remington 870

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Michael11010, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Michael11010

Michael11010 New Member

If I shoot unsaboted slugs out of my regular barrel with a mod choke will it hurt it in anyway

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

shoot any slugs you want, it will not harm your gun

3. truggles

truggles New Member

This is what I do. I take my muzzleloader normally but occasionally I will take it if we push small woods or something. No damage that I can see.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

It is recommended that non-saboted slugs be shot in smooth bore barrels. In this case, the slug is rifled which causes it to spin as it travels the length of the barrel.

The saboted slugs work best in rifled barrels. In this case the rifling of the barrel causes the smooth sided, saboted slug to spin.

Will it hurt anything to shoot a saboted slug in a smooth bore? Probably not, but likley could not hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle. It is the spin of the projectile that produces accuracy.

Do not shoot rifled slugs in a rifle barrel!

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"Do not shoot rifled slugs in a rifle barrel! "
    When rifled barrels became readily available there was ONLY rifled slugs. You can shoot whatever you want as far as slugs in your gun with no harm. Look at any box of slugs it says it right on the box(or at least it used to). A wise person would most likely try several kinds and brands of slugs to see what his particular gun shot the best. No company is going to to make any ammo in a particular caliber that can harm guns in that caliber with putting warnings ALL over the box. The only possible example I can think of is +P ammo. Even that is not going to hurt your gun without shooting a bunch of it.

6. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Don't go any tighter than modified. I know you can use cylinder and I believe improved cylinder chokes. If you shoot a slug threw a choke with a tighter choke, you can damage the choke and the barrel. Do not shoot without a choke.

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

It won't hurt the gun but shooting rifled slugs in a rifled barrel with foul up the the riflings in the barrel with lead and eventually it basically be a smooth bore barrel

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

This is why I said do not shoot rifled slugs in your rifled barrel, did not mean to imply it would explode or something.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Corrections: rifled slugs do not impart much if any spin to the slug in the barrel, and as said, firing rifled slugs in a rifled barrel only cause some fouling (which if you clean routinely does nothing long term IMO).

Rifled slugs work best typically w/a little choke -- you're good to go.

10. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

that is another reason i went with the optic mount over buying a cantilever barrel

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Yes,you may shoot any "rifled"slug through any smoothbore shotgun barrel.Reason it that the rifling on the slug is so deep that the rifling ridges on the slug will compress if the slug uncounters a choke--this is the actual reason why rifled slugs are so accurate,you get a custom fit of that slug to any smooth barrel.I wouldn't do it in a full or turkey choke though,probably would't be an issue,I just would feel like maybe it's too much of a squeeze for my comfort level.Cyl,imp,mod I would without worry.

12. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I'm not a shotgunner as far as slugs go, my shotgunning is limited to bird and buckshot, but I am assuming you can shoot rifled slugs in full choke barrels such as the old Winchester 12s or 97s without removable choke tubes? I know a lot of older guys around here who only had full choke guns back in the old days and they shot slugs sometimes and didn't seem to damage any of the guns.

13. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

with thread in chokes, you can destroy your gun with with anything tighter than modified, or so I was told. even if it doesn't why would you want to slow a slug down with it constricting the slug? i can see that causing accuracy issues and such.

14. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I shoot rifled slugs in my 870 all the time through mod choke with no problems... If u want to shoot sabots slugs then buy the rem rifled choke before you shoot one... I've shot in at 100 yard with 1" moa using that match... Just wish those dam slugs where just a tad bit cheaper!!!!

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

15. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

But I u want a Renington 870 rifled barrel for $100 bucks lmk!

@TooStrongTerry