Remington 870 Wingmaster any good?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Snake, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Snake

Snake New Member

I've heard a lot of good things about the 870 series of pump actions. I like the look of 870 Wingmaster. Beautiful walnut stock.

Anybody fired it? I shouldn't imagine it would be much different than the others in the series..?

2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

870 ??

I have had a few over these many years.

Loved them. :D

Shot Trap, Skeet, and did some bird hunting.

Have at least one in the safe.

If I needed a pump gun ,

Wouldn't hesitate to buy the 870.

3. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Thje Wingmaster is the top of the Remington 870 series--it is a true classic, the most highly produced shotgun of all time, and arguably the best pump shotgun ever produced. You can't go wrong with one.

4. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Exactly what he said ... Best pump shotgun out there aside from their newest model the 887 super duper nitro magnum;)

5. Snake

Snake New Member

Thanks guys. I've had my eye on that one for a while.

6. rustycrusty

rustycrusty New Member

I've only had mine for about 30 yrs so I haven't really gotten it broken in good but it does seem to go bang every time I pull the bang lever. The thing most favorable about the 870 is the vast array of barrels, stocks et c. that can be bought for it. If you can only get one shotgun make it an 870.:D

7. Snake

Snake New Member

I heard a lot of people have had some issues with the finish on the 870 range. Like it came off over time, or it wasn't the best quality. Is this true?

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

870 ranger

the ranger is the least expensive 870 you get what you pay for i shoot beretta o/u for clays and skeet but my 870 is still a favorite for trap only 1 shotgun 870 is one of the top contenders

9. Swampbilly

Swampbilly New Member

Remington has sold approximately 10 million 870 shotguns in the history of that model. They are a very fine, quality, reliable gun.

Regards,

Swampbilly

10. jbs7976

jbs7976 New Member

I just picked up a 1950 12 ga wingmaster 2 3/4" only with matching ser# on barrel and reciever in what I would say was 90% cond only because the recoil pad was dry rot and colapsing. I have ordered a pachmyer decelorator slip on. as the foreend and rear stock are also excellent shape.The only problem was some one had an old poly choke professionally placed on the 28 or 30 inch full barrel.But this thing is the smoothest Ive seen It is actually nicer than my 870 20 ga LT weight 1987.which is like new.
    jsmith

11. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I have a wingmaster that my father gave me for Christmas when I was 16, STILL a looks great and shoots better.

Almost EVERY police car in america has one of these locked in it's trunk or dash board. Not a wingmaster but same shot gun. Got one of those also.

Infact I have 6 870's ALL shoot great. Depending on the price, you had better pull the pin on that transaction and soon.

Nyother details on this, Gauge? Barrel Length? choke? most Wingmasters were made and sold prior to the remchokes so it might be Improved Cyl, Modified or even Full.

How much they asking? Hell I might just need another.

12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

870 lt wt you talking about the spl field english grip? had one about that age begining of screw in chokes if your 1950 mod has far wood and blue get another pad fitted and have fun

13. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

Snake,

I suspect what you've heard are complaints regarding the finish on the Rem 870 Express shotgun.

Not the finish on the 870 Wingmaster shotgun.

14. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

express vs wingmaster

you get what you pay for 90%of the time

15. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

ANY finish will go to pot if you don't take care of it. Expresses are made to be tools. Meat Sticks. Mine is the ugliest gun in the goose pit (next to a friends 870 with "Eat Me" carved in the butt). I don't care. it kills geese and ducks in some of the worst conditions and never burps.

16. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

No - It isn't just any finish. That metal finish Rem puts on the Express is notorious for being "hit and miss"! Some report good results and some report very poor results. The ones reporting poor results say their express finish will literatliy rust right before their eyes when wet.

17. VAGlocker

VAGlocker New Member

Even the 870 Express is good... very few parts to maintain and very sturdy to use.:cool:

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

A lot of people claim to have had issues with the 870 Express finish. The Wingmaster is polished and blued. My 1976 version still looks fine.

19. powg

powg New Member

rem 870

have had wingmaster ,have an express now ,that ive tricked out for all around utility work hunting /defense ....probably the best shotgun ever made .the wingmaster is a high grade ,beautiful wood and great blueing.you cant go wrong with either the wingmaster or the express