Remington 870 tactical 12g shell extraction problems?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Robocop63, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Robocop63

Robocop63 New Member

I bot my 870 brand new a couple of years ago. I clean it after every range day. While at the range after a coiple of shots it locks up and wont eject the shell. Any input or thoughts?

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Clean. clean. clean? Some of the newer 870's supposedly have rough chambers. This attracts dirt and allows the shell to expand into the small recesses. Try polishing the chamber with flitz or butchs bore shine.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What ammo? I have seen plenty of perfectly good shotguns lockd up by firing crappy ammo.

4. Robocop63

Robocop63 New Member

Thanks Primer...ill try it

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have seen the finish so thick in new 870 chambers I wondered how the gun got through QC like that. Wrap steel wool around a dowel. Splitting the dowel makes it easier to wrap steel wool around it. Then use a drill to remove the excess finish. If that fails you will have the barrel prepared for polishing as primer1 suggested.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  6. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Remington sucks. Quality isn't what it used to be.

7. Robocop63

Robocop63 New Member

Thanks john deer ill try that as well

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

And some people have had zero problems with new remingtons. Perhaps inconsistent quality.

9. jyo

jyo New Member

A bunch of problems with crappy bulk 12 ga ammo---especially Winchester brand. Newer 870s tend to have rough chambers---a nice chamber polish job seems to cure this. My older 870s seem to have no issues with any 12 ga ammo. The cheaper "Express" models seem to have a lot more problems---especially the last few years production.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Move the patented and trademarked Remington Ammo Conservation Selector Switch to the "Off" position. It is located just alongside the "it's not the action, it's the pointability" decal found on 870 Express'.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012