Remington Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by JTJ, Sep 28, 2020.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What rifles would Ruger keep and would they put the 39 into production? I think the levers are the mainstay and would be kept and pushed. The rest would be competition. If H&R is included would they bring back the single shots?

BullMoose429 likes this.

2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

The Bankruptcy Court approved the sale today...:):):).. Heres Ruger's statement..
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/rugers-statement-on-the-acquisition-of-marlin-firearms/
    Would be cool if they sell matching sets.. a Model 1894 and a Vaquero...:). Im just glad Marlin got rescued by such an awesome American company.. Ruger will bring back QC and customer service.. Its like 2 of my best friends getting married...lol. Will probably take them a while to get things into production...but put me first in line to buy a "Ruglin".. I just hope they dont drop the Model 60..since it competes with their 10-22.. Like many of you...the Model 60 was my first gun..that was "mine".. Dad bought it for me when i was 12yrs old, and we had some of the best Father/Daughter times with that gun...One of my "never for sale" at any price guns...

godale, locutus, partdeux and 5 others like this.
  3. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Very good news!.... I’ve got two model 60’s, fun guns! ;)

rn-cindy likes this.
  4. JTJ

The matched set is a great idea. Tell it to the CEO. I have an 1894CS and a Blackhawk in 357.

rn-cindy and Rifling82 like this.
  5. rn-cindy

That a nice match... I have a few Marlin levers.. the 1894CB being one of my favorites. and a Model 30TK that is kinda hard to find now, but the 1894LE in 45LC is a perfect match for my Vaquero. They could put up some limited edition sets..with matching engraved furniture..or other engravings..i bet would be a big hit...

G66enigma, Rifling82 and JTJ like this.
  6. JTJ

There is a used 1897 Texan (39A) 22lr with octagon barrel at an lgs that would match up with my Single Six but they are asking $650. I am considering it since it will not go down in value.

rn-cindy likes this.
  7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

What all of this probably means is that some group of investors came in to Remington some time back, squeezed it like a lemon for quick profits and is now disposing of the carcass.

donthav1 likes this.
  8. rn-cindy

Yea..like fast Eddie Lampert is doing with Sears.. Leveraged it for all it was worth.. scraped off the cash..Then sold off it's brand names like..Craftsman, Die hard, Kenmore, etc.. now is personally buying up the real estate at fire sale prices..

donthav1 and Rifling82 like this.
  9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Chain
    You are probably right on the investors!. If you remember Smith and Wesson went through that for several cycles of different investor groups, before now. Today they seem to have things going well for them.
    I was glad to hear Ruger got Marlin vs. some fly by night investors who have no knowledge of the industry. Maybe they can improve them a little. Since in later years the stocks have been made from lesser quality wood and finish. Not that they are terrible now.
    Also I was glad VISTA got Remington Ammunition. VIST is the commercial division of ATK. A friend of mine is in charge of their ammunition plant (Federal Ammunition) in Idaho. And over all Law Enforcement and Government ammunition contracts.
    As far as Franklin Arsenal and Bushmaster not a bad deal either IMO.
    But I am out to lunch on the DPMS & H&R deal. Investors again!

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Cindy
    You are right about the Sears Craftsman Brand and especially the tools. They had been going down hill for sure!
    Sears in the past years did such a terrible job when it came to their tools. I used them for my schools and they were always out of stock. Good news is, Lowes is now handling the Craftsman Tools and always seem to have plenty in stock. And if you need something they have them in a matter of a few days. So I do not know who owns the Craftsman Brand now but they are seemingly doing one H of a good job. So some very reputable companies are getting some of the Remington Brand and probably make improvements. We know Ruger manufactures some top of the line products. As well as Vista = Federal Ammunition!

rn-cindy likes this.
  11. rn-cindy

Stanley owns Craftsman now..and have pledged to bring alot of the manufacturing back to USA.. So yea..sometimes these things work out to the good...

ellis36, Rifling82 and Sniper03 like this.
  12. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

My wife used to work at Sears, Lampert was steering that ship into the rocks long before he bought what was left in bankruptcy. She worked there for 4 years, 3 different times her position was eliminated at the corporate level as a cost savings measure. But each time she was reassigned to a new title that the store didn't have someone hired for & continued to do the exact same job as before. So if every store is doing that, how is it cutting costs? One time, the regional manager from Denver showed up to do an assessment & complained the store was under staffed & they need to hire more people. The store manager told her we have adds placed in all the papers & online & they set up booths at all the local job fairs, no one is applying. Regional manager says "well you need to offer a higher starting wage, what do you start at?"
    "$11 an hour."
    "Oh that's way too high, in Denver we start at $8."
    Store manager says that's not gonna cut it, mcdonalds & walmart start at $13 to $14 never mind the oilfield jobs that start at $20. No one is going to come here for less money than the competitors. Regional manager didn't believe that & told them to figure it out. With leadership like that, the writing was very clearly on the wall.

G66enigma, Rifling82 and rn-cindy like this.
  13. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

I hope so but with all the entry level bolt guns costing little more than H&R's single shots that might be a tough sell.

locutus likes this.
  14. JTJ

Henry, CVA and Traditions are all selling single shots.

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

None of them ejects spent cases like H&R did. I also like the push down thumb break better than what the rest of them offer. And none are US made except for the pricey Henry.

Anyone knows if the lawsuits killed Remington?

JTJ and BullMoose429 like this.
  16. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no complaints about Ruger taking Marlin. I love the old Marlins- would love to see Ruger level quality on Marlin guns

G66enigma, freefall, JTJ and 2 others like this.
  17. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Now there is a concept I could get behind.

Imagine ... old-school quality and reliability reinjected into the Marlin line of lever-action rifles. Might interest me, again, if that could be accomplished. (Until then, it's ~mid-'50s vintage Marlins for me, if any.)

BullMoose429 and Rifling82 like this.
  18. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a Marlin 1894P .44mag and a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag. Along with a Marlin 1894CP .357mag and ... well, I never did complete that pair with a .357 revolver, though a Ruger GP100 or SP101 (with longer bbl) might have done nicely. Sold the Marlins once it was clear both had the "in with two" design flaw. Sold them for about $1K for the pair; nowadays, either one goes for north of $900, relatively rare as they are. Ah, well.