Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to the forum and would like any thoughts you might offer on a gun purchase.

I've been eyeing Remington 788's for some time and am really interested in acquiring one in 6mm or 7mm-08 eventually. Mainly as a utilitarian "working gun" for deer. I spotted a used 30-30 in a local gun shop with an asking price of $399. Stock is in pretty good shape with some typical dings and wear around both swivel attachments. Blueing is great until you get toward the muzzle end - then some mild discoloration/surface rust.

I understand this model is relatively rare in 30-30. Would you guys grab this if it could be had for $300-$350? Don't know that I have a particular fondness for bolt action 30-30's but is it one of those rare "opportunities" as it were or would you save the money and apply it toward a desired caliber? Are 788's overpriced and overrated?

Thanks for any opinions you are willing to offer. :)

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
First off, welcome to the Forum.

I don't know about rare - but a 788 in .30-30 isn't real common just because of the cartridge. They produced plenty of them in other more common hunting calibers ( .243, .22-250, .308 ).

I think the thing that makes this weapon a bit better than the 700 is the fact that it has a short 60 degree bolt throw because of the 9 locking lugs. That makes it a stronger action and better for inherent accuracy.

If you like the gun, it doesn't sound like a bad price, but if you aren't dying for the caliber, I don't think you are going to find a market where you could buy this and turn around to double your money.

Your Mileage May Vary - Some of the Remington guys should be along shortly to give to the real story. :D

JD

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
There's good news and bad news. The bad news first-they are already starting to creep up, just a little, in collector's value. That means we'll never be able to get them again for 100-200$ again. They are GREAT shooters as Dillinger said. In fact, when Remington brought them out as economy alternative to the 700, they consistantly outshot the 700. I still have 3 of them, 1 in .22/250, and 2 7mm08 caliber carbines. The 18 1/2" barreled version was produced in 1983-1984. The last year for 788 production was 1984. Personally, unless it was at a VERY good price and meant for beater hunter, I would hold out for an .308 or 7mm08. The only bad thing I've seen about them is once in a great while, 1 will come in for repair because of bolt handle breaking off/coming loose, but this is extremely rare and easy fix when it does happen.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
I would have to concur. The .30-30 has probably taken a lot of game in it's day, but it's just not an ideal round, in my opinion, unless you are already set up for reloading it & happen to love it.

JD

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies! You have reinforced my sentiments on the .30-30 bolt. I'll look for a .308 or 7mm08 since I am more into "working guns" than collecting or selling and these do seem like more versatile calibers.Again, Thank You!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Don't get me wrong, IF you reload, the 30-30 can be VASTLY improved, I rechambered my Contender 14" barrel to 30-30 Ackley Improved, and used 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and it was awesome! You CAN load spitzer bullets in the 788s and rechamber them, it's just a LOT easier to get a .308 or 7mm08 and not go to that kind of trouble.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've got more than a few animals on a .30-30. It's a good round for up close work and it will drop an average sized deer with well placed shot.

I've always been a big fan of heavy and slow bullets. A Mack truck traveling at 30 mph will do much more damage than a Honda Civic traveling at 60 mph.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got more than a few animals on a .30-30. It's a good round for up close work and it will drop an average sized deer with well placed shot.

I've always been a big fan of heavy and slow bullets. A Mack truck traveling at 30 mph will do much more damage than a Honda Civic traveling at 60 mph.
Hello, this is my very first post for I just signed in as a new member.
I was reading up on some information regarding the 788 in 30-30 caliber. I have one that needs a bit of work on the extractor and the trigger assembly. First thing is the trigger, it mounts on a key way and is sucured with a 1/16" roll pin. It broke on the receiving end so I need to find a way to hold the trigger assembly in place. The trigger assembly is fine.
The other problem is the extractor on the bolt is broken off and needs replacing.
If anyone knows where I can get this part and have a suggestion as to mount the trigger assembly would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Bill

·
Supporting Member
13,108 Posts
Bugle
Stalkingbear is spot on with his suggestion.
Also with some cosmetic defects on the 30-30 788 makes me also wonder about the Bore?
I think you are making a good decision by holding off.

However the 788 Rifles were great little guns. For example they had 9 Locking Lugs at least on the 22-250 I had. I had a Remington BDL in 243 Win. But my little 788 in 22-250 would outshoot my more expensive rifle.
IMO I think that is why they stopped producing them. They were hurting their business when they were less expensive and were so accurate and dependable.

I know you like the Bolt Guns but I bought a Marlin Model 336-C Lever Action 30-30 recently in excellent condition not fired hardly at all for $375. It made in the early 70s when they were making excellent lever action rifles with real Walnut Stocks.

Stalkingbear! I have always been sorry I let that little Remington 788 in 22-250 go!
How does yours shoot? Got any pictures.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Yes, the stud for the trigger to mount to does break off on some.
Have actually seen one in real life. Another person I know had it happen and now there's another on this thread with the same prob.

But the 788 was superior to the 700 and never breaks (or so many have said).
You mention this and they think you're smoking crack.

There is no part to fix it (that I know of). You will have to have one made. I think one guy may have threaded that spot, made a stud for it. Can't remember exactly, been about 10 yrs ago, he said it wasn't a tough job. Can't remember what he charged.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd bet with spritzer boolits it'd be great. My Savage 325 loves them. PAX

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for your quick response. As soon as the China virus takes a brake I will contact the link you provided.
Thanks again, Bill
Hello all,
This is my second post and I'm happy to be a part of the forum.
I have the same problem with my 788 as to the trigger stud being broken. I'm at a loss as to how to make this repair. It broke at the point where the roll pin hole is. I thought about using silver solder to build up and than re-drill but don't want to make any errors beyond repair.
Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, not sure if my post went through so I'll try again.
Regarding my 788 trigger stud being broke. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to go about making this repair. It's broke at the point where the roll pin hole is. I still have about 1/8" of stud left. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought about silver solder and re-drilling a hole for the pin but I really don't want to put any heat to it.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Bill

1 - 20 of 24 Posts