remington 770

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by thegimip, Jun 12, 2011.

1. thegimip

thegimip New Member

ive herd alot of bad reviews about em but i figured id give it a shot.

what i dislike is the bolt stick allittle so it makes a follow up shot a little akward but it shoots good, the cheap scope aint to bad, ive put about 50 rounds thru it so far and for a varmit gun its good.

ive put down a coon and cyotee so far each only one shoot

i think the issue with the bolt is the bolt lock. ive been working with and it has gottin smoother, but im still tring to figure a way to smooth it alittle more. so any suggestion is appreciated

my next step is a new scope but im in no rush cause with what im shootin and the yardage it does the job

2. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Which caliber 770?
    My local Walmart has a 300 WINMAG I've got my eye on. I saw a different caliber at a different Walmart.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I realize it may shoot good BUT the model 770 is simply a revamped version of the POS model 710. I'd advise trading it off before the bolt gets to the point that it sticks so bad followup shots are impossible. You can get a Marlin X7 or a Savage Axis for about the same money and they'll both last a lifetime. They'll also likely outshoot the Remington 770 too. I urge you to think about getting a rifle that don't have the poor track record of the Remington 710/770.

4. thegimip

thegimip New Member

its a .270
    martho clean and lube that bolt good if you get it also work with the lock for the bolt........push the lock all the way down the work it up till the bolt slides easier im calling remington tomarro and see what they say and then im calling my local smith

ill trade sometime along the way but for now its ok for what i want it for

i knew it was a revamp of the 710 but ill try almost anything once:D and with what im shooting one shot typically does the job and if not i got my pistol or my shotgun to finish off:p

5. thegimip

thegimip New Member

marthor..........if you plan on shooting a crap load of rounds this isnt the gun to get

this is for those pesky cyotees in my back yard and for the coons that happen that happen to be by the tree line

i got it cause this rifle will be lucky to see 100 rounds in a years time, the only reason for already putting 50 rounds thru it is i always throw 50 rounds thru any new gun i get

6. natman

natman Member

Why would you buy a 770, when for similar money you could have a Savage or Marlin, either of which is a far superior rifle?

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Look, he already bought the rifle. Why are you throwing this in after the fact? That's no help at all. It's not your place to second-guess his choice.

8. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

A friend of mine had one in .308 for a little while and I enjoyed shooting it. We never got to go hunting with it, but busting cinder blocks, watermelons, and old printers in the back yard sure was fun.

9. thegimip

thegimip New Member

your target practice sounds like mine lol

10. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Yeah, the watermelon is definitely one of my fav's. It can get a bit expensive and impractical if you go through too many of them though lol.

11. natman

natman Member

What part of

was supposed to make me believe he'd already bought the rifle?

I'd suggest that you read the posts a bit more carefully before setting out to put people in their place.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

This part:
    "ive herd alot of bad reviews about em but i figured id give it a shot.

what i dislike is the bolt stick allittle so it makes a follow up shot a little akward but it shoots good, the cheap scope aint to bad, ive put about 50 rounds thru it so far and for a varmit gun its good.

ive put down a coon and cyotee so far each only one shoot

i think the issue with the bolt is the bolt lock. ive been working with and it has gottin smoother, but im still tring to figure a way to smooth it alittle more. so any suggestion is appreciated

my next step is a new scope but im in no rush cause with what im shootin and the yardage it does the job "

This was the OP. Maybe YOU should read a little better. Are you in your place yet? Doesn't matter who you were responding to, the OP probably read your post that was dissing his choice in rifles.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

2 points Lon

0 point natman.

14. natman

natman Member

I quoted the person I was responding to. It should be crystal clear that I was talking to him.

I didn't address the OP directly. I didn't insult him personally. I didn't even insult the 770. I'm sorry if the OP might discover that there are better rifles out there than the 770, but he's going to find that out anyway. If he doesn't want to read honest feedback about his rifle, he shouldn't post about it on the internet.

Now if I've violated some unspoken rule on this forum that if someone posts a thread about a rifle everything said about it has to be positive, my apologies to the OP.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You don't think the OP would go back and read the thread?

My point is this: why insult someone about a choice they've made, whether the insult is direct or indirect? If I were you, I would have taken a pass on the response and been sensitive to someone's feelings. It's pretty clear that the 770 is what the OP could afford at the time, and he's probably proud of it, as he should be. Why tear that down? He never asked for your opinion on his purchase.

16. natman

natman Member

I figured the OP was a grown man who knew that the 770 was looked down upon - "ive herd alot of bad reviews about em but i figured id give it a shot." and could stand reading another. Keeping someone else from making what is, IMO, a mistake seemed a higher priority. BTW, I did NOT insult the either the OP or the 770, I merely pointed out that, again IMO, there were better rifles out there for the money.

I've already apologized once. Sorry if that's not good enough for you.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  17. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I guess I'm guilty of badmouthing the OP's choice but am looking out for his best interests. Nobody is paying me to promote 1 brand while badmouthing another. I've just had too many rifles come to me to be repaired or sent back to Remington. I'm looking at it from a gunsmith's view and I'm sure that the OP wants a rifle that will last his whole life. Sorry if I was out of line.

18. thegimip

thegimip New Member

you guys seem seem to be having it worst than me lol

let clarify i knew about the reviews about the 770 and know what the complaints are i got it because i figured what the hell.......i couldnt pass on the price..... and besides i like haveing my own opinion on something instead of relying what others say

this whole pissing contest is ridiculous

i was wanting some ideas for the bolt......i found a good deal for something i could shoot a few cyottes and i could dick around with
    im not ignorant when it comes to fire arms, i have nothing to prove so i guess you could say i dont give a rats *** what others think. my toys are for my enjoyment

im not easily insulted, i dont mind constructive critisism but i have issues with people being childish and talking down to me

if this whole think is going to continue ill just ask to have this deleted

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

It's not just about you. I have a real problem with emboldened Internet experts criticizing someone's purchase after it's been made. Others might not be as "i dont give a rats *** what others think" as you.

20. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I had a 710 in 270 back when I didn't know better. Realized the problem is high friction between the plastic sleeve in the receiver and the metal bolt. I don't know if its the same for the 770. I solved the problem by lubing the bolt with silicone instead of oil - oil will just make it worse. Start with getting one of those silicone impregnated rags from Wali-World and rub the crap out of the bolt to get any oil/grease off and the same with the receiver. Then hunt down some silicone lube. Mine was the smoothest 710 in history. Got rid of it to a dealer for what I paid for it :rolleyes:. Not so sure he knew what he was buying, just that he got a Remington bolt action for $280.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011