Remington 788 Fans

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by NDMarksman, May 19, 2013.

1. NDMarksman

NDMarksman Member Supporter

I happen to be the proud owner of two Remington 788's. One is chambered in .243 and the other in .223 and they are both tack drivers with my hand loads. The .243 was made in 1974 and the .223 in 1975 and of all the rifles I own they're probably my favorites.

My .243 is on the left and to the right the .223.

Attached Files:

2. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Here's mine. It is chambered in 308. I love this rifle. I just ordered a new EGW 1 piece scope base. Wish it was here. Gonna have a Vortex Viper PST sitting on it.

ForumRunner_20130519_162228.jpg

3. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I love the 788's. I had one in .243 in 1968 I bought brand new for less than $100. Some of the earlier ones had Walnut stocks and mine had a walnut stock. It was extremely accurate w/ my handloads. It was stolen a few lears later. I now have one in .222 Remington and it is very accurate also. It too has a walnut stock.
    ct

4. NDMarksman

Vortex Scopes

I love the Vortex I have on my .243. I really do think you're going to like that scope.

Here's my .243 with the Vortex.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  5. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

My friend has one on his 700 in 308. It's a great scope. I know I will like it.
    What model scope is yours?

6. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have the 788 in .243 with the 18 1/2" barre1. I remember being told it would never be very accurate because of the short barrel but it is an absolute tack driver with the loads I developed for it. I can cloverleaf a 100-yard shot group pretty easy with this rifle. I have had my best results when using H4350 powder. I just ordered some Hornady 105-grain A-Max bullets to try in it. These long bullets should work pretty good because the barrel on these rifles has a 1-in-9 twist rate.

Attached Files:

7. NDMarksman

My Vortex Scope

Mine is the Viper 3-9x40 with BDC Reticle. It's as clear as some of my scopes in the $2K price range.

8. NDMarksman

Nice !! They really are shooters!! I wish Remington would bring this model back to life even if just a one time thing!

9. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

From my understanding the 783 model is kinda like a tribute to the 788.

10. wechols

wechols Member Lifetime Supporter

I remember the bench rest crowd liked them because the lock time was so fast.

11. NDMarksman

Remington 788's

OMG..... I'm gettin' chills guys just hearing all these great experiences with these long forgotten masterpieces of craftsmanship!! It's only those of us lucky enough to own them that can share the thrill of owning and shooting the greatest rifle ever produced that was originally supposed to be a cheap version of a bolt action rifle! I hate to say it but boy did Remington miscalculate that one!!

:cool:

12. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I agree. I can't wait to put my new scope on mine. Pictures to come...

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I totally agree with you about that. I think Remington's original plan was to simply produce a budget rifle and ended up with a classic design.

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I must agree! It was my loss that years ago I either sold or traded my Remington Model 788 in 22-250. Was one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned and compared to a Sako Vixen in 223 I owned. A lot of difference in price and looks but none in accuracy and reliability. And everyone is correct! I think that is why the stopped making them! They were taking the Remington market away from their top of the line rifles. With 9 locking lugs they were unbelievably accurate. The only weak part of the gun was the spring extractor. But I never had a problem with it at all! Wish to find another one some day in 22-250. :)

15. Dave103176

Dave103176 New Member

My father has a 788 in 308 , he has had it ever since i was a kid , its a real tack driver with his hand loads , i took my first buck with it when i was 13 , i was recently talking to him about it and he told me years ago there was a guns and ammo article on it , and remington built it as the poor man's rifle for the most part and that the reason they did away with it was that it out shot all there more expensive guns , he said it broke his heart when they quit making them , he said he wished he knew what he does about them now cause he would have bought more of them back then

16. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Funny how Remington could build such tack drivers in the 70s but a brand new high dollar 700 BDL won't get you 2 moa unless you really lucked out, am I the only one who has noticed this?

17. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

No, you aren't the only one who has noticed this because I have heard this from a few other shooters. They said their 788 outshot their new 700s hands down.

18. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

This is my model 788 in .308. Just put a Vortex Viper PST 6x24 on her. Can't wait to shoot it!

ForumRunner_20130525_120244.jpg

19. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Is that an aftermarket barrel? looks kind of heavy contour for stock. I have never owned a 788 of my own but that is one rifle that has been on my wish list for some time, along with a Savage 99, a REAL Marlin 336, and an oldschool Remington 600. I don't think there is any modern rifle that can best a 788 not even my superb Tikka T3 or my (FN) Winchester 70 Featherweight.

20. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Mine is factory as far as I know. The barrel says Remington on it.