Remington 870 (plain model)

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by ExpressMagnum, Apr 14, 2013.

1. ExpressMagnum

ExpressMagnum New Member

Can I shoot magnum 3" turkey loads out of a regular 870? It is not a express, supermag, on the side it says "Remington 870" can I shoot magnum turkey loads?

2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Check on the barrel, if the barrel did not come on the gun when you got it I would contact Remington.

3. ExpressMagnum

ExpressMagnum New Member

It just says "*2 3/4" and 3" only*"

4. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

There you go then.

5. ExpressMagnum

ExpressMagnum New Member

6. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

Absolutely! Now go shoot that turkey. I have an 870 and I patterned it today with 3" Nitro Mags.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Most turkey loads are labeled as "magnum", as in the maximum load for their length. Back in the day we called 2.75 inch magnums "high brass", because of the longer brass on the base of the shell.

If your gun is chambered for 3 inch shells, then you can shoot 2.75 or 3 inch magnums.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

There is an exception. I have a 3" barrel on my 870, but it is on an older 2 3/4 receiver. The barrel will take it, but the receiver won't load them. I had bought the gun used and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what was going on.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I was assuming that Goober's gunshop had not performed a tuneup. :rolleyes:

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have a Remington Express Super Magnum that shoots 3.5'' shells so I have all lengths of 12ga covered. Sometimes those turkey loads are brutal but you should try a 3.5'' 00Buck load. Them badboys are no joke.

If your gun shoots 3'' shells it will shoot all 3'' shells whether its bird,buck, or slug or whatever.

11. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

Take a look at the serial number stamped on the side of the reciever. as long as it is followed with M you are good to go with Magnums. (Taken from the manual from my 870 Express)

Happy Hunting!