Remington 788 discussion.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sloejoe, Jun 7, 2010.

1. sloejoe

sloejoe New Member

I've heard & read all the reasons a person shouldn't buy a Rem 788. Does anyone have any accurate failure stitistics on the failures. I have found a nice 788 in .243 caliber for $375.00 & would like to have some first hand info on failures & also some published data of failures.(like 1 out of 10-50-100 etc, failure rate). I know that user treatment is important but it would be a rifle failure non-the-less. Can any one give info.

2. greydog

greydog Member

I'm pretty sure such data would be unavailable; mostly because it wasn't worth collecting.
    I performed Remington warranty work for about ten years during the period the 788 was manufactured. Failures which were common enough to be considered notable included:
    Bolt stop breakage. (faulty heat treat)
    Bolt handle coming off (faulty silver brazing)
    Misfiring. (mainspring issues)
    Ejection problems (this was related to the ejection angle and the tendency for empties to strike the scope turret)
    In general, the 788 was an interesting rifle which has to be considered to have been an engineering exercise. It cost more to build than a 700 and was not as reliable, was heavier, and was more limited. The only reason for you to choose the 788 over any other rifle would be that it interests you.
    Remington might have some warranty clainm data but it is unlikely they would be willing to share it. GD

3. sloejoe

sloejoe New Member

Thanks greydog for the info--in view of the scary reports I think I will pass on this 788.I want a .243 but I want one i'm not afraid to shoot. $375.00 is a good price but it may be a pig in a poke

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I've worked on 788s that came into my shop and the #1 problem was the bolt handle coming off, which is an easy fix. Remington brought them out originally to serve as an economy rifle. In fact most of them would actually outshoot the flagship 700 models. I still have 1 out of the several I've owned-a 7mm08, and my daughter has claimed that.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

788's seem to have something of a cult following. Some people love them. I have a few friends that have multiple examples. They are trying to obtain one in each caliber ever made (including .44 mag). They seem to be a poor mans collectable.

6. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Everyone I've known that has one never had an ounce of trouble with the 788. My brother has one in 6mm Remington for over 40 years, not an issue.

7. sloejoe

sloejoe New Member

stalkingbear, you say the bolt handle is an easy fix. Why was many people looking for a bolt replacement? Is the bolt handle an easy fix to a qualified 'smith or are the smiths that can fix these handles a special breed? Sorry for the questions but I am trying to either talk myself into buying this 788 in .243 or let it go. I really like the looks & feel of this Arm. Thanks.

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It's a simple matter for a smith to braze the bolt handle back on if it ever comes off. Any smith worth their name can do this. If it helps you all the 788s I've personally had never came apart like that although I have had to fix several of them for other people. I happen to like 788s even better than a lot of "better" rifles.

9. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

for what it is worth, i have two of the 788's . i hunt and shoot them both . niether has given me any trouble .one in 6mm and one in 308 . the 308's mag does rattle slightlythen the 6mm . they both shoot tight groups .

wrench .

p.s. i'd buy another .....

10. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The only repairs I've had to do on the 788s is the bolt handle. I have never had any problems with ones that I have owned though. If you can pick one up for a good price, by all means, do so...

Jim.............

11. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I have a model 788 in 308 and I love the firearm. It has always come through with no issues what so ever. I keep it really clean and check it on a regular basis because of all the negatives I have heard.
    I LOVE THE GUN!

12. sloejoe

sloejoe New Member

Thanks loads, i find many who share your feelings toward the 788. Still undecided tho--wish someone would buy it before I get around to it

13. SemperRogue

SemperRogue New Member

I like the Remington 788, especially those that came out with the dark walnut stocks. It looked hard and ready to work. The birch seems to be all that I see in the pawnshops and consignment shelves.

I never had a problem with the 788, it shot well (6mm, 308, 223, 30-30) and brought home some well fed groceries.

I liked the .223 and 6mm. I wish still had them both but like some, I got into a fever over shinier things and traded them off.

The 30-30 was killer on feral dogs and probably the only trap line rifle I ever carried. Something about that big slug that soothed me I suppose.

My only complaint was the magazine and maybe the bolt handle. Never had a bolt handle break but on some very cold mornings I wondered if it would happen. The magazine, mind you this was a few years ago, was something either horribly expensive or not available. I'm sure things have changed.

If you come across a .223 drop me a line and I'd be very happy to talk to you.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My .223 broke the bolt stop before I got it from my cousin, and my .308 broke the bolt handle. Easy fix, though. I love the 788s but probably won't buy any more due to the parts rarity.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My brother had a 788 man that was one hell of a shooting 308. It was a pencil thin barrel and that thing would turn in 5 shot groups that were all cutting each other.

16. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I had a 788 22/250 I got in the late 60s. Sweeeet piece, You could cover a 5 shot group that the bottom of a casing would cover easily. The only problem I had was my ex got it when we divorced. I still (34 years later) pine for it. Probably hasn't been shot since. Biatch!!

17. ltoutdoors

ltoutdoors New Member

Value of 788

Hello:
    I have a Remington 788 in 6mm. and it has been parkized and painted. Gun shoots .5 to .75 MOA and it has probably 300 rounds thru it since new.

Any ideas on its value?

thanks

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If original finish's and good condition of 90% +, all depending on your market could be as high as 400 to 450. Refinished may take away from the value, atleast it would for me. That would cost you atleast a 100 bucks off those prices. Allways nice to be able to see how the rifle looks a'natural. no dressing up. Don't sell it, you will regrete it. Mine was bought new in 1976 in 308. 550 would not but it ether as I doubt anything new can out shot it for twice the money.

19. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Need more info. Optics. Etc.....
    In my area I have seen them from 300 to 500 bucks depending on accessories and condition.

Thomas

20. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I just bought a 788 in .222 Remington. I should have it Wednesday. I had a 788 in .243 that I bought new in 1969. It was the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Never had a problem with it. It was stolen in a house burglary in 1973. Mine had the original walnut stock and my new (to me) one has a walnut stock also. I'm kind of replacing the old one after all of these years, all be it in a different caliber. The only complaint I have against the 788 is that the rear locking lugs cause the cases to stretch more than in a rifle that has front locking lugs. The handloader just has to trim them more often.
    cottontop