Underfire posted at the same time I did and he pointed that out.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  16. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

yeah dude you heard it right here...

17. DavidTurley

DavidTurley New Member

I couldnt rember where I heard it I do alot of reading on the subject of firearms. I sent you a pm now Im putting it here for everybody to read. It was wrong of me to put you in my op like that I apoligze.

18. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Let me start this off by saying I haven't fired an 887. I held one recently. That thing is light! Very light! I'm an avid duck hunter, and feel like the weight of that gun, along with some of the "heavier" 3.5" loads, could leave the shooter in some pain. For squirrel or rabbit, using 2 3/4" loads, this could be a nice field gun. Just my opinion.