Remington 788

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by navyguns, Sep 22, 2013.

1. navyguns

navyguns New Member

I'm new to FirearmsTalk. I'm an avid reloader and shooter. I have a son who is in Afghanistan who will be coming home in a about a month. He recently bought a used 788 in 308 and asked me to tune up a hunting load for him for deer season this year. He bought a new Nikon scope for it and we shot it shortly after he bought it with factory match 168 grain ammo. I noted that the scope mount that was mounted on the gun was not the right one, so I bought a new Weaver mount. When I went to install it, I found that the screws that came with the mount were too small in diameter. Although the holes in the receiver showed no signs of rework, the holes in the mount were clearly "drilled out". I'm wondering if there are mulitple sizes for the scope mount holes that are "standard" or "factory" for the receiver? I'm concerned that someone may have "drilled out" the receiver for bigger screw holes and may have weakened it? Don't want to start working up a max load for this gun if the receiver has been altered. It's probably more likely that someone has altered the mount, but I'm surprised that the new Weaver screws are too small. Just being cautious. Anybody know about the 788?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Mount holes are either 6-48 or 8-40 at least 99% of the time. If the screws you have are too small try the 8-40 screws.

3. navyguns

navyguns New Member

Thanx very much. I'll give it a try.