Remington 870

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by UncleBuck, Aug 14, 2007.

1. UncleBuck

UncleBuck New Member

I have a remington 870 with rust on the barrel, what would be the best method to remove the rust?

2. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

Heavy Pitted Rust or just a light surface type?
    You can use a product called Never Dull to remove light surface rust. Never Dull is a Cotton wad that is impregnated with metal polish and can be found in a small silver can at Kmart and Wal Mart.
    Heavier rust can be removed with 0000 steel wool and light oil. This may remove the blueing on the firearm.
    Pitting rust you are on your own....

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

rust

For small pits, I have had good results with a pencil. The graphite will gently scratch away the rust and leave a protective coating.

+1 on the 0000 steel wool and light oil or solvent. The key is to get the steel wool sopping wet and re-wet frequently. Do not apply too much pressure or you can remove the bluing. The rust you are removing is more abrasive than the steel wool so the solvent/oil will flush it away.

If you can find it, brass wool is even better. I think Brownells carries it.

4. JeffWard

JeffWard New Member

If the reciever is fine, and the barrel is bad, Remington makes plenty of extra barrels for 870s. I own three. They are availible online withot the need for a FFL. Ebay has plenty. Contact your local Remington dealer for new.

BTW, I own:
    20" Imp Cyl Slug barrel (self def)
    20" CUSTOM Full Choke Sighted Barrel (Remington ony made a few for the NYS Troopers
    24" Variable choke barrel w/ three choke tubes.

If you're using the fun for hunting, the variable chokes are awesome.

Jeff

5. Tilt

Tilt New Member

Bad thing about buying a new barrel is you can almost buy a new 870 Express for the price. Try this link, sometimes they have a good deal.
    http://barrelexchange.com/

6. gunsgunsguns

gunsgunsguns New Member

Howz it goin fellas?? im new on this site??? and dont no any ting about barrrels!! quick qustion about remington 870 im looking at buying one!!! do u only have to hit the mag relase for the 1st shell or must you acess the mag release (which is in an awkward position) for each individual time u cycle the pump???

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Welcome 3guns.

After the trigger has been pulled the action can be cycled without use of the release tab. There should be an owners manual if you bought new, or you can get one on line. Good idea to read the manual with any new firearm.

8. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I would highly recommend AFTER you buff down your barrel with 0000 steel wool, clean it with a good solvent and put COLD BLUE on your barrel. This helps prevent future rust problems. Cold Blue only affects the rusted areas...

9. gunsgunsguns

gunsgunsguns New Member

Thanks a million jo da plumber!! oh ill have plenty of time to read up it can tak months to get your gun lisence processed in ireland!! hey i no shiping guns is illigal But would it be illgal to order pump and stock from elswhere if i wanted to change from camo to traditional wood finish???

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Gun laws differ and I have no idea about Irish laws. Here in California where I live you can order any parts for a California legal gun, shipped straight to your house. The main frame, called a receiver, has to be ordered through a dealer and registered. The receiver is where the serial number is stamped.

11. gunsgunsguns

gunsgunsguns New Member

ah shur ill prob be able to pick up stock nd pump somewhere or swap wit someone round d locality!! hey thanks for all d advice bud!!! one last q!! slugs are hard to atain here and requir special lisence... i want ammunition with a fair bit of distance cuz its hard to get close to rabits wen were lamping and dont want to go buyin rifle just now. if i were to break seal on shell and replace pellets with large lead or steal ball bearing wud dis work?? if so how wud i reseal shell?? and is it wise to attempt this????

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Sorry 3 guns. I don't have any reloading experiance so I don't know the answer to that. Maybe someone else can take this one.
    Jo

13. gunsgunsguns

gunsgunsguns New Member

ah shur mite figure it out bit of trail and error!! thanks ny way!!!!!!!!

14. rugermike

rugermike New Member

No No NO!!!

Not a wise choice to change projectiles with powder that has been loaded for some other projectile?:(

Wow! I hope you don't try this!:eek:

Crimping and powder is completely different from shot shells Versa to slug shell!:eek:

Back to the original question is this barrel blued or express version? because it does make a difference in how you remove the rust on each type?

15. gunsgunsguns

gunsgunsguns New Member

thats good advice and ill tak it!! maybe in the rite circumctances with old gun pertective gear etc... slugs are restricted were im from so we have to make do!!
    i dont no about guns in perticul but for treating steel in general......

This is a very successful 3 step system by KBS Coatings:
    Step #1: Klean it with AquaKlean! This remarkable, heavy-duty, water-based concentrate penetrates so deeply and effectively that all contamination and unwanted surface residue is removed. You are left with a completely clean surface which is of utmost importance for a coating's ability to penetrate and permanently adhere.

Step #2: Blast it with RustBlast! This powerful water-based rust remover and zinc phosphate metal etch provides an ideal surface for optimal coverage and permanent adhesion. Your prepared surface now yields enough texture for a deep chemical bonding of any coating to the base metal and rust.

Step #3: Seal it with RustSeal! This incredible, non-porous, flexible coating chemically bonds to metal to permanently seal rust by blocking all pores and locking out moisture and oxygen. .
    Source(s):
    Stop Rust - Preferred 4 to 1 over POR-15 - Gas Tank Sealer - KBS Coatings - RustSeal in Colors