Remington 870 express mag barrels

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by VASH1456, Jan 20, 2012.

1. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

I recently bought a rem 870 express mag and i was wondering how can you tell if your choke is removable or not?. When i look down the barrel (when it's not loaded) I can see the choke. It is silver and i can see were it starts and ends. It also has these 4 marks at the tip of the choke........all advice is appreciated...................... Thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Sounds like a Remchoke setup to me. You also should see notches in the outer ring of the choke. The notches accomodate the choke wrench.

Did you purchase a new or used gun? If new it should have included multiple choke tubes and a T-shaped device (choke wrench) to install and remove them with.

If used and the seller did not furnish the extras, go to a sporting goods store and purchase extras and the wrench. Remchokes can usually be found in Walmart.

Remchokes have the size, full, modified, improved cylinder, skeet, etc. written on the exterior.

3. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

Would the notches be inside the choke or at the tip if it was removable?

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The very end of the barrel, like 1/8 inch or so in depth.

5. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

Yeah its a removable choke. I used my buddy's choke wrench to remove it for cleaning. Thanks for the advice